Modern cd's - over compression

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This isn't a solution to the compression and distortion by any means, but I have found a solution to the loudness problem, as obviously the recording level varies from album to album.

In Linux (also available for Windows), I use a player called Aqualung, which will calculate the relative volume of each track you add to your library, and adjust the volume accordingly to each track so that every song you play plays at the same relative level. I have found it very effective. It can also add compression based on your listening environment. Setting range from Audiophile (no compression added) to Noisy Workshop (heavy compression).

I am so thankfull for this thread...

6 weeks ago I bought a Technics SL1210mkII Turntable on ebay, went to fleemarket, bought vinylrecordings for 2,5€ each, just for fun, always wanted one of those 1210.

Since 1o years my Amp is a cheap Yamaha ax580, cheap 2 way Heco-Speakers for 70 DM/pair on 1mm² 6 meters cable. Maranz 150€ CD. But i harldy used them.

I startet playing Violine at age 9. I allways was "possesed" by speakers, i love music. As a tweener I used to listen on Highend-Equipment, my car was stuffed with Dynaudio's....

...Today i am 42, married, 2 little kids.

Now, After 10 Years avoiding to listen to my CD's, its true, i started again to listen to music, but to vinyl! There is life in this music. And i give praise to god i kept my old vinylrecordings, listening to them today is a blessing. On fleemarkets I bought Cat Stevens, Sting, all Alan Parsons i could get my hands on , I bought the Enya Waterfall(I own the CD, know it insideout, is no match to the vinyl) etc, etc... I mean if you ever listenend to Spliff's 85555 ....on vinyl....that rocks my soul baby ! :)

To summ it up:
The CD's sound technically superior but they are emotionally dead. They are tiredsome and they are nerfing. Vinyl, there is life in them, ...might be these wornout recordings with all these noises- but who cares? Comparing, for instance, Direstraits "Love over Gold", CD vs Vinly, it becomes very obvious.

The reasons might be manyfold, sure there are enough threads existing on this issue. One reason might be:
http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/dynamicrange.htm
"Much of the music being produced today isn't music at all. It's best described as anti-music. It's anti-music because the life is being squashed out of it through over compression during the tracking, mixing, and mastering stages. It's simply, non musical..."

And btw, the 1210mkII came with a cheap Stanton 500mkII pickup with 3 used diamonds, the Tonearm-cable was broken and soldered by an "electrician" :dead: -this is how i bought this Turntable. Next i will go order a "custom vinyl" from Alan Parsons "Timemachine", cus its only avaiable on CD. :D
Ah not to forget , our friends prefer to listen vinyl while they are at our place :angel:

Netlist said:

If a generalization could describe the difference, I always found this one to be real close.

You'll be surprised what a better cartridge will do to your ears. :)

/Hugo

Locking at my budget, will a Denon DL103R Catridge will serve me well? I already ordered VanDenHul Tonarm-insideCables to take care of the old mess.

Anyway , this thread is about CD's, and what makes them sound bad.

The other day I hooked up my old turntable (cost < $200 with cartridge in the early 80s when CDs were catching on and price on consumer level TTs were dropping like a rock).

I listened to a moderately scratchy Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here", one of the first albums I bought as a young teen just getting into buying my own albums. Listened to both sides with my six year old son most of the time sitting on my lap listening with me.

This was on my really really really cheap cheap cheap cheap living room system-- http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/3751.html

I really enjoyed it.

I have several LPs which I also have on CD. There is just something nice about watching an LP spin around as you listen.

But to stay on topic: Most of these sound pretty much identical when comparing one to the other. But then, non of them are "remastered".

Also, I have no Heavy Metal LPs or CDs. I think most of the "over compression" techniques are genre related. I don't see it a problem with jazz or country.

David you wrote: "Also, I have no Heavy Metal LPs or CDs. I think most of the "over compression" techniques are genre related. I don't see it a problem with jazz or country."

Here is a review of Wailin Jennys "Firecracker" taken from Amazon UK:

Ê
"This is the loudest CD in my entire collection - louder even than Dance & Techno CDs intended for use in clubs! Much too loud in fact - the CD has been massively compressed - presumably as part of the mastering process - giving it an airless, in-your-face sound with no space at all for the excellent music to breathe, dynamic range has been totally squashed, a sound completely unsuited to this type of music.
I love 40 days, with its really relaxed, engaging sound, great playing and songs, but this CD is unlistenable for me.
Very disappointed..."

Cilla

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.