The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 110 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2012, 01:19 AM   #1091
jdkJake is offline jdkJake  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Now to give them a voice...

Well, the holidays and the day job took quite a toll on my ability to make forward progress (and I thought it might be a slow start to the year, HA!).

Anyway, I was finally able to finish and attach the side panels, insert and chalk the ports into place and put the final finish coats to the side panel end facings. Overall, I am very pleased with the results. The pictures are some what poor due to lighting, but, should give you a general idea on what the finished product will look like and where I am ultimately heading.

In any case, the cabinets are finally finished. (Yeah!!) I fit and drilled the driver holes this weekend as well. Now to stuff them, wire them up and then transition to build the cross overs.

The end is actually in sight and that feels good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3797.jpg (57.1 KB, 635 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3805.jpg (38.0 KB, 609 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3824.jpg (45.0 KB, 605 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3825.jpg (44.9 KB, 593 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3837.jpg (165.8 KB, 581 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3851.jpg (210.2 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3864.jpg (50.5 KB, 107 views)
Old 26th March 2012, 03:15 PM   #1092
tpate is offline tpate  United States
diyAudio Member

Jake, Noticed that you only left one hole for the input wires. A big part of tuning the speakers will entail changing some of the crossover parts to your liking. It is much harder and takes much more time to change parts when they are inside the cabinet. With that much time between changes it can be very hard to tell which you like best. Yes, ultimately you will probably end up with a favorite set up and it won't be an issue. At least use speaker terminal style spade connectors on the tweeter cap so it will be easy to reach through the woofer hole and change. Also the port tuning will be something you will want to do when the speakers are finished and working. Small differences in stuffing and stuffing material make a lot of difference at the port length. The speakers look stunning. A far cry from the black painted particle board mine are made of.
Old 27th March 2012, 02:16 AM   #1093
diyAudio Member

tpate,

I will be building external crossovers. I am using a neutrik 8-conductor speak-on connectors to bring out the connections to each of the drivers (two spare connections). Each driver will use spade connections to allow quick disconnect from the wiring harness. I will take a pic of the harness when I am finished with it to give you a better idea of where I am headed. I hear you though, flexibility appears to be key for any DIY design and I am attempting to embrace that philosophy to the fullest extent possible.

As for the port, it is held in by friction and anchored (and sealed) by silicon chaulk. If required, it will be straightforward to remove and remount. Not easy, but, straightforward. The material for the port is an electrical PVC coupling, so, extending should not be an issue (nor shortening for that matter). I should have a fair amount of leeway if need be.

Thanks for the kind words on the looks. :-)
Old 8th April 2012, 10:23 PM   #1094
diyAudio Member

Anyone using the Scanspeak tweeter?
Are they Audibly Identical to Peerless?

Thanks,Joel
Old 9th April 2012, 03:26 PM   #1095
tpate is offline tpate  United States
diyAudio Member

Joel, I am using the Scanspeak tweeters, but haven't heard a set of Peerless to compare. tpate
Old 10th April 2012, 02:04 AM   #1096
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpate View Post
Joel, I am using the Scanspeak tweeters, but haven't heard a set of Peerless to compare. tpate
Thanks, I'm assume there is no difference.
Old 10th April 2012, 02:22 AM   #1097
diyAudio Member

I read two stories regarding the HDS tweeter a while back. One is that scanspeak bought the tooling from peerless and another that speculated scanspeak built them for peerless all along.

In any case, they appear identical by their specs.
Old 10th April 2012, 02:25 AM   #1098
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkJake View Post
I read two stories regarding the HDS tweeter a while back. One is that scanspeak bought the tooling from peerless and another that speculated scanspeak built them for peerless all along.

In any case, they appear identical by their specs.
Perfect, that actually helps us here
Old 10th April 2012, 02:48 PM   #1099
diyAudio Member

The whole tymphany/scan-speak story is actually pretty interesting to say the least.

From what I can tell, scan-speak owned and manufactured peerless/vifa. Then tymphany bought them all and moved peerless/vifa manufacturing to Asia. In early 2009, scan-speak left tymphany, tymphany re-organized and scan-speak was back in for a bit and then spun off again. There appears to be quite a bit of cross company intellectual property, so, scan-speak brought the original peerless/vifa tooling back online in Denmark and now makes a number of those original peerless branded parts under a scan-speak part number.

What I cannot tell is if the manufacturing of the peerless version of the HDS tweeter was ever relocated to Asia or it actually remained in Denmark the whole time.

Regardless, I would suspect the scan speak version to be of very high quality and most importantly, consistent across units. Whether it was alway like that with the peerless branded parts is unknown. Although, no one ever seems to have complained about peerless quality control for the HDS line.
Old 11th April 2012, 11:27 AM   #1100
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkJake View Post
The whole tymphany/scan-speak story is actually pretty interesting to say the least.

From what I can tell, scan-speak owned and manufactured peerless/vifa. Then tymphany bought them all and moved peerless/vifa manufacturing to Asia. In early 2009, scan-speak left tymphany, tymphany re-organized and scan-speak was back in for a bit and then spun off again. There appears to be quite a bit of cross company intellectual property, so, scan-speak brought the original peerless/vifa tooling back online in Denmark and now makes a number of those original peerless branded parts under a scan-speak part number.

What I cannot tell is if the manufacturing of the peerless version of the HDS tweeter was ever relocated to Asia or it actually remained in Denmark the whole time.

Regardless, I would suspect the scan speak version to be of very high quality and most importantly, consistent across units. Whether it was alway like that with the peerless branded parts is unknown. Although, no one ever seems to have complained about peerless quality control for the HDS line.

Thanks. A new pair is in the works and wanted to certain.

BTW: Good job on the cabinets

Hide this!Advertise here!