Chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You can buy a simple wooden or plastic jig to do this at a lumber store called a miter box and it comes with what is called a back-saw. That is the cheapest tool you can get.

A better alternative is to buy a cheap six pack of beer and have your buddy cut them for you with his power miter saw. Make sure that you stipulate that the beer is to be shared and only after the cutting is done.

Would like to build a simple would chassis with the metal top plate. Anyone have links to how you make the corner cuts? I'm a non-wood worker and can't seem to get 45 degree angles.

But then you have to Figure out how to rabit the wood for the top plate? All this has put the brakes on my future projects! I'm thinking about going with a "ParMetal" enclosure with a couple strips of Walnut bolted to the sides as an alternative....

If you plan to use any kind of hardwood (maple, cherry, oak, etc) and a miter box + saw, you are in for a really tough time! Power tools for hardwood are the best choice. As someone else said, find a buddy w/saw. On the other hand, you can get a nice power miter saw for not too many $. They are small and light and can tuck into a corner closet or garage when not in use. Check out Lowe's or Home Depot to get an idea of what is available.

If you plan to use any kind of hardwood (maple, cherry, oak, etc) and a miter box + saw, you are in for a really tough time! Power tools for hardwood are the best choice. As someone else said, find a buddy w/saw. On the other hand, you can get a nice power miter saw for not too many $. They are small and light and can tuck into a corner closet or garage when not in use. Check out Lowe's or Home Depot to get an idea of what is available.

Have you ever seen some of the houses built before the 1900's? I have lived in many and they tend to have some very ornate wood working inside.

Now, consider these houses were built without power saws and pneumatic or electric nailers and you start to really scratch your head. :D

But then you have to Figure out how to rabit the wood for the top plate? All this has put the brakes on my future projects!

I used a cheap Chinese table saw similar to this one for my earlier builds.

Ryobi 10 in Portable Table Saw with Steel Table - BTS12S at The Home Depot

I have seen that same saw on sale for $79 at the local Home Depot store. Harbor Freight has a tiny table saw for $39 but I haven't seen one yet. Two years ago I upgraded my table saw to a bigger one at a Home Depot black friday sale. Even a cheap table saw can do the 45 degree cuts, and the rabits, and grooves to set the top plate slightly below the top of the wood. I photographed the steps needed to do this over a year ago, but haven't posted them yet. I will get them on the web site in the near future.

I used a cheap Chinese table saw similar to this one for my earlier builds.

Ryobi 10 in Portable Table Saw with Steel Table - BTS12S at The Home Depot

I have seen that same saw on sale for $79 at the local Home Depot store. Harbor Freight has a tiny table saw for $39 but I haven't seen one yet. Two years ago I upgraded my table saw to a bigger one at a Home Depot black friday sale. Even a cheap table saw can do the 45 degree cuts, and the rabits, and grooves to set the top plate slightly below the top of the wood. I photographed the steps needed to do this over a year ago, but haven't posted them yet. I will get them on the web site in the near future.

Good point, but the cheapest is the six-pack of beer and a buddy with tools.

In life you need to have a good circle of friends. I suggest three types if you can find them:

1) A friend with tools

2) A friend with a pickup truck

3) A friend with money

If you have those then you have more than any one of the three or even all three together. :D

Good point, but the cheapest is the six-pack of beer and a buddy with tools.

In life you need to have a good circle of friends. I suggest three types if you can find them:

1) A friend with tools

3) A friend with money

If you have those then you have more than any one of the three or even all three together. :D

Good point. I live just north of you.

What tools do you have friend? ;)

I feel your pain.

I have difficulty because the mitre saws I have (one table saw same model as tubelab, one compound cross-cut) both have horrifically inaccurate scales. 45 degrees is anywhere between 43.5 and 47 degrees.

I've learnt to trial my cuts on cheap wood (usually mdf) to get the angles right, then lock them in and cut my REAL timber.

Rebating (rabbiting) for the top plate I do first - just pass the entire length of timber across a lowered blade set to the depth I want to rebate. That way I know the rebate is correct on all pieces that I cut.

Then cut the mitres, remembering that the top plate fits to the inside of each mitre corner, so that has to be your datum point. Of course, there is always the newbie slap-your-forehead thing when you cut both mitres the same way... But you tend to do that just once each job!

Then assemble and proudly show the finished item to a loved one who will nod in a slightly condescending fashion and mutter "lovely dear" through pursed lips.

1) A friend with tools

3) A friend with money

.......What tools do you have friend?

Everything. I have my own machine shop in my garage.

However, I don't have money and I don't have a pickup truck. By any chance do you have these?

Well I have some useful tools, and a pickup truck, but money is in short supply right now.

Any one going to the Orlando Hamfest?

1) A friend with tools

3) A friend with money

.......What tools do you have friend?

Everything. I have my own machine shop in my garage.

However, I don't have money and I don't have a pickup truck. By any chance do you have these?

Well I have some useful tools, and a pickup truck, but money is in short supply right now.

Any one going to the Orlando Hamfest?

When is it? Are you a Ham? I am, but have not been too radio active lately.

I was just gifted a Tenn-Tec Triton IV. The dial needs to be fixed. There is a repair kit for that from Tenn-Tec that I need to order.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
But then you have to Figure out how to rabit the wood for the top plate? All this has put the brakes on my future projects! I'm thinking about going with a "ParMetal" enclosure with a couple strips of Walnut bolted to the sides as an alternative....

Just screw (self tapping) some aluminium angle around the inside perimeter and rest/screw the top plate onto that.

Corner joints (if you can't cut them straight) can be dressed with aluminium angle.

Last edited:
I do almost all of my miters on the table saw. Makes it easy to keep side lengths the same. Don't trust the indicators on the saw however, use a draftsman triangle or similar to set 45 degrees and square. Then all you need is a miter slide, or make one out of plywood.
As far as the rabbet for the plate. Use the table saw again just make a couple of passes for the required depth.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.