Need new artists to listen to - Inputs needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Those who know me, knows that I'm a big fan of guitar rock, and a big concert fan ;)

My favorites are Thin Lizzy (John Sykes), Guns and Roses, Velvet Underground, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Ritchie Blackmore, Angelo Batio etc.

Can someone guide me to find artists playing similar kind of music, and perhaps link me to free listening samples ??
I need to "pimp up" my collection ;)

Besides that I'm a big fan of so different styles like Genisis, Saga, Mike Oldfield and many other artist not known outside Denmark :D

Suggestions please.....

CD Baby!

Cd Baby is a great place to find non-commercial music that is marketed and funded by the artists themselves. The rock stuff is broken up into 15 or so sub-catagories- Instrumental, Metal, Math, etc. They have great prices and excellent MP3 downloading of the WHOLE song and in some cases, most of the album. Not sure about the shipping though. Im only 100 miles from their warehouse so its not a concern for me.
I can spend hours checking out the music.

http://www.cdbaby.com/

Happy hunting!

amt

Hi, ACD.
Some of my current guitar heroes are Richard Thompson and Bill Nelson.
They´re not so hard rock oriented as the likes that you´ve mentioned ; R. Thompson is more rock-folk oriented, sporting witty lyrics and an exceptional musicianship; Bill Nelson is moving through some more experimental fringe this days, but his work is full of memorable guitar playin´.
And how about some Bad Co.?

If you´re into prog, -and if you don´t know them yet- I think that you`ll like some old Premiata Forneria Marconi, ca. 1971/1975. It´s beautiful music, seasoned with ¨those¨ vintage synths -Moog, Mellotron-, nice guitars and some mediterranean feel that`s very compelling.
And if you are adventurous, and in the mood for a more mellow flavor -geez, this sounds like a cigarrettes ad :)- I can´t reccomend you a better prog album than ¨L´Heptade¨, by a seventies Canadian outfit called Harmonium.
Imagine some early Genesis mixed with folkish air and french chansonnier delicacy... it´s a gem.

Now that you´ve mentioned Thin Lizzy, I´d give an arm -and some leg too- to get back the double vinyl ¨Live and Dangerous¨:skull: that some mofo stole from my vaults...
What a band!
As a funny note, I remember some episode of ¨The Benny Hill Show¨ in which him an some other mates -all of them of venerable age and totally out of shape- performed a sketch full of black leather, chains, blonde women, motorcycles and nonsense called ¨The Boys are Back in Town¨. The soundtrack was a cheese cover of the eponimous anthem, go figure... very funny.

Regards

I was thinking...

Just yesterday I bought some Cheap Trick album called ¨All Shook Up¨, circa 1980. I had that LP in the past, but I forgot how powerful it was...

Imagine some late sixties Beatles meet LedZep... incredible hooks, good -though not stellar- guitar playing, very good singing...
I overlooked that album since +/- 1985; my old one was missing -surely loaned to a friend, or something alike-; so it was really a revelation to hear it again.
The album is nicely produced -George Martin, Montserrat Air Studios, top analogue technology of those years-, and is very uplifting.
Cheap Trick fans -maybe purists- tend to dismiss this lp; but I reccomend it very much.

Regards

Try the Mars Volta, an alternative / progressive rock group who are quite experimental. Sort of like Pink Floyd on steroids, with a dash of Radiohead. Excellent vocals and guitar work.

Their best album is "Deloused in the Comatorium" (2003), later albums are a bit too experimental for me. You will need to listen to the album a couple of times to get into it but the music is quite refreshing & different.

Another good way to find new artists for a genre which you like is to try www.pandora.com - an interesting concept where they have detailed categorisation of a huge database of songs so does an excellent job in playing "like" music. Type in your favourite artist or song and it generate a playlist of like songs with obscure artists, and will adjust the playlist as you tell it what songs on the playlist you like or dont. You can follow up on the songs/artists you like, and it makes for great background listening by the computer.

Regards,
Dean

However it can be difficult to get most of smaller artists CD's in Denmark.... I once waited 8 (eight) month to receive John Sykes Nuclear Cowboy CD

I know how it is, cause here in Argentina is similar...
Sometimes is just a matter of luck, you know, ending up finding interesting music in the garage sales or in the salvation army, but finding nothing in the ¨official¨ records shops...

Regards, and good luck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.