Resistor Sound - How is this possible??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2003, 05:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Resistor Sound - How is this possible???

I made a shunt passive preamp, 10k resistor into 10k log pot and tried different series resistors.

Dale RN 55C - sound good
Dale RN60D - sounds relaxed but less good
Sfernice very low ppm metal film - sounds horrible 9 hours ago but keeps improving - now sounds very good and from memory rivals Vishay VSRJ.

How can the sound of a resistor change so much over 9 hours??? The volume setting has remained the same.

There is also a difference between a pair of Tiffany gold plated brass RCAs and the Kimber RCAs, with the latter sounding more 'relaxed'. Mounted next to each other and with same solid silver cable.

If there is such a difference in voicing for a simple passive, what chance have we of getting more complex circuits to sound right except by trial and error???
Old 19th August 2003, 03:11 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Fred

At least 250h for Vishay S102k and same for the Sfernice, and every time you put power on it is minimum few hours. My system
is on 24/7 since many years , and still need 20/30 minutes at reasonnable volume......
Old 19th August 2003, 07:36 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Resistor Sound - How is this possible???
Rediscovering stuff that has been known for 30 years? Or just looking for a fight with one of them scope-heads?
Old 19th August 2003, 08:00 AM   #4
Raka is offline Raka  Europe
diyAudio Member

(whispering: Pss, eh! yes, it's me, could you please tell me where do you buy Dale in Europe? Sorry for the off-topic)
Old 19th August 2003, 08:35 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Resistor Sound - How is this possible???

Quote:
Originally posted by fmak
How can the sound of a resistor change so much over 9 hours??? The volume setting has remained the same.
Not that a resistor can't chage over time, but why assume that it's only the resistor that has changed? Over the period of 9 hours, many things can change. Temperature. Humidity. Ambient noise levels. Power line noise. Etc. Not to mention all the various physiological changes that we humans undergo during the course of a day. And on top of all that we've got an aural memory that's not very good with regard to low level differences and is susceptible to false memories just the same as other memory functions of the human brain. And we haven't even got to the part about all of the various influences which can affect our subjectve perceptions.

Given so many variables involved (more than I've mentioned), I've a hard time understanding how assuming it's the resistor that has changed is any sort of safe assumption.

It's certainly a safe enough assumption from the point of view of what spins our respectie audio beanies at the end of the day, but in terms of trying to get at what's actually going on, I don't see that it's any safer an assumption than a dozen others.

se
Old 19th August 2003, 10:05 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Raka,

try www.schuro.de They now have non magnetic Vishay/Dale RN55.

william
Old 19th August 2003, 10:41 AM   #7
Raka is offline Raka  Europe
diyAudio Member

Thanks,

They have the Dale CMF-55, are they the same?
Old 19th August 2003, 10:42 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Raka
(whispering: Pss, eh! yes, it's me, could you please tell me where do you buy Dale in Europe? Sorry for the off-topic)
---------------------
Yes, thru Farnell but they now charge 12-50 for delivery. Before nothing.
Old 19th August 2003, 10:43 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Raka
Thanks,

They have the Dale CMF-55, are they the same?
------------------------------------
Not sure of the no but I think so. The C is 25 ppm.
Old 19th August 2003, 10:50 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Resistor Sound - How is this possible???

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Steve Eddy
[B]

Not that a resistor can't chage over time, but why assume that it's only the resistor that has changed? Over the period of 9 hours, many things can change. Temperature. Humidity. Ambient noise levels. Power line noise. Etc. Not to mention all the various physiological changes that we humans undergo during the course of a day.
---------------------------------------------
The scientific approach assumes that one has to prove everthing. The issue is:-

Swapping the resistor to another one restores the original sonics after x hours. That is the proof of the pudding.

I am an engineer who makes values judgements as well as scientific ones. If something is real, then it is and I don't go around making all kinds of irrelevant assumptions such as temp change when the resistors are 25 to 2 ppm . My power supply is also well filtered and the raw feed is bad at all times. Noise level and humidity don't change much in England either - we don't have air conditioning.

Hide this!Advertise here!