Now Playing + What are you listening to?

The Misson - Gods Own Medicine

Digging thru my cd collection to flac them all i stumbled across it. Something i should have heard more often.

Funny thing is that in the days it was released i thought this kind of sound is overdriven and annoying.
Todays mixes go much further...

bobgroger said:
Blodwyn Pig "Ahead rings out"
Mick Abrahms after he left Tull.
"Getting to this" another great Pig album

:up:

Classic. I played in a band that did several BP covers.

I actually had to get someone to translate the spoken introduction to "The Change Song" since the English there is absolutely incomprehensible to the American ear. To us, it sounded something like "...and for me sister who's in another way of life, finicky Ampegs an' all that..." (actually, "...and for my sister, who's in Holloway for life, for nicking handbags and all that...")

rare findings

I had those Vinyl's for like 8usd at the local fleamarket today They are all in nearly mint condition! Not a schratch. The guy selling them did claim to have taken good care of them He is so right!! How often do find Led Zep in perfect condition????[/QUOTE

Steenoe, I agree with you: if you have your eyes wide open, luck is there to be found...
I have purchased very good imported vinyl at 1 o 2 u$s or so, in an used book store next to the harbour of my city. All mint -or quasi-mint- Van Morrison, Tom Verlaine, John Cale, Anthony Phillips, Steve Hackett, Kate Bush... Apparently, the former owner was man of very catholic tastes... but good catholic tastes...
I remember clearly the day when I discovered that pile of albums: I was walking along the little street shops, entwined with my lover -she knows that I have an unhealthy addiction to used records-, and, suddenly, I stopped on my two feet, saying to Cecilia: ¨I smell some vinyl¨.... -Please, take account of the fact that at that moment I had absolutely no idea that the shop in front of me had some kind of records at all-...
She said ¨oh, no, you junkie, here it comes again...¨ and ¨Impossible, they have only books there...¨
But there, in a dark and dusty corner of the shop, aaaaah... those unmmistakable cardboard sleeves...
They were waiting for me, I suppose.
Smetimes, some things happen to be there, in a silent limbo, patiently waiting for a master or an owner.
Perhaps another man, seeing my happiness in front of a pile of dusty records, said to himself...¨what a moron, as if that pile of junk was money¨
But that is money, indeed. Just check out the e-Bay pricing!!
Moronity is in the eye of the beholder.
I remember something that I read some years ago in Jung´s -jejeje, Gustav Jung, not the man of the capacitors-¨Psicology and Alchemy¨: it was something like ¨gold -or the philosopher stone. or whatever- is ¨in via rejectibus¨... está abandonada en la calle, abandoned in the street like rubbish.
Curiouser and curioser...

...and now playing

Gong ¨The Flying Teapot¨
Camel ¨Moonmadness¨
Genesis ¨The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway¨
Jethro Tull ¨This Was¨
Harmonium ¨L´Heptade¨ (A hauntingly beatiful, non-ciché prog album)
I don´t know why, but all of them in vinyl. Maybe as a regression to my teens. I my case, with prog, vinyl is the way to go...
Speaking of vinyl, I purchased Thomas Dolby´s ¨The Flat Earth¨ a couple of weeks ago, and I can´t believe how good it sounds: Seldom I´ve heard bass like that in my room -deep, fast, round of all roundness, and very coherent- .... please, check out if possible!
The music: strange, energetic and eclectic, and thankfully avoiding all those bloody and ordinary eighties clichés. I don´t know how to put it in words, but in some aspects that record is very eighties -in the good sense: modernistic, upbeat, cinematic-; but, in some other aspects, that could be a record released just yesterday, because it avoids all the f***** early MTV parafernalia of bad tempered Synclaviers, emulators and fairlights.
Don´t misunderstand me: there´s is a lot of synclavier, emu and CMI in that album, but they´re, well... perfectly tempered, never misused.
Highly recommended.

Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5425313

Listening for a couple of weeks after I picked it up the day it came out.

Man can she sing:bigeyes:
Great Americana for those who love a standup bass and pedal steel
Standout tracks include "The Needle Has Landed" and "Lion's Jaws

Attachments

• neko_case.jpg
    neko_case.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 139