2N2222A transistor and transisitor history

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
John, I apologize for being condesending.

I never read anything in the P61's war records published in 1947, about it never shooting down a German plane.

There were no P61's planes that were Ace's in Europe. Unless you are counting V-1 buzz bombs. And even, they had to vector thousands of feet above the V-1 and dive down to attack it from the rear.

Remember, I said plane, not pilots. Because there was the pilot, radar operator, and gunner/bomber.

In the Pacific, China-Burma-India, and South West Pacific, there were Ace planes, with as many as six kills. But in Europe, they did not know how to record the downing of a V-1.

When the P61 arrived in Belgium, there was very few German planes to shoot down. By the fourth month of 1944, Germany was keeping all of their fighters and attack planes in and around Berlin, for bomber defense and attacking the Eastern Front.

We heard about the P61 in 1941, we waited years to see that plane. And when it did appear, Ike had already landed in France. So when its picture showed up in Life and other mags. We first thought that it was another bomber that resembled the P38.

You have to remember, when V-E Day arrived, we all thought the wars was over. We believed that if Germany surrendered, so did Japan. After all, Germany was the leader of the Axis powers we were told. You could not believe our hatered and anger at the government when they informed us that Japan was not part of the surrender.

We (my family) saw no need for new weapons and such by the middle of 1945. My parents had seven thousand dollars tired up in War Bonds, and they wanted to cash them in.

Yes, the radar on the P61 was bad. Ground Control in Europe was not as good as Ground Control in England. The antenna network was blocked by hills and valleys. It was not like it was at Dover and other eastern coastal areas of England.

P61 was used for a lot of ground attack missions in Western Europe. The short wave electronic systems in that aircraft, could not even be used during the early days of the Battle of the Bulge.

I have contacted Northrop, and have ask them to send me a copy of the test that they done on the HO-229, that proved that its signature was to small for it to be notice by 1940's era radar.

Take Care

Ivey.

Ok John thanks

I will check that out. There are three or four remaining P61's, none at this time is flying. I believe that three or two of them are props. With one being restored.

I lived in the Philippines at Clark Field, from 1974-1977. We discovered a P40 hanging between three trees. It was in great condition. The over growth keep it in good condition. But getting it out of the mountains was the problem. When we went back to get it with the heavy lift helo, the people in the area had returned to the site, and removed the top mounted .30cal machine guns. They destroyed the cowling.

The Air Force crated it in and sent it back, it was B model.

I seen some really good condition WWII crashed aircraft, from 1969-1991, in various areas in the South Pacific.

Iron Bottom Sound: F4F, Zeros, Kates, Avengers
Funafuta Island: F4F, F6F, PBF's
Tufa: P38, P39
Rabul: Betty's, Zekes, F6F, SB2's, B25's
Makin: F4F, Kate (float plane)

Most are grown over, others are in water. The ones in the best conditionof planes I saw, are in New Guinea. Most are P40's belonging to the Aussies.

When we had Air Bases in North Africa in the 1950's, I went there to service Global Master Transports. There seem to be hundreds of damage aircraft from the war sitting in heaps. No one wanted them. German planes, British and American, and some Italians.

Now, everyone wants them

Take Care

Ivey

Last edited:
John look this over

Engineers of the Northrop-Grumman Corporation had long been interested in the Ho 229, and several of them visited the Smithsonian Museum's facility in Silver Hill, Maryland in the early 1980s to study the V3 airframe. In early 2008, Northrop-Grumman paired up television documentary producer Michael Jorgensen, another long-time fan of the aircraft, and the National Geographic Channel to produce a documentary to determine whether the Ho 229 was, in fact, the world's first true "stealth" fighter-bomber.[2]
A team of engineers from Northrop-Grumman ran electromagnetic tests on the V3's multilayer wooden center-section nose cones. The cones are three-fourths of an inch (19mm) thick and made up of thin sheets of veneer. The team concluded that there was indeed some form of conducting element in the glue, as the radar signal slowed down considerably as it passed through the cone.[2]
In an experiment to determine the stealth characteristics of the design, Northrop-Grumman built a full-size reproduction of the V3, incorporating a replica glue mixture in the nose section. After an expenditure of about US$250,000 and 2,500 man-hours, Northrop's Ho 229 reproduction was tested at the company's classified radar cross-section (RCS) test range at Tejon, California, where it was placed on a 15-meter (50 ft) articulating pole and exposed to electromagnetic energy sources from various angles, using the same three frequencies used by the Chain Home radar network of the British in the early 1940s. RCS testing showed that an Ho 229 approaching the English coast from France flying at 885 km/h (550 mph) at 15 - 30 metres (50 - 100 ft) above the water would have been visible at a distance of 80% that of a Bf 109. This implies an RCS of only 40% that of a Bf 109, from the front at the Chain Home frequencies. The most visible parts of the plane were the jet inlets and the cockpit, but caused no return through smaller dimensions than the CH wavelength.[2]
With testing complete, the reproduction was donated by Northrop-Grumman to the San Diego Air and Space Museum

Attachments

• New-HO229.jpg
    New-HO229.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 350
Yes, I've read that. Note that the Chain Home radar operated on a 12 meter wavelength while the P-61's radar unit was 10 cm. There was a well documented incident where a P-61 R/O picked up an Me-163 flying high overhead. It of course had a tactical advantage and the P-61 pilot had to use violent evasive maneuvers to avoid being shot down. Now, the Me-163 is another tailless fighter that was approximately one-third the size of an Ho-229 but it was easily spotted by the R/O as it flew at over 500 mph several thousand feet overhead.

John

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Great discussion, gentlemen!

But back to something more on topic! :)

Ivey, you started this discussion in the tube forum, so I know that you have listened to both tube equipment and ss designs using this transistor.

Can you tell me your impressions and the consensus of others who first listened to the 2n2222a? Did they prefer the move to ss or did you have some folks that wanted to stick with tubes? You mention that you guys would throw some music records to listen to your phono stage, so this had me curious on the general impressions of those who listened to your 2n222a circuit.

Sonidos

When we first heard the preamp, it was through some very bad military speakers. But later, one of the spooks brought in some good GE speakers. And the preamp sounded real real good.

But there is one thing that I notice. In 1972 and 1991, I build the phono preamp. When I started out, I used plastic PN2N2222A, and the preamp did not sound so good.

Next I used 2N2222A, JAN military grade. It sounded a great deal better. But no where near the way it sounded in the 60's. This got me to thinking. So, I switched to 2N4401's, and the pre amp sounded outstanding. Close to the 60's model, yet still away's a way.

In 1990, we were switching out electronic equipment from a naval ship in Washington. I notice that the boards were stamped 1964; so I knew that the transistors were some of the first JAN2N2222A. I took the boards and build a preamp with them. The sound returned.

I talked to many people from various semiconductor makers. And they all told me that the transistors in the 1960's were more or less "hand made".
Because the machine operators in those days were very skilled at what they did. Today, they informed me, it is all done by computer control robotics and they use the bare minimum of materials to produce the transistors. Even for the military grade units.

Tubes were great back in the 1950's to 1980's. But today's tubes are no good. And there are reasons that I say this.

1. If you are able to obtain a 1950's 1970's tube, made in the US or the UK. Measure the bulb thickness. Then measure the thickness of today's tubes, and you will discover that it is thinner, allowing the makers to use less glass, and less powder; in obtaining the needed vacuum.

What that means is that the vacuum is barely being obtained. They just reach the threshold of the required vacuum. Where by the vacuum can and will be lost as the tube is burned.

Remember that there is vacuum and then there is "perfect vacuum". In order to keep the tube from becoming a gas tube, you shoot for a "perfect vacuum".

Do not let people fool you, into thinking that I am pulling your leg. Because vacuums vary, in that if I want to kill you, I only need to remove the require amount of air; that is required to do so. It does not required a "perfect vacuum" to bring about death. So vacuums used in tubes today is no where the near the threshold for a "near or perfect vacuum".

2. In the days of good tube production, they used pure metals. Today they used alloys of those pure metals. To save on cost. You get ringing, grid failures, heater failures, and plate bending.

3. So when you buy a tube today. It is not well made. Then they add gold to the pins and charge you a small fortune for a badly made tube.

A lot of the guys that I know, are disappointed in the electronics industry. We have seen the prices go up and the quality go down. On everything from tubes, transistors, IC's, and the list goes on.

So it is hard to really pin point which is better than the other. Because when a person talks to me about tubes, it hurts me ears. Because I remember what a well made tube really use to sound like.

Take Care

Ivey

I don't know why this is so important, but the 2N2222 came from the 2N2219 family, and these were often used as core drivers for computer memory. The high peak current was important for that. The 2222 just had the T0-18 package rather than the T-05 package that housed the 2219. Early '60's was it. Just look at the numbering. Perhaps the 2N697, an earlier device was mistaken for a 2219. Similar devices.

I, unfortunately, don't know anything specific about the negative resistance, BUT I MIGHT be able to reproduce it with original 2n2222's and a curve tracer. Interesting, and I have used devices like (similar to) this for very fast avalanche switching, again developed by research departments, so this makes sense.

So, whats with strange negative resistance oscillator abuses for miswired 2N2222?
Sometimes as Collector > Emitter reverse biased, and base connected to nothing...
Which ones made with the "correct" internals for doing so, and which one's are not?

This "property" was exhibited by many transistors not just the 2N2222.

I remember several circuits in 'Wireless World' and 'Practical Electronics' (UK versions) in the late '60s and early '70s.

As you said, the collector and emitter were reversed with the base open circuit. The other components were a capacitor across the device and a resistor to the rail. It formed a relaxation oscillator.

Not much use though as the device properties in this mode were unprdictable and varied from device to device. So only really useful as a simple tone generator / buzzer.

Found this :-

http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/oscillators_timers/001/index.html

or this :-

At the bottom ....

http://members.shaw.ca/roma/twenty-three.html

Andy

Last edited:
Hello John Curl:

The 455khz osc., was first done by the former Doug DeMaw (W1FB), back in the 1970's and 1980's. Prior to his passing. It can be found in one of the many QST mag features he did. And you are correct, it was with a 2N2222A at first. But he discovered that it was easier to drive a 2N4400/1.

You can check with Doug's long time friend Wes Hayward, he lives in Seattle, Washington.

Do you or anyone that you might know remember the a company name Apex. It was involve in magnetic research and produce a great line of tape recorders and magnetic recording devices.

Well, they help to bring about the development of the 2N2219 transistor. They along with U of Chicago and U of Penn, started the development into magnetic memory core units. They used the 2N2222A, but the current and heat was a limiting factor. They even used the 2N697, a great transistor, but too slow on the switching and current pulse.

Apex and others needed the switching speed of the 2N2222A in a larger package. So, after 2,219 mods, the 2N2219 TO-5, was born. To be used as a core memory driver. Apex's research was leased to Big Blue (IBM) who went on to develop the art. It was very important to the Minute Man Missile development in 1961 and 1962.

If you remember, the Minute Man Missile System, went operational weeks after the Cuban Missile Crisis ended, around early 1963.

Also remember that 2N2219 is a JAN/JEDEC development transistor. Design for interchageabilities.

Now, JEDEC and Pro-Electron, are seldom used by semiconductor makers today, Most are using "in house numbering" systems.

Take Care

Ivey

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thank you

Ivey and Mr. Curl,

Many thanks for sharing your experiences with us. This is a nice history lesson.

Ivey, I know what you mean. I started collecting a few tubes last year and the prices that NOS fetch on ebay is just crazy. And of course, certain old tubes are getting rarer and rarer. I happened to get a few Tung Sol 12B4s for a decent price.

When I entered college and took some EE courses, the push was to teach us how to squeeze more out of the dollar and those lessons were put into practice. Sadly, quality is becoming an art practiced by few.

I am our chief tester for one of our software products, so quality is always on my mind. The execs cringe at the cost of testing, but you should have seen the quantity of bugs in our product before we started extensive testing!

Oh, and on my desk, I have a model of the P40 Flying Tiger.:up:

This "property" was exhibited by many transistors not just the 2N2222.

I remember several circuits in 'Wireless World' and 'Practical Electronics' (UK versions) in the late '60s and early '70s.

As you said, the collector and emitter were reversed with the base open circuit. The other components were a capacitor across the device and a resistor to the rail. It formed a relaxation oscillator.

Not much use though as the device properties in this mode were unprdictable and varied from device to device. So only really useful as a simple tone generator / buzzer.

Found this :-

Reverse Bias Oscillator

or this :-

At the bottom ....

Handy dandy little circuit #23

Andy

My semi physics is long forgotten, but I do remember this on a curve tracer with many early NPN planar devices, including 2N2222As

Slowly increase Vce and it will break at VCEs and snap back to VCEo with a fuzzy negative resistance inbetween on the display.

Sonidos

Sonidos and Russo:

Many people today run around throwing out figures, trying to impress others, for reasons unknown. But the true test is in practice and doing the job.

The government discovered in the 1970's's, that putting facts in front of the people, solved a lot of their problems. But they also discovered one terrible fact as well. They discovered that they were able do so because the public no longer got its information from newspapers and magazines.

Television, is ruining our lives. No one is getting hard cold facts anymore, just the flash in the pants reporting styles of "Hollywood Tonight". Information that does nothing for you.

Your mind remembers and retains more when you read, because of the pipeline that is developed through the network of nerves that the brain uses to convey that information to its proper places, where it is retained on the nets that line ones brains nerves inputs..

For sight, is not a permanent record. That is why people can not remember things correctly, that they saw months before.

Your eyes will catch a rapid movement. But very slow movements go unobserved. Because for the eyes to notice or id slow movement. The entire network must focus (concentrate) on the issue at hand.

When one reads, they are focus and concentrating on the subject. So retention is improved.

We are facing a world crisis. We (Americans) made one of the biggest mistakes in 150 years. We were warned twice that this would happen if we did it again.

Allowing bankers and finance people to play shell games with the nations housing market. The first time it happen was 1841-43, the second time was 1866-75. Each time, it took a war to get us out of it. Ours, or someone else's war.

Guys argue with me about things that they know little of. The 2N2222A. Is a two pn Junction, N= semiconductor, 2222=the numbers of mods to get to the finish product, and A=the improvement to that mod.

Today, we use all kinds of numbering systems. It is sad that we have left our roots in engineering, record keeping, and standardization. And have gone on to areas that leave us lost, believing that the next guy is going to take up the slack.

Thank God for "Old School".

Take Care

Ivey

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Ivey,

Thanks on that last bit, too! This stuff is gold. Many of us are glad you continue to share your knowledge, along with John Curl, Nelson Pass, and a host of numerous others.

I'll send you a PM so as not to drag this thread off topic, but your other comments are quite interesting as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.