Karen Carpenter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Doesn't take long for these to go OT, does it?

A list of my guilty secret favorite female singers not named Karen includes:
Well that could/will go on for pages

Of course there more "talented" female vocalists than thoroughly rounded musicians - in the latter category Bonnie Raitt, Anne & Nancy Wilson, anyone?

This is GREAT! Keep the suggestions and comments coming. Been listening to Linda Ronstadt on Pandora. Included so far has been Bonnie Raitt, Carole King, Annie Lennox, Patsy Cline, and a few others. All good stuff. Roberta Flack, Lauryn Hill, and the Wilson sisters will be playing through my speakers tonight too!
Thanks for the replies,
Mike

I find it funny that the public image of KC was so sweet girly-girly, when in fact she was a lusty character perfectly attuned to her time. We think a sweet voice means a demure character, but this is a problem in our perception and or assumptions.

She was a really fine musician, and her band was first class.

KC - how can anyone like that manically depressed voice and how the Carpenters mangled the work of Paul Williams who wrote most of their songs.

Eventually Paul's friends persuaded him to record his own songs - the first 3 LPs are magic. Some said he was the new Cole Porter. The backing musicians were all excellent jazz men, the arrangements superb.

If you can find these LPs check them out - the Carpenters - no comparison. Sadly he succumbed to Andean snow - what a waste.

Paul Williams more recently:

Paul+Williams+Arrivals+ASCAP+Rhythm+Soul+Music+dm2yo0Bg0Wql.jpg

I guess we could all benefit from a reality check in our own bathroom mirror

Re Karen & Richard -- theirs was by no means the treaclyist top 40 pop at the time - and dam but she could sing - something that can't be said about many of the current era's "performers"

Diana Krall - another female vocalist that's very nice to listen to. Very talented piano player too.

Suzanne Vega - Luka, Tom's Diner, Marlene on the Wall. Smooth voice.

Tracey Thorn - from the group Everything But the Girl... she didn't have the right "look", I guess that's why EBTG didn't get big here in the US.

Corinne Drewery - from group Swing Out Sister.

Karen is in a class of her own. I was not really aware of her skills until I heard a famous "great" singer try to do Neil Sedakas "Solitaire". It sounds so easy when Karen sings it.

Wery few are good enough to be compared, Norah Jones was mentioned. Natalie Merchant, KD Lang, Kate Wolf comes to mind.
Another great performer is Annisette Koppel, lead singer in The Savage Rose. Say no moore..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6CdxwqNY7c&index=255&list=LLcY1y0fnvP6oKV74UCeBudw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RggpMwaruCI

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.