How volatile is our epoch?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That era only had one Mozart and one Beethoven too, I don't see why this one should be different. I think Shostakovich fills the role nicely. ;) Plenty of terrific Twentieth Century classical music is out there. For me, and from an admittedly raised-on-punk perspective, the killers are the multi-mic pop-productions of most classical recordings and the stiff, acedemic, unionized performances. Given the choice between a year listening to von Karajan directing the BSO on Deutsch Screechaphone and re-enacting the bamboo hut scene from 'The Deer Hunter', I'd ask for a day to consider.

I quite unwittingly bought a Karajan rendition of Beethoven. He can leave the cap off HIS 2 liter of Coke... it won't be mine again.

I have a Bernstein version of Rhapsody in Blue... they clipped the damn CD... Leonard even clinked a key or two on the piano, but, the music had life!

:)

Netlist said:
Isn't Karajan (good or bad) out of categorie in this thread?

<musicians, songwriters, composers and/or producers>

/Hugo

Tangential. Conductors are part of performance, a pontential reason classical music has fallen from favour and related to the original question "where are our great composers". vK being a good example or not isn't really relevant, though it's interesting to note that in the '40s and '50s some conductors were the popular celebrities of the day, famous enough to cameo in kid's cartoon (think Bugs; 'Leopold! Leopold!')

Does it make a lot of sense to speculate which composer will be played several hundred years hence, and make this a criterion for quality assessment of present crops?

I enjoy zappa, rokia, hendrix, haynes, manx, allmann bros., ali farka, railroad earth, mitchell, purcell, brecker bros. oumou sangare, monk, coltrane, tchaikowsky, miles, shostakovitch, some mahler, clapton, king's -bb, freddie, albert etc. - belfour, north m a stars, mangelsdorff, dauner, broetzmann, cream, family, alpha yaya, part, satie, bach, (no mozart, please) beethoven, handel, brahms, ives, vivaldi, r.l. burnside, sibelius, honegger, milhaud, tangerine dream(some of it), cash (johnny, that is), james blood....and just don't give a damn how the future music listener - should he even exist, which is highly doubtful considering our propensity to eliminate ourselves efficiently - will evaluate what I like to listen to. I like it now - and if the coming blokes don't give a hoot - so what!

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Second Poobah.
What I meant was that the original composers (Like Beethoven) are long gone and we'd rather focus on the post recording era.
I'm not into classical music that much so indeed, it is very likely that e.g. Karajan has conducted recent work.

/Hugo

Classical or not

Netlist said:
audio-kraut,
Sure we can't guess the future but it's just fun, like everything in here. :)

There's a gorgeous smell coming out of the kitchen...

/Hugo

Problem I have is listening often enough w/o family members present and extraneous noise, since it really doen't work unless the music's at concert levels...:cool:

... this in spite of an understanding wife, 16 y/o daughter who plays exceptional classical and jazz music (wins lots of awards).. etc. :violin:

ah, well... back to smoking a turkey and drinking home-brew :drink:

John L.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.