Pink Floyd - 15 year old girl!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Elsewhere I saw another of her videos, covering some heavy metal song. She's pretty good (as guitarists go nowadays), but I'd like to hear her play with the distortion dialed back some.

There's no way on earth I could have play "Comfortably Numb" at her age - when I was 15 the latest album that just came out was "The Dark Side Of The Moon."

I can still play the lead to "Time," probably a lot better than I could back then.
This girl is pretty good too.
What is it with kids thesedays, do they have nothing to do but practice guitar all the time? Geez.

At her age I remember I could play it too

I started guitar lessons at age 7. By age 15 I could play just about any song that came out of the radio.....or so I thought.

One of my guitar playing friends had heard about this awesome guitar player that would change the world, or at least the way we played guitar. He wanted me to go with him to a Monkees concert. The Monkees had a TV show that was part comedy, and part fake band performances, why would I go see the Monkees? They sucked! My friend convinced me to go with him to the concert. He wanted to see the opening act, an unknown named Jimi Hendrix.

That show convinced me that I would never be a rock star, and convinced me to buy a broken Echoplex and fix it up. My guitar playing skills peaked at age 17, remained good till well into my 30's. By then I didn't have time to play much and my 1967 vintage Hagstrom got stolen. I still have the Mosrite, though I have played the frets off of it.

I started playing again when my daughter and her friends started jamming (late 90's). My wife got me a shiny new Les Paul for a birthday present in 2000, which I still play on and off. I still can't play near as good as I could at 17.

What is it with kids thesedays, do they have nothing to do but practice guitar all the time?........I think most are playing video games or gossiping on FB

Naw, thew get a Maschine or a Push and make EDM.

Last edited:
Some of the best guitar "shredderes" are indeed female.
Perhaps it's their thinner, more supple fingers?

Anyway she appears to be a natural, very gifted player.

Having been in the music businees in the past, I was often amazed at the natural talent of some young guitarist.

Last edited:
Makes me chuckle as I watch this, to remember reading somewhere that many of Gilmore's solos in the studio were actually crossfades of several different takes, cherry-picked for the best bits. This kid's just chuggin' right on through it ...

-- Jim

You can't deny though that Gilmour is excellent live, no retakes no splicing! The girl is still incredible though, there's no getting away from that. :)

If you don't have the music all you can do is try to work out the key then move on from there guessing what the notes are. Its a mixture of knowing the key and being able to pick it up by ear.

A lot of what is thought as talent is just very hard work going through it over and over again until you get it in your head. Then you have to practice every day to keep it there.
That's certainly how I learned.

I used to practice every night for about 20 years and in the end could play a sequence of tracks 6 hours long with barely getting a note wrong.

Sadly now I play rarely and much of what I knew by heart has gone, just leaked away from my memory cells.

Nigel: I never learned to read music, nevertheless I was still able to learn to play and compose original music. My friend and fellow band member, Colin, was forever trying to encourage me to learn reading and writing of music in the paper format. His technical knowledge of music is immense and currently he is doing a PhD in composition!

His recent music is incredible, check out Colin Broom on SoundCloud. Broom is a rare name so I doubt they'll be more than one.

I was thinking about putting some of my own old stuff from back then on SoundCloud too, though I'll need to get some audio software to digitize and process the tape recordings.

Gordon.

Edit, here's a link to his SoundCloud stuff: https://m.soundcloud.com/colinbroom

Last edited:
She,s mindblowing. Hendrix toured with the monkees and with englebert humperdink. Jimi asked engel for singing tips...he was always self-conscious about his singing...Hell, I thought he sang just fine, it,s not the voice control and tonal gymnastics IMO, it,s the style and delivery. I think Tom Waits is a great singer and he has a voice like a cheese grater sliding down a gravel driveway.

She,s mindblowing. Hendrix toured with the monkees and with englebert humperdink. Jimi asked engel for singing tips...he was always self-conscious about his singing...Hell, I thought he sang just fine, it,s not the voice control and tonal gymnastics IMO, it,s the style and delivery. I think Tom Waits is a great singer and he has a voice like a cheese grater sliding down a gravel driveway.

That's true ....Jimi always thought that he was a terrible singer.

BTW ... I saw Tom Waits live in the '70s at the old Capital Theater in Passaic , NJ..
This was at a time when he was relatively unknown and he was the opening act for "Pocco"

Tom was halfway through his set when some started chanting "Pocco - Pocco - Pocco,- Pocco".
Suddenly, Tom said "Pocco my *** (rhymes with pass)! I'm here for another half hour and you're going to listen to me !"
Long story short..........
Tom won the crown over and he got a standing ovation as they demanded an encore......which Pocco graciously allowed . :)

Last edited:
Cool story. When I first listened to waits, I thought he was being self-indulgent and pretentious, but the more I listened, the more I realized he was the real deal; His storytelling, melancholy ballads and refined sense of humor are a delight, .
He once had a serious relationship with another one of my favorite singer/songwriters, Rickie Lee Jones (who is coming out with a CD of new material for the 1st time in 10 yrs this June) but they split up after she got mad and dumped a bowl of spaghetti on his head. It seems she has a quick temper, despite having the ability to create hauntingly beautiful songs full of emotional power..she wrote *company* with Tom in mind, apparently missing him.
Waits is a good actor too, *Down By Law* is a small low budget gem directd by Jim Jarmusch, and Waits played his part perfectly IMO.

That's true ....Jimi always thought that he was a terrible singer.
I only heard that about him in the last year or so, I think it was in an NPR story about the recent movie on Hendrix.

I also heard John Lennon didn't like the sound of his voice, and certainly after the Beatles (and perhaps during, as on the White Album) he often ran his voice through various effects and stuff to change it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.