The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 78 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2011, 01:03 AM   #771
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob323 View Post
Proof of concept.

Click the image to open in full size.
I was wandering if rob323 or someone else has finished there hamlet project.

I,m very keen to make some based on MK5 version.

Cheers
Old 28th March 2011, 04:20 AM   #772
diyAudio Member

ALUMINUM WAVEGUIDE

Have to take back for recessed screw holes. should be fine for machine screws as well. wood type screw for plywood is good but not so good for MDF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (103.8 KB, 489 views)
File Type: jpg WAVEGUIDE2.jpg (92.1 KB, 488 views)
File Type: jpg WVEGUIDE1.jpg (100.8 KB, 493 views)
File Type: jpg oxsocket10x125.jpg (45.0 KB, 473 views)
Old 28th March 2011, 01:41 PM   #773
diyAudio Member

My Elsinores, i,ll have a go at veneering them later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_12844.jpg (66.0 KB, 244 views)
Old 28th March 2011, 02:36 PM   #774
diyAudio Member

Default waveguide

Hello Joel, I posed a similar suggestion to Joe on this same dilemma, the back portion to match the tweeter flange contour. It was to think of the tweeter flange as an inclusive part of the waveguide and not something that mounts to the guide. In this respect one could first machine the back face that would accept the tweeter in the same fashion the tweeter accepts the (original Peerless) flange, and by doing so the plate (aluminum) can be flipped back over to machine the mouth, throat and flare at the exit. This I think will eliminate the additional attention to the tweeter/flange matching the guide. In essense the tweeter (without flange) would mount directly to the waveguide!
I could include a drawing if you do not see the image in your head!
Francis
Old 28th March 2011, 02:55 PM   #775
diyAudio Member

Default waveguide

Hello again Joel, I was a little to anxious to reply to this post as the images were slow to come online! It appears you have the fix already. Good work. With that said I would like to be on the list to order a pair! Sorry for the mix-up!
Francis
Old 29th March 2011, 08:38 AM   #776
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Hi Guys

With some help from Spoonted, this is the latest crossover. With certain source material with consistent bass below 100 Hertz R2 can get quite hot. So it should be a minimum rating of 10 Watt.

AMENDED CROSSOVER:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 29th March 2011, 09:05 AM   #777
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonted View Post
I was wandering if rob323 or someone else has finished there hamlet project.

I,m very keen to make some based on MK5 version.

Cheers
I would need a pair of the boxes here fitted with the drivers - then add Waveguide and then do a significant amount of work - the drivers are measured in situ, both electrical acoustic measurement, all which are imported into computer modelling where the initial crossover can be developed. Then the crossover needs to be physically constructed and tested and additional changes needed from there. Naturally we are talking about listening and then matching the tonal balance of the Elsinores.

We could call the Hamlet Mk5 so that it is apparent it matched Mk5 Elsinores.

So... needs to see the boses... ?

Cheers, Joe
Old 29th March 2011, 09:11 AM   #778
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panord View Post
Anyway, my question is a simple one, I think. I currently have the crossovers in an external box. I would like to move them inside the cabinet so I can clean up the wiring and eliminate a connection...
A number of people have fitted the crossovers to the bottom of the box. While I prefer external because it makes it easier to work and tweak them, doing it internally is OK by me. Some may point out that external crossovers see less vibrations, that is true, but I wouldn't make a big issue out of it.

Cheers, Joe
Old 29th March 2011, 12:04 PM   #779
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hello again Joel, I was a little to anxious to reply to this post as the images were slow to come online! It appears you have the fix already. Good work. With that said I would like to be on the list to order a pair! Sorry for the mix-up!
Francis
It will take some time but I'd like to see the first pair finished. Nice paint coat. Fitted in filler board
At this point I could take the orders and have them made and painted all together

Unfortunatley the weight of AL is more than I guessed. The total will be more like 2 or 3 KG

Planning a Hamlet build for center so extra Waveguide is needed. Hopefully the new xover will come out.

Joel
Old 30th March 2011, 09:12 AM   #780
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Wesseling View Post
It will take some time but I'd like to see the first pair finished. Nice paint coat. Fitted in filler board
At this point I could take the orders and have them made and painted all together

Unfortunatley the weight of AL is more than I guessed. The total will be more like 2 or 3 KG

Planning a Hamlet build for center so extra Waveguide is needed. Hopefully the new xover will come out.

Joel
Hi Joel, can you paint aluminium? I thought aluminium is anodised.

Hide this!Advertise here!