Forgotten Gems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"The Rising Storm is an mp3 blog about fine forgotten albums." Those tuned into this thread may want to bookmark their browser on that page.
Two unknown-to-me bands. The first I preferred; nice guitar and an interestingly crafted tune, though I have to get used to the singing. It appears to be in Hawaiian. I have to admit to some prejudice. I very much like my Dancing Cat compilation 'Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Masters' and probably expected more of that slack-key sound.
I can understand the affection for the Chrysalis album. It gushes musical creativity. It isn't, though, of a style high among my favorites. It may well be one of those albums in which repeated listenings bring out more and more and cause it to grow on you. I compare the style to a sort of Surrealistic Pillow meets We're Only In It For The Money. The band makes it sound much better than it appears in print. (big fan, just rather have my Marty or Frank straight, no chaser)
Thanks, Kofi. Don''t know where you dug these up but I'll be listening to the samples some more.

Here Stateside, the recently deceased Gerry Rafferty is really only remembered for "Stuck in the Middle with You" and "Baker Street". It's a shame, because I think he has a fairly consistent body of work. I'm only slightly partial to the Stealers Wheel era, "Right Or Wrong", "Outside Looking In", "Go As You Please", etc. Excellent pop/rock that doesn't get the press of say, Beatles and Big Star.

James Blood Ulmer 'Odyssey'
Guitar, violin, and drums trio playing a sort of rootsy folk/jazz. Vocal and instrumental. Maybe too eclectic for any purists. I always thought it rocked, and I always thought the Columbia CD reissue gave decent sound from a good system.
Alan Parsons Project 'Extended Versions'
Not much live APP around, and this is a fine performance, with decent sound for a live disc. From a budget priced set. This CD is I'm sure released under different titles. I own several from the set. Virtually no promotion. Some are very good, some it's better to look for the other titles (eg The Romantics is taken from the King Biscuit recording).

OK, here's a freebie for ya. Otherwise known as The Goodman Brothers "The Nicey Village CD." Free, legal, and non-lossy. And it has Steve Kimock on lead guitar. Frank Goodman is no slouch with his slide work either. It's pop-rock, but with a slight bit of a Southern Rock vibe to my ears. A little odd since they're not from the South. BTW, this is a studio archive, not a live show.

Last edited:
Lots of format converters about. I wouldn't let that stop me. But yes, SHN seems to have taken a back seat to FLAC.
My girlfriend likes this CD also. Billy Goodman has what might be described as a "sweet" singing voice. Steve Kimock sometimes runs with the Grateful Dead-related pack, and currently leads one of those "jam bands." I was bowled over to see him on one of the TV music channels playing Neil Young's "Cortez The Killer" with Grace Potter and Joe Satriani.

Last edited:
England, a very underrated and unheard progressive rock group from you guessed it, England. I had their "Garden Shed" LP long ago and the last time I saw it, an overweight bearded hippie (butt-crack and all) who operated an used record shop across from the OSU campus smiling over his newly acquired LP. :(

Reminds me of Yes, Genesis and Greenslade.

YouTube - England - Midnight Madness
YouTube - England - Three Piece Suite

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.