'LGT' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
sq225917 said:
do us all a favour Shin, stack your units together and stick the drivers in just so we can get an idea what they'll look like completed.

I posted something similar to what your asking a few pages ago. Aside from those shots I don't have anything significantly progressed to warrant an update at the moment.

I'm working on them as much as my free time will allow so will update once I have something half interesting to show.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Hey chaps

Got a fair amount done over the weekend. Went out at 9 this morning and have just cleaned up at nearly 10pm, I'm knackered. On the woodworking side, one speaker is so very nearly completed except for a missing tweeter baffle. The glue isn't quite set on some parts so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get some shots of that.

The other speaker is steadily catching up. I did one of the mid/bass baffles and progressed one of the mid/bass enclosures a good amount as well as cutting lots of bitumen, lead, foam and BAF to size ready to just slot in come the time.

I seem to have run out of MDF, I did make a few mistakes but thought the offcuts would make up for it. I think the slight cabinet change is where the MDF has gone. I loathe running of stuff halfway through a job.

I'm guessing another month tops for all woodworking to be finished, so that's 3 months taken leaving another 3 until the DIY meet. The spraying is as involved and every bit as time consuming as the woodwork so its going to be close. The paint might still be wet come the meet!

Honestly you guys are giving him too much credit. Look at all the stuff that is not DIY in that picture. I mean really. Its like you aren't even trying Shin!

/I wasn't sure about the curtains.

Attachments

• tism70.jpg
    tism70.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,184
imjatse said:
Honestly you guys are giving him too much credit. Look at all the stuff that is not DIY in that picture. I mean really. Its like you aren't even trying Shin!

/I wasn't sure about the curtains.

I have to laugh at that. DIY radiator and chairs etc. Hmm. They do look excellent though, I have to say. It takes a lot of work, and a certain type of person, to be prepared to actually go through with something so complex, I hope they end up sounding, as good as they will end up looking.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Tenson said:
Lol, gotta love the 'unveiling curtain' :D

;)

It wasn't intentional, we're having a new bathroom suite and all the junk from that is on the other side of the room so I couldn't get a decent shot from the usual angle, at least not without standing on a toilet :D There's a pair of doors in the conservatory so I decided to open those and take a shot from outside. What you see there is the result.

Just why am I explaining myself to you lot? :p

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
5th element said:

I have to laugh at that. DIY radiator and chairs etc. Hmm. They do look excellent though, I have to say. It takes a lot of work, and a certain type of person, to be prepared to actually go through with something so complex, I hope they end up sounding, as good as they will end up looking.

Thanks 5th element. I hope so too!

ALDO said:
the design looks at much with
Focus Audio Master 3

http://www.focusaudio.ca/index1.htm

it is really splendid :eek: , congratulation ;)

Cheers ALDO, I've enjoyed looking at your projects over on the french DIY forum that you moderate. Excellent stuff.

The FA Master series wasn't one that I'd taken idea's from but rather the Rockport designs caught my eye. Looking at it now its more like the FA than the Rockports, there's still a lot of character to be added in the spray job and driver insets though. BTW if someone was worried about the mid-mid spacing on my MTM you should avoid looking at the FA Master's :)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Just the tweeter baffle to tweak and smooth out and then this one is finished:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I wanted to get some shots at different angles because wherever you look at this speaker from its just cool, however they're too heavy to push around so gave up.

You can plan, design and then look at as many computer renderings as you like but nothing really tells you what a project will look like in the flesh. For me there's three really rewarding moments in a loudspeakers construction. The first is this 'woodworking complete' stage, the second is when the finishing work comes together to create a finished loudspeaker and the third is when the sound snaps into place and you can sit back and enjoy a completed project on both aesthetic and aurally pleasing levels.

Its a real shame you can't see these in flesh because they're stunning, every one of my expectations set out in the initial design has been met or exceeded and the loudspeaker, as it stands, is easily my best work and has pushed the practical experience that I have to the limits. Few things are more rewarding than these things so forgive my enthusiasm but I'm sure you lot understand anyway :)

I'm itching to start listening but am still waiting for the Flex units to arrive from Audiotechnology. I've been told they'll be ready very soon though.

Priming will start as soon as possible, that way the paint can be hardening between coats and I can work on the other loudspeaker as it does so. The hard part is nearly over and the paint is where the project will come to life. I always enjoy the spraying as I get kick out of the fumes. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.