Forgotten Gems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's a Beautiful Day was sued and screwed out of existence by one of it's former managers, who wound up with ownership of the name and songs. The LP disapeared from stores in the early 70's. Mine was stolen in the 80's. The LP and now the CD are being marketed by the San Fransisco Sound Company. Their sales do not benefit the origanal band members at all.

Watching the same thing happen to some guys that recorded in a studio I worked at cured me of the usual "I wanna be a rock star" itch many young guitar players had.

electric violin players

Of course Jean Luc Ponty must be mentioned, but I have a few LP's by a group called Curved Air. Darryl Way was the electric fiddle player. He sometimes played the violin through an Echoplex. They are still touring 40 years later.

YouTube - Curved Air - Vivaldi

Watching the same thing happen to some guys that recorded in a studio I worked at

These local Miami musicians played the local club scene and several free outdoor gigs put on by Miami or Dade county to keep us bored teenagers out of trouble. They had a hit on the radio and were signed to a two record contract. All of the demo material for the second record was recorded where I worked part time. The record company kept rejecting their material until the deadline passed, then took ownership of everything. The singer, Lydia Jamene Miller, was sent to Big Brother and the Holding Company to replace Janis (Lydia passed away in 1978) and the rest was discarded.

Their one hit:

YouTube - Fantasy 1969 05 Stoned Cowboy

And of course Papa John Creach and Don Sugarcane Harris.
I have an old Ponty LP "Violin Summit" with Stephane Grappelli, Stuff Smith, and Svend Asmussen. Not rock, but great for what it is.
And I have another Ponty LP, titled "Violin Summit" also, with French bandmates playing a much more fusion style. Interplay between Jean-Luc and Philip Catherine elicits comparisons with Jan Hammer and Tommy Bolin from Billy Cobham's "Spectrum". Great stuff!

I was thinking (uh oh) that there is some difficulty in determining just what "forgotten gems" might entail on this international forum. The best quick example I could come up with is Marc Bolan. He was a superstar in England; in the US he was a one-hit wonder. I'm sure the reader can think of similar examples. No doubt they are plentiful.
I guess my point is... well I'm not sure what my point is. See "difficulty" above. Someone's forgotten gem may be a Top Ten to another someone or in another region. What say you?

Top Jimmy & The Rhythm Pigs. Unless you lived Los Angeles, you probably never heard of Top Jimmy, but probably heard the Van Halen song "Top Jimmy" - Roth was a huge fan of the man.

http://www.baddaddy.com/contest.html

Without a doubt, one of the great unknown blues voices. If you're a blues fan, this is an excellent disc...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Yeah, kec, I guess that was my main point; some "forgotten gems" may not be wholly forgotten. Sort of the Roy Buchanan syndrome, if you get my meaning. Top Jimmy the blues shouter appears to be something I'd like. I'd never heard of him.
On a related note, Pretty Things was mentioned early in the thread. Their SF Sorrow album is always given the fawning accolades, but to me the follow-up Parachute is a forgotten gem because it is the superior of the two. Am I alone in that assessment?

I guess my individualistic tastes get some reinforcement when I post to a popular international forum for audio buffs and get nothing....
Well, my vote is Parachute for Pretty Things' ***** masterpiece. Hands down.
Cohn's "Walking In Memphis" was a US #13 hit and he won the Grammy for Best New Artist of 1991. It hit #22 in the UK. Cher's version made it to #11 several years later.

Happy to hear it. I can appreciate the "rock opera and all" significance of SF Sorrow but don't find the music itself as good as Parachute. And it's what's between the grooves that really counts. SPLHCB ain't a great album cuz you can read the lyrics on the back...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.