Modern cd's - over compression

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
When normalizing to a level very close to 0dB, we get the following waveform.
Used dynamic range: 6.6dB.

/Hugo

Attachments

• limit2.jpg
    limit2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 335
Andrew, Joe, yes and yes. They have used a limiter. It sounds great. There's no real loss of dynamics. It's only the bass drum, which is so much louder than everything else. This is the first time I see how the recording looks like.

Compression is a fact of life. I don't think anyone wants to throw the limiters out of the studios. Vinyl is dishonest in this regard. If this had been vinyl you might not have noticed the compression thanks to or due to second order harmonics, resonance, whatever. Those peaks would have been pointy, even though they are cut off on the master tape. Vinyl is an overperformer.

Here, LP actually "wins" over CD. LP's difference between maximum to average is around 11.56dB, compared against the CD recording at 11.11dB and even the digital rip at 11.35dB. In other words, LP "real world" relative dynamics is better than CD's "theoretical" performance.

http://www.audioholics.com/educatio...s-cds-part-4-page-2/?searchterm=vinyl dynamic

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There is a lot of compression on pop CDs, but some of the waveforms shown here are very surprising. :eek:

Here are three waveforms that have been up on my site for a long time as an example of different types of music. None, even the Metalica, are as clipped as some fo the stuff shown in posts above.

Note: Green is left, red is right. The dB figure refers to the RMS average level of the track.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

These are wave rips shown in Goldwave audio editor. Average level was calculated by Goldwave.

Hi,
I wonder if the recording engineer took the time to compare the Metallica track before and after he shoved the gain up that high.
If they were to pay me to do that job I would be pulling it down a lot and using my ears and to heck with what the rest of the POP industry do. Out of a job pretty soon I imagine.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
OK, here is Nora Jones. The 1st track. Not as hot as I thought. Average level is -16dB below peak. That's Ok for this type of music.

Also you will see (in red) another track that sounds "hot", but the average is about the same as Nora. Much more even, tho. Interesting.....

Attachments

• soundgraf.gif
    soundgraf.gif
    41.8 KB · Views: 294
Need to let out some steam

Warning!!! Don't buy the new Traveling Wilbury's collection!!!

I already owned vol.3 but not vol.1 so I bought it. Well as I suspected the mastering engineers destroyed it. Here is a comparison of the original vol.3 track1 against the "new-and-improved" vol.3 track1:

I'll only be shopping at used record stores from here on :bawling:

Attachments

• wilburys_comparison.gif
    wilburys_comparison.gif
    60.4 KB · Views: 251
Alright, sorry to butt in, but this is driving me insane! Is there any free software I can use to get dynamic range graphs such as all the ones in this thread? I realize programs like Cool Edit, Sound Forge, Goldwave, etc. have trial versions you can use for 30 days or whatever, but is there any software I can use for this, that I don't have to worry about replacing in 30 days? Thanks so much!

The worst really noticable instance of severe clipping or limiting I heard was in a song by "Tears for Fears". The song is "Advice For The Young At Heart".

It happens in the beginning of the song! Maybe it was digitally recorded and they just removed the noise above the clip!

Overall the recording and engineering on the disc is superb. Listen to "Famous Last Words" and "Standing On The Corner Of The Third World" too. Amazing that the they are on the same disc.

Regards//Keith

Re: Re: Re: Modern cd's - over compression

This is my first post.
And I want to thank this forum and all the people for all the information I could read and learn! :)
joe carrow said:
If anybody out there knows of a list of well recorded CDs, I'd love to hear about it. I can keep buying and hoping, but it would be nice to pick up some more CDs that actually let the music come through.
Hall of SHAME.
Hall of FAME.

Bart.

There must be some mastering engineers on this forum and it sure would be enlightening to hear (ahem) from them.

The question is: How often do the sound engineers here get pressure to turn up the "loudness" for their mastering projects?

And without naming actual people, would it be possible to give an idea of which projects and record companies tend to be the worst offenders. (Not so much in reference to that Hall of Shame list, but more in the realm of categorization... metal or jazz, Sony or Warner)

:)ensen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.