2N2222A transistor and transisitor history - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2010, 11:41 PM   #11
Ivey is offline Ivey  United States
diyAudio Member

Default To Answer your questions:

Barretta:

Your two questions first:

I was part of a group in a electronic division. We worked on any and everything that they sent our way. Be it aircraft equipment or mods, ship equipment or mods, road vehicles, or even high alt. gas balloon instrumentation.

The US had many submarines left over from WWII, which was upgraded to PUFFS. But they still had their old ventilation system in them. This caused a large problem with the tape machines, that were being used to record the Russian ship's prop signatures.

The subs also had snokels, that at times allowed sea water to enter into the subs. With bad ventilation, high humidity, and diesel oil, in the air. The tapes often were bought back ruin and worthless.

So, the Spooks, the intelligence people ashore, wanted to do record recordings. They required a good phono stage preamp to play back the records, for putting them on tape.

The phono stage preamp, had to be simple, clean. And above all. Easy for the average military tech at the time, to be able to repair.

We could have designed it as complex as we wanted. But not everyone is as smart or had the knowledge that we had.

Make it SIMPLE.
Second question:

In the US, we have a system called JAN. Joint Army Navy. The 2N2222A, not the 2N2222 was developed by others for military use. It was develop using the "Planar Process". If you are so sure about transistor develop in America. Then you will be aware that the silicon process of transistors was begun in 1954, by Gordon Teal of Texas Instruments.

Motorola, made only Ge transistors until Jack Haenichen came along, and was move from one transistor develop project to another, within Motorola.He improved the angular process and the "star" process to develop the 2N2222 for mass production of silicon transistors. Opening up the way to get silicon technology out to the American public. Lowering the cost of it manufacture.
He did an outstanding job, I am not taking away his honor.

Small up start companies like Texas Instrument, General Instrument, Siliconix; were making the JAN 2N2222A for military use and government agencies like the CIA, and private security government contractors.

A lot of things was happening in the world, that force America to abandon its Ge. technology long before they were able to capitalized on their investments into Ge. technology.

The Berlin Crisis
The Russians launching the first satellite.
The Russians development of a long range bomber.

So the government stepped in to push along our technology advantage forward. To stay ahead of the Russians.

Barrette and all others: I did not join this forum to have debates. I felt that with all my knowledge and experience, I could add to those who desired it, before I die.

I am not trying to step on any ones pastures, I just feel that I been here a long time and soon I may have to go. I want to leave something behind. Because everything that I am, is in my brain. And when I die, I will take it all with me. It is the only true thing that I really own. Which no one can take from me. And I have this desire to share it.

ARNLF:

Our English speaking cousins, the British, developed jet engine technology in 1936-39. In 1944 they developed the allies first operational jet fighter.

And they did not share that technology with us Americans; who had fought and die side by side with them from 1940 to 1945. Until 1944.

That delay on the part of our British cousins, open some deep wounds. Which led America to drag her feet in sharing with our British cousins, all the secret technology we took from Germany.

That delay on the British part, cause us to enter into the Korean Conflict with the mediocre P-80 Shooting Star. Where we lost some flyers to Migs. Those 10 years, caused us to delay our development of a swept wing fighter until 1950 with the F-86 Sabre.

I am not here to contend, just to be a part of the forum. Most of you have wives that you can argue with, if the need arise. I am not that person

Take Care

Ivey

Last edited by Ivey; 11th January 2010 at 11:49 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11th January 2010, 11:56 PM   #12
Molloy is offline Molloy  Europe
Account Disabled

Ivey keep sharing, don't get annoyed by ungrateful and shortsighted individuals. To call you a troll...I knew from the first line you were a person worth reading.
Old 12th January 2010, 12:01 AM   #13
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnulf View Post
Sure they did. It would have been pretty embarassing to only be able to introduce a mediocre counterpart to existing examples almost 5 years later (in 1948) than other countries developed theirs (1942-44), had your statement been true.
Or this: P-59 Airacomet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John
Old 12th January 2010, 08:28 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Despite all your waffle about the development of silicon transistors you still haven't explained how you managed to use 2N2222As before they were available. The Berlin crisis was in 1948 before there were any practical transistors at all. A British scientific delegation to the US before that country entered World War2 gave you a whole host of British scientific secrets including the cavity magnetron. The jet engine was scarcely a secret : the Germans managed to develop one without British help. This part of the forum is about valves. What you say about retubing preamps is just nonsense.
Old 12th January 2010, 08:32 AM   #15
Arnulf is offline Arnulf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Ivey, I don't dispute your other claims, it is just that aviation history is a pet peewee of mine and that I knew US has introduced a jet fighter (P-80) in 1945, which was way before 1948, although it didn't see any action in the closing days of WW2.

As for transistor/electronics history, by all means keep the tidbits coming; it's always interesting to learn more.

Last edited by Arnulf; 12th January 2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12th January 2010, 11:38 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

As to transistor/electronics history, just about everything that Ivey writes can be found on the website I previously mentioned : Semiconductor and Transistor Museum Germanium Silicon Historic Transistors Photos Photographs Oral Histories Schematics. That site also contains a reproduction of a page from the 1963 Motorola catalogue which lists the 2N2222 and the 2N2222A : so much for its separate development by small start-up companies. I also find it a bit strange that he manages to spell Haenichen correctly but gets my avatar name wrong twice, in two different ways, not to mention Arnlf.
Old 12th January 2010, 12:18 PM   #17
Arnulf is offline Arnulf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Well, I'm vision impaired, I often make typos unintentionally and I sometimes miss them when proofreading, especially in a longer text. I know people whose vision is even worse than mine (I'm down to 10%) and then others who are blind. It is not inconceivable that Ivey has some sort of problem with his vision as well, these are becoming more common with people of all age groups from children onwards and have always been present in older age groups.
Old 12th January 2010, 05:02 PM   #18
Ivey is offline Ivey  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Barretter:

I am truly sorry for misspelling your name.

I have come to realize, that you are correct. And I am..., very wrong.

Forgive my mistakes and trust passes. I offer to you a hand towards friendship.

This has gone on long enough.

I was grossly mistaken.

I bow to your superior knowledge and skill

Take Care

Ivey
Old 12th January 2010, 05:47 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default 2n2222

The 2N2222 is indeed a great transistor, as are its relatives, the 2N2219 and the PNP family (2N2905-2907).

According to the EIA registration files (available on the TCA Data Cache disk - see TCA Notices & Announcements for more information), the 2N2222 was first registered with the EIA on March 5, 1962, EIA release No. 3620, sponsored by Motorola. The 2N2222A was registered on Feb. 17, 1964, EIA release No. 4606, also by Motorola. Motorola may well have produced some 2N2222 transistors before the EIA registration date, but not likely before 1961.

- John Atwood
Old 12th January 2010, 06:07 PM   #20
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Wouldn't a bypass cap be benificial across the Zener, in the 2N2222A shchematic?

Hide this!Advertise here!