Breaking in Teflon Caps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Curly, for saying what I am not allowed to say on this website.
For whatever reason, we have found that many of the 'better' caps have to be 'broken-in' for best sonic performance. This was first brought out by Blackgate, 30 years ago, in an app note. The engineer who designed the Blackgate cap found it to be necessary. In fact, some of these exotic caps sound 'awful' until they ARE broken in. Why is that? Should they not be 'perfect' just because they cost so much and have a 'story' attached to them? If the hear no difference types were correct, then all caps of the same type should sound all about the same. Why would we add 'break-in' to the mixture? Just the color and cost of the cap, and perhaps brand-name should be more than enough to 'delude' us that we have made an improvement.

Thanks Curly, for saying what I am not allowed to say on this website.
For whatever reason, we have found that many of the 'better' caps have to be 'broken-in' for best sonic performance. This was first brought out by Blackgate, 30 years ago, in an app note. The engineer who designed the Blackgate cap found it to be necessary. In fact, some of these exotic caps sound 'awful' until they ARE broken in. Why is that? Should they not be 'perfect' just because they cost so much and have a 'story' attached to them? If the hear no difference types were correct, then all caps of the same type should sound all about the same. Why would we add 'break-in' to the mixture? Just the color and cost of the cap, and perhaps brand-name should be more than enough to 'delude' us that we have made an improvement.

John why would you not be able to defend your position. If you do not stand for something, something will stand on you :)

Could we confine the discussion to the actual topic instead of on one another?

But what for? 13 pages already and no progress whatsoever, except constant preconceptions.

Discussion like that looses even entertainment values after first few pages. It would be much better if you closed this thread and possibly refrain from participating in another one of similar nature.

Last edited:
Gentlemen, what in the world does this personal sniping have to do with break in of Teflon capacitors? Could we confine the discussion to the actual topic instead of on one another?

Sure, you won't catch me posting in this thread any further.

I've had about all the nonsense I can take for this month (and a few of the following months as well).

Have fun, and don't forget to pad yourself on the back, you've earned it.

Magura :)

Status
Not open for further replies.