My new shopping list:)

Attachments

• test tracks 1.gif
    test tracks 1.gif
    35.8 KB · Views: 995
Originally posted by Kvholio

Another one from the same era: Joe Jackson-Body and soul

Yeah! Excellent album!

Joe Jackson was -is- one of the few rock artists who cares about recording techniques. If I remember well, Body and Soul is a minimum multitracked album, transferred to 2 track digital.
It has a very lively and dynamic sound.
Another great recording are ¨Big World¨ -a very strange live album, ´cause the audience was asked to be silent not to interfere with the recording-; and ¨Summer in the City-Live in NY¨-, a nice trio work with a coffehouse feel.

Cheers

Talk Talk ¨Colour of Spring¨, ¨Spirit of Eden¨, ¨Laughing Stock¨: I enjoyed that albums very much; a recent search across the web make me realize how highly regarded those works are. General agreement is that those records are age-proof, timeless stuff.

The whole enya-watermark album is awesome, intro too..
Dire Straits - Your Lastest Trick, thats one track that has been played maaany times at my home..
hmm also no one? has mentioned Yello- Jungle Bill that is one not so good song but very FUN..
(..Decided to try that one at full volume one night when the neibours had been partying a bit too loud for too long, my diy amp did'nt break and still sounded nice, hehe that was fun )

Pink Floyd - "Any Colour You Like"

also: Sonic Youth - "Teenage Riot" and Interpol - "NYC"

i have all of these on good quality vinyl and they all have the right content for me to compare systems. on a bad system the highs on all of these songs will sound unfocused and generally uninteresting. a good system will make them addictively pleasant and punchy. a poweramp with poor bass definition causes the bass lines to be drowned in the general LF mix...often a sign of insufficient PS capacitance in cheap systems with undersized transformers. a certain degree of clarity is needed to bring an electric bass out of the mud.

Big Pig - Hungry town

another aussie that likes bela cool :)
yeah
the sinister minister
the cosmic hippo(keeps the empy house next door empty)
labyrinth (fingers slipping on strings)if bela and wooten do not seem to be in the room go back to the drawing board

crowded house live

Crowded House - [Recurring Dream 2 Private Universe -live

Crowded House - [Recurring Dream ( Live Album ) #06] Pineapple Head

I usually take the 'Gladiator' OST.
This one is an overkill test for any type of system (from entry level to high end) in terms of dynamics, bass authority and control, separation, soundstage and imaging, etc
It's a very complicated and demanding (audio wise) recording to be reproduced right.
Other demo cds I take with me would be some Chesky samplers, ECMs, etc for a more detalied analysis of a hi-fi system or component.

I don't think I have any that haven't been mentioned before but... I have added some new CDs to my shopping list.

"Dire Straits - Money for Nothing"
4. Your Latest Trick - I agree with the others, this is a great track!
2. Money for Nothing - This is still just plain exciting on a good system.
Overall a great recording.

I just picked up "Alice in Chains - Unplugged" today and while I didn't have a lot of time to listen to it yet. It seems like a great recording. This disc was recommended in another thread here.

Another great disc is "The Benoit / Freeman Project" This is a great jazz collaboration.
6. After the Love is Gone - This is a great cover of this track. I am pretty sure I like it better than the original by Earth Wind & Fire. There are a lot of other great tracks on this CD as well.

I have been using Herbie Hancock's album "Gershwin's World" as a "reference" CD, and I am very happy with it. I think it is the best recording I own (which is probably pretty sad), but my system is still the the developmental stages, so I am sure others can comment on that better than me. I think this is the best recording of undistorted instruments that I own, and it is the only CD that can "fool me" into thinking I am hearing real musical instruments being played. Plus, it is a really nice album!

Glad to see my thread is still up and running. :)

Found me a new reference CD, it's a Stereophile disk I got off of oink (if you don't know what that is, don't worry about it). It was FLAC encoded, I made it a WAV and sent it on it's way to the CD player. You find so many flaws in your setup it's incredible. :bigeyes: