Why is a pro woofer bad for home use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can I clarify, when we talk of Pro-Audio, are we referring only to PA (sorry, public address) or studio monitors aswell?

Because the first mind blowing pair of speakers I heard were the in-wall main studio monitors back at RG Jones recordings studios in wimbledon (now sadly closed), Which I would have described as 'Pro Audio'.

When I worked in a live music venue, we (myself and my sound engineers) would use the main PA system to listen to newly purchased, newly recorded, and favourite music. It was amazing, and although not true high-fidelity, I'm sure if we tweaked the system to a 'home use' type set-up, it would have easily achieved it.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Doesn't have to be that long, just 2 1/2 way design suffer from phase problems due to the two woofers having different low passes and because of that not summing properly and generating lobes in the vertical plane.
Specially if you use high efficient drivers like you suggested which require higher order x-overs.

I had to scroll back to see what the fuss is all about.
Found nothing to complain about.
I had expected the typical ALL CAPS FULL OF BRAGGING OR BAD KARMA post we find now and then, which are all but unreadable and cause headaches, but it was not such.
In fact, I found it quite well mannered and to the point.
Caps are one accepted form of EMPHASIS, same as writing between *asterisks* or >like this< or _this_ other way.
In fact, they precede Internet by a long way (as in a couple thousand Years) .
Not forgetting that re-EMailing text (such as Forum EMail notifications) *often* strips text of "font attributes" and meaning sometimes gets lost.
They do the same on "smilies" :)

By the way, Veronica wrote this one year ago, don't think she's exactly monitoring this thread by now ;)

LOL No, sure wasnt....just now catching up 2 months later!
(I couldn't hear the notification over the music here)....... :p

Veronica, interesting post, but do you think you could tone down the SHOUTING? or you are trying to be heard over the pro woofers? ;) try bolding, or underlining its less in yer face :)

See now when you read ONE word in caps that is emphasis. When it is a whole sentence, that is shouting.
How can you read a single word in caps in a whole sentence as a shout?

Probably bold or underline is better. Okay, duly noted. (However this is really focusing on the minutae instead of the message).

last time i've heard a 6.5" (M17WH-09 without any component + a dome tweeter) with a 10" (M25WO-49, second order xo with 4.7mH+47µF), and I did not like it. okay, they were hifi speakers.

A 6.5" 'without any component' will breakup and start to radiate very narrow above lets say 2k. So of course you will not like it. Why should you do that?
Who knows how the response of that system was. Who kows how summation was.
I suggest not to do such experiments because it is a waste of wood and time.
There' a theory behind our hobby. There is a history. There was people who
Researched and described the phisical behavior of speakers and propagation of soundwaves.
It is all written and when you deviate from the basics, you will build expensive
toy that will not at all sound as good as the components of it could when used
right. It is just a waste of time and money to put speakers in a box and try to
hook'm up maybe swap the red and black wire and then listen whats happening.
Our hearing and the ear to brain system is too adaptive to elaborate a crossover
by listening to music and change values randomly and see if you like it more that way, as long as you keep violating the simplest roules like operating a driver outside of its specs.
Be careful to listen to people who want to tell you to not use equalizers because of phase distortions. To not use crossovers because of similar problems.
Those people mostly just improvise and try to sell there limited knowlege.

Pro woofers are usually very sensitive compared to non pro.

They do not need extra power to make them audible.
I would contend they need less power to make them equally audible to most non pro drivers.

This is so very dependent on so very many factors that you could draw any conclusion you like, and it'd be easy to find a driver/cabinet/frequency combination that suggests the opposite.

I'm not sure I'd bother starting: that way lieth madness.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.