Help to identify capacitor composition

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all
I am wondering if I could get some help in identifying the capacitors as shown in the picture. I have searched the internet, but can’t find a lot of info.
I would be very interested to know the type / composition.
I purchased large quantities of these types of caps some time ago, from a now defunct surplus store.
So far this is what I have been told / been able to work out, but I could be wrong.

Cap.1 - I was told that it is a silver mica, but I have never seen them this shape. No other markings, other than what is printed.

Cap.2 – As above, and looks to be very similar construction to type 1. However this one has “ITT-273” stamped on the back.

Cap 3 – Now this one I am sure is a silver mica. Has “Lemco” stamped on the back

Cap 4 – No Idea.

Cap 5 – No Idea, has marking “MFD Precision Capacitor”

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Regards
George
VK5ZG

Attachments

• capacitor pic for upload.jpg
    capacitor pic for upload.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Number 4 appears to be an ordinary mica capacitor. Number 5 is perhaps a metallized paper or mylar, not marked MFD as you say, but marked 1 MFD. There is a 1 there. MFD is a substitute for microfarad.

The first two look like Vitramon ceramic multilayer capacitors and the third one looks like an ordinary mica but there were several types made that look like that. Except for the ribbon leads - that's strange.

I got a bunch of these caps and wanted to know what dielectric they are. searching the net made me think it's PPS? but not entirely sure.

Anyone know what they are exactly? (the grey square ones with no plastic encapsulant)

Attachments

• IMG_1655.JPG
    IMG_1655.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1656.JPG
    IMG_1656.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1657.JPG
    IMG_1657.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 130
I have some that look like that which are polyester. Very unlikely to be PPS. If you want to sacrifice one, cut out a few pieces of film, ignite them with a cigarette lighter and cautiously sniff. If they go right up, they're definitely not PPS. A sort of sweet smell is characteristic of polyester. A burning candle smell means polypropylene.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
That are Siemens MKT (polyester) capacitors. Open construction but good sounding. The older ones with greenish sides are MKC (polycarbonate) and those were somewhat better.

One drawback of the open construction is dirt/moisture sensitivy and lead wires that can come off when mechanically treated too rough. They were popular as values could easily be changed by sanding off some material on the upper side. I would not do that but it is possible.

Cap.2 and Cap.4 are silvered-mica caps.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.