Chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When is it? Are you a Ham? I am, but have not been too radio active lately.

Orlando Hamcation Home Feb 12,13,14

Yes, I have had a ham radio license for about 30 years, but since I am a radio designer by day, I don't spend too much time with them at home. I have a radio and a simple wire antenna. I turned it on last night for the first time in a few months.

Hamfests have always been a good place to find tubes and other components useful to tube amp builders. Unfortunately hamfests seem to be dying off. I went to the Miami hamfest every year for nearly 40 years, but it died. The Orlando show is the biggest one in the southeast, so I go every year. I make it to the smaller shows like Melbourne when I have time.

Dayton (Ohio) is huge, and I have been there twice. Might go again this year. Scored lots of tubes, transformers, capacitors, two power supplies and even some radio parts last time.

I do almost all of my miters on the table saw. Makes it easy to keep side lengths the same. Don't trust the indicators on the saw however, use a draftsman triangle or similar to set 45 degrees and square. Then all you need is a miter slide, or make one out of plywood.
As far as the rabbet for the plate. Use the table saw again just make a couple of passes for the required depth.

That is how I do it too. The 45 degree mark can't be trusted so I usually make two cuts on a piece of scrap wood, then check them with a square to see if the two 45's join nicely to make a 90. Some cheap table saws will vibrate loose and shift over time, to the first cut may be 45, and the next one 47.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I'm a non-wood worker and can't seem to get 45 degree angles.

That's not the only difficulty involved. After the pieces are cut and rabbited, you still have to join them properly. Splines, dowels, biscuits, whatever method you choose, each takes a certain degree of skill and is difficult to do with hand tools.

If I was in your situation regarding tools and experience, I wouldn't miter the corners. I'd cut to size, butt them together with clamps, then drill each corner from the outside for three or four through-dowels. Cut the dowels from solid stock; don't use the splined dowels intended for internal joints. You can either tap the dowels slightly below the surface and fill, or leave them proud of the surface and use a flush-cutting saw made for this purpose. This method will only allow you to rabbit two of the pieces. You can screw short strips of angle aluminum to the other two to hold the top plate.

Incidentally, I have power tools, and I still don't like to build mitered frames. This all recently became such a problem for me that I finally bought a benchtop lathe and CNC mill. Now I'm deep in the middle of completely rebuilding my 211 monoblocks on entirely new chassis. :crazy:

In life you need to have a good circle of friends. I suggest three types if you can find them:>>

My choice:
1) A doctor who loves discussing your health with you
2) A lawyer who's a total bastard and a childhood friend
3) An ex girlfriend who still loves you

But seriously, cheapest, easiest and most effective chassis which an idiot can assemble and a brave man can assemble even better is to use the front and back plate from Penn extrusions and screw a couple of 3 3/4" by 3/4" pine pieces on the sides, cut to the depth you desire (in my case 275mm). Lengths of pine that size are in any hardware store, and they can cut them up to the length you desire. Use fancy wood if you like. There's a suitable channel in the extrusion for screwing the sides on. Use four screws size 7, with those brass coloured bevelled washers - with like a countersunk look - to give a nice visual appeal. All gives you a nice 2U size chassis.

Here's the website:

Penn Elcom : MSB - Frame Extrusions

Look for the 2U extrusions - they come in various widths. I buy two 2 meter lengths and have them each cut into 5. That gives me 5 chassis in total. I use them for everything - preamps, power supplies, signal chassis etc etc.

andy

In life you need to have a good circle of friends. I suggest three types if you can find them:>>

My choice:

LOL

I love that! I think the lawyer should be at the top although a really good one will screw you anyway, childhood friend or not:D

Hmmmm. The extruded al looks interesting. You could use it as a heat sink for current sources as well.

I've got a pickup truck, some tools and not much money.:eek:

Charlotte NC HamFest is comming up in March (13, 14). I may go since I haven't been in years. It used to be in Shelbey NC, but looks like it has moved to Concord and the Flea Market is indoors now (Good in case of rain, bad because outside flea markets have so much more stuff).

KD4IMY, I'm not surprised a lot of Hams are into tubes.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
But then you have to Figure out how to rabit the wood for the top plate? All this has put the brakes on my future projects! I'm thinking about going with a "ParMetal" enclosure with a couple strips of Walnut bolted to the sides as an alternative....

I've used Hammond or Bud chassis boxes with wood strips on the side and a custom front panel made by front panel express. Looks very good actually and provides full electro-static screening for the high impedance circuitry inside.

I recommend a bottom cover as well - will contain any mischief in the event of a malfunction and could prevent setting surrounding materials on fire.

Download front panel express software from their site here: Front Panel Express - Custom Front Panels with free Front Panel Designer - Home

Hi Guys
I like to recycle old useless electronic equipment's cabinet from surpluse shop. here some pictures for samples. just replace the front panel and will become a nice looking a market made look like amp.and come up with cheap but only by chance to get.also on bonnus some usefull parts from inside too
Tony Ma

Attachments

• Picture 044.jpg
    Picture 044.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 196
  • Picture 056.jpg
    Picture 056.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 189
  • Picture 058.jpg
    Picture 058.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 188
  • Picture 063.jpg
    Picture 063.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 185
  • Picture 068.jpg
    Picture 068.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 182
I've used Hammond or Bud chassis boxes with wood strips on the side and a custom front panel made by front panel express. Looks very good actually and provides full electro-static screening for the high impedance circuitry inside.

I recommend a bottom cover as well - will contain any mischief in the event of a malfunction and could prevent setting surrounding materials on fire.

Download front panel express software from their site here: Front Panel Express - Custom Front Panels with free Front Panel Designer*-*Home

Tony Ma -

Creative stuff - I like the designs!

I think I see an EMT turntable in the background?

andy
Hi Andy
Thank you, That is not EMT TT, I show you the pictures here you will understand, that is a Technics SL110 TT doing as a belt drive TT's motor, also a very thin elastic thread as the belt got the best sound
Tony Ma

Attachments

• Picture 073.jpg
    Picture 073.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 153
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 157
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Picture 072.jpg
    Picture 072.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 144

My choice:

But seriously, cheapest, easiest and most effective chassis which an idiot can assemble and a brave man can assemble even better is to use the front and back plate from Penn extrusions and screw a couple of 3 3/4" by 3/4" pine pieces on the sides, cut to the depth you desire (in my case 275mm). Lengths of pine that size are in any hardware store, and they can cut them up to the length you desire. Use fancy wood if you like. There's a suitable channel in the extrusion for screwing the sides on. Use four screws size 7, with those brass coloured bevelled washers - with like a countersunk look - to give a nice visual appeal. All gives you a nice 2U size chassis.

Here's the website:

Penn Elcom : MSB - Frame Extrusions

Look for the 2U extrusions - they come in various widths. I buy two 2 meter lengths and have them each cut into 5. That gives me 5 chassis in total. I use them for everything - preamps, power supplies, signal chassis etc etc.

andy

Hi Andy,

Do you have some pictures of your finished Penn-chassis?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.