music w/ some BASS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Grollins wrote (sorry guys I have mental block and forgot how post a quote)

>Boston: Foreplay/Long Time, perhaps?

That was the second track from Boston's Don't look Back album, don't remember the name of the song, but I remember the long bass note, about around 36Hz I believe. That used to rattle the windows, and just about pi** off anyone within 500 feet where I used to play it :cool:

P.S.>It's just right after the title track of "Don't look Back".

Hybrid fourdoor wrote (I still have than damned mental block);

Chances are if you download 128kbps songs (as most Ka*** type stuff is), it won't have all that low end in there. Alot of the MP3's I have don't have much low low bass, but that might also be from being downloaded in a Napster type era

Hybrid fourdoor, and to everyone else on is this forum, Ka*** is nothing but pure garbage. It is nothing but a piece of crap that installs crapware on your system. I've rescued Ka***'ed up systems from the eternal abyss of hell they were, when I do a backup of their mp3's (you know I like mp3's and will check them out) before I rebuild their systems, and they sound like poop. Chances are you will have to reformat and reinstall the operating system, plus the software that was once used (hopefully minus Ka***).:grumpy::headbash:

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I when the name "Ka***" is mentioned, I think, crappy sounding 128kbps MP3's and lots of spyware on the innocent user's computer. :bawling: :bawling:

I have to go and rescue my next door neighbor from KA***:sad:

Rimband said:
Hybrid fourdoor wrote (I still have than damned mental block);

Chances are if you download 128kbps songs (as most Ka*** type stuff is), it won't have all that low end in there. Alot of the MP3's I have don't have much low low bass, but that might also be from being downloaded in a Napster type era

Hybrid fourdoor, and to everyone else on is this forum, Ka*** is nothing but pure garbage. It is nothing but a piece of crap that installs crapware on your system. I've rescued Ka***'ed up systems from the eternal abyss of hell they were, when I do a backup of their mp3's (you know I like mp3's and will check them out) before I rebuild their systems, and they sound like poop. Chances are you will have to reformat and reinstall the operating system, plus the software that was once used (hopefully minus Ka***).:grumpy::headbash:

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I when the name "Ka***" is mentioned, I think, crappy sounding 128kbps MP3's and lots of spyware on the innocent user's computer. :bawling: :bawling:

I have to go and rescue my next door neighbor from KA***:sad:

KA*** Lite is the answer my friend:
http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q="index+of"+klite.exe&btnG=Search
:smash:

Here is one I like for bass:
http://max8888.orcon.net.nz/DnB.mp3
:devilr:

Mo' Lo Bass

Lots of low bass demos here: http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faq.htm#moviedemos
They are mostly DVD movies, but scroll down for CD bass demos (no Hip Hop though). The really nice thing is they include waterfall plots of the audio to show how low the bass REALLY is.

Some of my low bass favorites are:

Flim and the BB's (Jazz)
Big Notes

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones (Jazz)
Flight of the Cosmic Hippo - It's mostly synth bass, but goes darn low

Enya (New Age)
Enya (self titled) - I think the track is "FairyTale", about :45 listen for some very low synth bass

Good CD for bass is Kanye West - College Dropout.

His song "The New Workout Plan" has some really deep bass notes, and so do most of the songs on his CD.

Also, practically anything fom Lil John is basically a constant bass line. Songs such as "Bia' Bia'" has a lot of loud, low bass sounds.

Another song I've been hearing a lot lately is one called "Goodies." I dont know who it is by, but definately give it a try.

If you are interested in the more Rock/Hip-hop combo, try playng something from Linkin Park, their songs are also loaded with bass.

Hope something here helps you!

The Roots - The Tipping Point - 3rd track Dont say nuthin

Bruce Springsteen - Human Touch, Secret Garden

Rage against the machine - Killing in the Name

Mickey Hart Planet Drum - Temple Caves

Andrea Koziol - Simple - Tell it like it is

James Taylor - Caralina in my mind

Seal - all his albums

Miles Davis - kind of blue

Verdi with out words - Erich Kunzel - Cincinnati Pops Orch

And the list goes on and on and on

Re: Portishead

Yury said:
gday!
try to play Portishead group, Pearl album, 1 song "Insensible".
I hope your loudspeakers will stay alive.

Yury said:
hello again!
try this one - part of "insensible" song. "Portishead"
http://www.artmaydan.org.ua/plan/insensible_ph.mp3

Actually that entire album is not Portishead at all! Pearl is an album by a band called Mandalay. It was sold on eBay as an "unheard of rare prerelease" Portishead album by shady folks trying to make a buck off Portishead fans. Unfortunately 90% or more of the Mandalay songs on the net are mislabeled as Portishead.

Having said that I do love Mandalay, and Portishead, but the two are not even remotely the same.

As far as my bass tastes go, I second the Massive Attack recommendation, particularly the Mezzanine album.

more recommendations:

DJ Shadow: one hell of a drummer/sample artist/DJ, with a love of double bass, will certainly test for a "clean" sound

Talvin Singh : great DJ from India, lots of great music. Check out a song called Traveller(Kid Loco's remix), its a great song with great bass

Amon Tobin : another great electronic artist that knows how to bump the bass, check out the Bricolage and Supermodified albums, great stuff

Terra Firma : pick up the Sounds From the Ground album if you can find it, great instrumental album with lots of DEEEP bass

I have to agree with some of the folks that hip hop isn't the best music to test bass with. Having said that, if you like Hip Hop, you should like Trip Hop, which is quite a bit more sophisticated and musical than most hip hop, while having shared roots. Lots of great breaks, bumpin beats, deep bass lines and the like, with quality musicality. If you want to check out trip hop then listen to:
Portishead, Massive Attack, TRicky, Morcheeba,Lovage(more hip hop than trip, but great, GET IT!),Hooverphonic, Air, Lamb(get What Sound?), Zero 7 (great bass, R&B-ish).

If you're interested in any of that and can't find it, drop me a line and I'll help you out. My MP3 collection is at 39GB / 8500 files(90% 192/VBR or better) and counting, and my upload speed aint too shabby(64kB/s), so I'll hook ya up if need be.

Good thread!

U might wanne check out some massive attack stuff too:

"The man next door" -album mezzazine- has really low bas, I heard it only once on a system. Its that low....

What also will rock your subs is "angel" from massive attack, also on the album mezzazine. That song is also known from "snatch" a movie with brad pitt.

Also "forca" by Nelly furtado has some good extension, but I guess thats not really hiphop :D

ill second massive attack again. they have some nice nice stuff in there. i actually just got done listening to some massive attack on this thing:

(that's me standing next to it)

attachment.php4

Last year or so, I was at an outdoor rock festival in Bonn, Germany. The "ground-shaking-est" band was on the jazz stage; far more impressive and effective bass (and music) than all the rock/punk/dance there. In a fit of enthusiasm I bought their CD, and it is just as awesome as their live performance. (It must be played LOUD! by the way :D )

The band is Alex Gunia and Peace; album name "Jazz is Dead Since '69." (Jazzsick Records) Sort of jazz/fusion, a lot of rock energy. The album also guests Billy Cobham and Randy Brecker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.