Merged thread of demo songs, tracks and CDs

" ... Pitty [P. Floyd] wont be touring anymore but Gilmore has had enough apparently ..."

I have ticket to the "pink floyd" laser show coming soon to northern California ... but that will be recorded music set to machine driven laser lights and recorded background videos (and the tickets are a little pricey, but ... Smoke 'em if ya got 'em ... :cool: )

" Well, it hasn't really been "Pink Floyd" since Waters left the group, now has it? ..."

My favorite "Floyd" DVD = Roger Water's "The Wall" concert in the no man's zone just after the Berlin wall came down in 1989 = a boat load of real talent / Cindi Lauper / Van Morrison / most of The Band / Snowy White / ... much more ... :wave2:

pinkmouse: " ... Working on the Venice show was one of my highlights ..."

Is there a DVD of that? ... (I collect this kind of thing, wanting it for the "old folks' home" collection. ... also just back from last weekends "Summer o' Love" reunion in GG park = :crazy: ... and will be looking for videos of that as well = It was a hoot with some decent noise but nothing special.)

pinkmouse said:
I wish there was. It was on telly, but was never released on video. Some sort of copyright issues apparently. I'd love a DVD of any of the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour dates, I still think it was the best live show, (not that I'm biased). ;)

I agree, saw them in an indoor arena in Paris.... WOW!
The acoustics and light show were superb
:bigeyes:

Hold on... or was that the 'delicate sound of thunder'?..... Now I'm getting old!!!!!:wchair: :rolleyes:

" ... I'd love a DVD of any of the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour dates ... the best live show ..."

" .. Exactly the same tour, but with a year off in the middle. ..."

It could be! I want that, too ... or both ... or either ... Maybe we should start another video download site featuring these "rare oldys" ...

I just got the "Pulse" DVD (the new one with both discs and better sound) = http://www.amazon.com/Pink-Floyd-Pulse-David-Gilmour/dp/B000BTC5LW/ .... but I want more!

.... British Eyes Only ....
Along this same line of reasoning, but sticking to legal stuff, I just bought Fleetwood Mac's last decent "concert" video, which turns out to have been recorded in Warner Bros' studio concert hall. There are several tunes where Christy McVie really shines ... and now I'm in love again ... ;) The rest of this 'Mac video is quite good, if you over look the little tubbo doing her "I'm the cutest" thing and Lindsey's B'Ham's lack of a decent singing voice (You can't ever find fault with his guitar work, though = which is almost as good as any guitar gets. :D ) http://www.amazon.com/Fleetwood-Mac-Dance-Lindsey-Buckingham/dp/630463949X/

Forget the "Live in Boston" concert DVD ... :bawling: Too much cuteness, not enough music = a waste of plastic.

pinkmouse said:
Exactly the same tour, but with a year off in the middle. ;)

Ahhhhh yes! of course!

I must have seen them 5 times in as many years back then and you kinda loose track......

I'll tell you what though (this is gonna hurt some people) I went to the latest Genesis tour @ Old Trafford 20 years to the day after seeing them in the invisible touch touch tour (Wembley Stadium, What a superb set...magic! I still watch the video...)........What a pile of $%&*!!! they are now :cannotbe: The mid-range was so piercing because they were recording every concert.... and they've forgotten how to really play their instruments the lazy sods...

But as a direct comparison.... The Floyd... Now that's how to grow old gracefully........... and still sound as good as they did decades ago............rant over , sorry,.........

Off topic / reviewing the really old stuff

" ... What a pile of $%&*!!! they are now ... they've forgotten how to really play their instruments the lazy sods... "

That's the way it is if you don't stay fresh = too bad.

IMOP = some others not doing as well as in the past:
The above mentioned 'Mac ...
Ur above mentioned Ginassisted.
Our own Willy Nelson ... should also lay off the sauce.
The eagletts = their recent "live" DVD/CD was not inspiring.

From that "Summer of L0ve" in GG park: ( http://2b1records.com/summeroflove40th/lineup.htm )
Country Joe smells like Fish
the single Chambers Brother

Doing better:
Moby Grape actually sounded pretty good, but not as good as way back then (or when stoned).
New Riders of the Purple Sage was very good! Refreshing sound, as good as it ever was = a tight performance too.
Jesse C. Young and Friends = OK, but not quite worth paying for.
Here is the reason Moby sounded decent: the Jerry Miller Band ( http://jerrymillerband.com/ ) ... plenty good enough to sell tickets.
That group "from the Doors" should have stayed home.
Dan Hicks still rocks and is quite accomplished as old musicians go ... and The Charlatans = http://www.danhicks.net/amazingcharlatans.htm ... I don't know how these guys keep coming across so well without the regular, professional experience. Worth the wait and well worth the price of tickets.

BTW: The tickets were "free", so I bought T-shirts ... but some of the groups would have been worth a price of admission, most = not.

profiguy said:
Awesome thread!

I regularly use Steely Dan's "Everything must go" album

Also Meshell N'degeocello's song "Stay" - dryest best on the planet!

These will test your system's dynamic range for sure!

I don't know which album it was originally on, but Steely Dan's "Kid Charlemagne" seems like a nice test for bass. And "My Old School" has some excellent, tight, crisp precision guitar. And they're great songs, as is "Reelin' in the Years", of course.

- Tom Gootee

http://www.fullnet.com/~tomg/index.html

FastEddy said:
I recently started using Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" as a "test" for shaking out the bugs, "burn in" of new amps and speakers. BUT not the regular CD, the much better SACD version ... old tunes, almost memorized by many of us old timers, so when we hear it we can spot differences in equipment ... :D

(Who would have ever guessed that any Pink Floyd tunes would ever become "old favorites and old stand bys" ... )

Arrgh! The first concert I ever went to was Pink Floyd, just after Dark Side of the Moon was released. I MUST be old...

Oh so many, Live I'd say Little Feet waiting for columbus, metal = dream theater images and words, Ozzie Ozborne no more tears, female voice= Kate Bush on Peter Gabriels dont give up from So, Prog= Rione Stolt's The Flower King, Spocks Beard V or Transatlantic either one. Oh yeah cant forget Heart magic man and pink floyd animals

" ... female voice= Kate Bush on Peter Gabriels dont give up from So ..." --- The DVD video of this original studio performance is available and the sound track is 24bit / 48K = quite good = good choice IMHO .... :D

" ... pink floyd animals ..." --- No 24bit sources available (yet), but the vinyl is quite good as a test source.

" ... Little Feet waiting for columbus ..." - Same, same, No 24bit sources, but the vinyl record is a must have for any rocker over 40 ... ;)