Why is a pro woofer bad for home use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why is it being assumed that a "pro woofer" is a PA speaker? Just because we're in the live sound, PA section?

After all, I work in a studio. Are my studio monitors not professional? One thing is obvious, a large percentage of their ancestry comes from cinema speakers – but so does a lot of PA technology. And, for that matter, most of HiFi and computer speaker systems, although quality might not be maintained across the range.

If drivers are well matched, what matter if they were originally designed for one function or another? And multiamping can match speakers that would have been exceedingly problematic in my youth.

Perhaps one could generalise that touring PA subwoofers tend to have stiffer suspensions than drivers intended for fixed listening (be that installation PA or home systems), so the voice coils show less of a tendency to bang against the magnet during transport, which means that for a given cone area they tend not to go so far into the bass, and certainly they are usually higher efficiency, so the amplifier doesn't have to work so hard (and thus frequently sounds better, although hum and noise are increased) but this isn't a reason to reject them out of hand.

A good studio monitor system, a good PA system, can give high quality sound, and reproduce a more realistic dynamic range (assuming you have tolerant, distant or deaf neighbours) than anything but an economically unthinkable HiFi set up.

Ok, it might seem silly that your low end can deliver 124 undistorted dBs, while your mids and highs struggle to give 98, but 5.1 in cinemas demonstrates that reserve low frequency power can enhance the listening experience considerably.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
old story
since we don't know the difference it won't matter either

but you are not going to say in-wall speaker are also pro speakers, are you ?
but I guess they actually are, stricktly speaking :scratch2:

hey, just joking ;) :)

but what is PA, bass guitar, or studio woofers...its not so simple any more
I suppose more a matter of where you use them, and the way you design

Ok, it might seem silly that your low end can deliver 124 undistorted dBs, while your mids and highs struggle to give 98, but 5.1 in cinemas demonstrates that reserve low frequency power can enhance the listening experience considerably.

Fletcher Munson.

This thread has the wrong title, it should be PA drivers not Pro drivers. Pro drivers include Genelec (and other pro studio monitors) that you would never see in a PA.

@chrispenycate
This is exactly whatI wanted to say.
There seems to be the general opinion that a P.A. speaker is loud and a home speaker is not but sounds good.
First of all a decent P.A. speaker is out of the price range where people play around at home. So when someone here tryed out a P.A. speaker and did not like it, it would possibly not have been a expensive chassis from 18 Sound, B&C or maybe PHL. but something like this Dayton mentioned by the threadstarter or some cheap speakers from Emminence. Those drivers are cost optimized and can take some abuse because they are designed with a stiff suspension and a underhang voice coil to not excurse to much.
There is no inductance control ring nor sophisticated cone design. Also those speakers are not manufactured to low tolerance because that would rise production cost. But that's where good sound comes from at the end.
So a top range Scan Speak or Vifa or Morell 8" chassis will outperform the
cheap 12" driver even if it says "pro" on the box it came out.
But take a top line 18Sound or BMS 6" with long excursion and high BxL and the story looks totally different.
It is a fact that there are good sounding speakers on the market and you can divide them anymore between pro and home. There are also good designed ceiling speakers:)

Speakers, though very important, are just part of the problem of sound reproduction

Only part, yes, but speakers (or more accurately the speaker/room acoustic interface) are the most subjective and difficult to get right. The electronics, especially the digital bits, are child's play in comparison. Of course, I get microphones as a complication, too, but that's not generalised.

And they make decent ceiling speakers? Really? I wonder why anyone would do that (although technically my screen speakers in the studio could be considered "wall mounted" as they're flush to the surface in cut outs) for the general uses that style of amplification? They must invariably put them in places with lousy room acoustics…;)

And they make decent ceiling speakers? Really? I wonder why anyone would do that (although technically my screen speakers in the studio could be considered "wall mounted" as they're flush to the surface in cut outs) for the general uses that style of amplification? They must invariably put them in places with lousy room acoustics…;)
:) it is not for your home, but if you have to install a system in a big store or warehouse in a shopping centre, you must have a flat response (or shaped to what you need) and high spl. If you open up a let's say BOSE ceiling speaker (not a fan of this brand but respecting) you will see that there is quite some technology inside like proper tuned enclosures and x-overs and things. Those things can take some power, you can be shure. Or there's a brand called Apart which produces really good tools for installations like amps, linemixers and speakers. Not in the scene, not shiny advertising but those products just work and sound very open and clean. They would go as HiEnd anytime in a blind test:) Here again proper P.A. stuff can do as good as home stuff but will maybe work longer.

Actally all this crazyness was done to test new ideas and technologys. And of course to sell the brand that wins the race. My formula one are my speakersystems with expensive neo drives and sophisticated highrange units whith the lowest distortion possible at highest output with optimized x-overs. They go loud (just because I have to send music and speach to large crowds) and reproduce on high fidelity because my customer pays to get the best possible sound. And they last long because the speakers are driven in theyr safe area. A close contact to our manufacturers of chassis (which sit in Italia) helps us because they know what we are doing with tehy'r speakers.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.