'LGT' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They don't have a router table at the shop, nor a straight bit that is 3/4". I glued the braces together this afternoon. I cut a thin piece of wood and slid it in the gap. Glued and put liquid nails on it. I can only work on my speakers on the weekends because i have too much work. Construction is almost done. I'm also testing out stains. My enclosures can't compare on any account, but i'm learning. They are Onken style enclosures. Dave (Planet10) helped me understand the way he designed the Fonkens, so i used that and have created what I call the BiTonkens. They are bipolar Onken style enclosures. But hopfully should be good for the $80 in drivers total.

Thanks,

Josh

once again Shinobiwan you have outdone yourself and probably most of us ( praps I'd better only speak for myself ha ha!!).

Quick question, after seeing some shots of your other creation, apart from the obvious distinctive styling is the very nice finish you obtained.I'm not sure what I would type into the search, but I'm assuming that at some stage you have documented elsewhere how you obtain the finish you do.

Would you ( or perhaps someone else) have a link to such a thread - assuming one in fact does exist??

Also, way back in the beginning of this thread, you mentioned in passing that you had decided to bypass the Manger, without a lot of details why. Would the reasons you bypassed the Manger be in another thread somewhere??? If not, could you give just a little rundown on what you found lacking re the Manger??

all the best, don't know how you find the time to do your projects AND keep us informed!!

see ya

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Hi Terry and thanks.

I tried to outline what I do with spraying in this thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83141&highlight=

About the Manger: I couldn't get over the fact that its quite directional in the high frequencies meaning you really need to be virtually on axis otherwise you loose all the air/stuff over 10Khz. Sorta killed the whole thing dead despite some rather nice traits elsewhere.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Made a start on one of the tweeter baffles:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Might all be in vein though as there looks to be trouble with my foreign transfer to RAAL. Not sure what the problem is but its been nearly 2 weeks since the funds left my account and in this time I have also paid for and received the Audiotech mids which isn't a good sign. Will have to play the waiting game until I can either get my money back or the RAAL tweeters.

I'm getting a little pressed for time and will be needing something within the next month so will be looking at either the Raven R2, the AC G1 or more likely the Scanspeak D3804-6000 aircirc at that time should the RAALs not be inhand.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
m0tion said:
AirCirc? Hmm... I know this isn't really your style, but if you're looking for a good temporary tweeter while you get your RAALs the Seas 27TDFC seems pretty great, especially for the ~$30 price. I'm sure you've read about it at Zaph/etc...

Too cheap :D

ackcheng said:
The other option is Alien, by the same design of Raven.

www.e-speakers.com/

Too expensive :D

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Puggie said:
I have some Fountek CDNeo3s if you want something ribbony to put in while you sort your drivers out. just pay fo shipping both ways and you can borrow them for as long as you need, cos I won't be using them anytime soon.

Thanks Puggie, that a very generous offer.

I'll see what happens with these RAAL's but may take you up on that offer. BTW its not RAAL's fault for delay but rather my banks hit and miss consistency with foreign money transfers.

ShinOBIWAN said:

Thanks Puggie, that a very generous offer.

I'll see what happens with these RAAL's but may take you up on that offer. BTW its not RAAL's fault for delay but rather my banks hit and miss consistency with foreign money transfers.

I know your pain, I have had the same doing switch and credit card orders to the states and them being flagged up as 'potentially fraudulent' and declined usually at a time when you are totally unable to contact either the company or bank in question.

the founteks are not great (compared to your RAALs anyway ;) ) and not doing anything as I have lent my C-Quenzes to a friend and they have been 'mis-placed' so I won't be using the founteks anytime soon (and you trusted me with that ATC so I'm happy to return the favour:) ).

Out of interest why did you go with the underhung Audio Technologys? I was reccommended the overhung version (same magnet and cone looking at them) as mid-midbass drivers.

What an excellent thread, great work Shin! I think it allows us to vicariously live through you :D I'm also jealous how quickly your project progresses. It takes me more than a year to finish mine, probably because its so cold during in the winter to cut anything outside, so I always wimp out.

The Scanspeak tweeter you're referring to is the Aircirc 6600. It may just be one of the best tweeters ever made, and has virtually no higher harmonics to speak of. Unfortunately, they are suspiciously unavailable for the last few months. Word has it that the engineers who designed it have left the company, and taken the design with them. I hope that is not true becuase I would love to get a pair. I also think they would be excellent for your project if you managed to find a pair, because they have nearly the same off-axis response as a 3/4" dome.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Finished one of the tweeter baffles:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Quite pleased with how it turned out though I might go back and redo because of a few mistakes. The problem was the I had to do the driver recess using clamps and a little free hand work, its not bad but its not brilliant either but it will be hidden away behind the felt but I guess the point is that I'll know its there.

One thing that did turn out real nice was the recess I cut into the 9mm MDF that forms the face of the baffle and the recess for the felt to sit in. Believe it or not I did that entirely free hand with the jigsaw and its absolutely spot on with the edges being very straight. Looking at the photo's seems to make it look as though these cuts are curved but it must be something to do with the camera optics distorting the image as even the radiator, which is definitely straight, looks like a banana. :)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
m0tion said:
Shin:

I don't know what your profession is, but if it's not woodworking you've missed your calling.

Computer related sillyness is what I get paid for.

I know I don't have what it truely takes to be a craftsman, building speakers out of MDF is one thing but building a fine piece of furniture is another that takes years to learn. Most of what you see here is toying around, making mistakes and then trying to perfect through trial and error repetition with lots of wastage. So trust me, whatever illusion you have of me being skilled at this would quickly be dispelled should you stand next to me and watch whilst I worked :) What I am good at is planning and designing throughly, my woodworking skills are a way behind but much of the slack is taken up by the depths I go to when planning and the fact that I'm a bit of a perfectionist so will go back and redo if something isn't to my liking, in the end what you see in the photos is what I'm happy with so its a little biased if you like.

Woodworking is noble craft and I've got a lot of respect for the masters but sadly nobody wants to pay for it nowadays.

I have a first series Scanspeak 6600 (94 dB version, new one is less sensitive). And the Raal sounds more dynamic (it should with the additional radiating area). Both share similar characteristics, both very natural presentation (free of grain and with the correct timbre).

The Scanspeak 7000 cannot match this performance. While the Mundorf AMT delivers the resolution and low distortion it just doesn't have the timbre right. It sounds very, very clean. The Raal offers the same resolution, but has the timbre of the 6600. I have to admit if the new 6600 sounds likes the old one, it's a true bargain. It's my favourite dome tweeter (I prefer it over the Morel Supreme/ Seas Millenium).

p.s. I used all drivers mentioned in one of my design efforts.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
LaMa said:
I have a first series Scanspeak 6600 (94 dB version, new one is less sensitive). And the Raal sounds more dynamic (it should with the additional radiating area). Both share similar characteristics, both very natural presentation (free of grain and with the correct timbre).

The Scanspeak 7000 cannot match this performance. While the Mundorf AMT delivers the resolution and low distortion it just doesn't have the timbre right. It sounds very, very clean. The Raal offers the same resolution, but has the timbre of the 6600. I have to admit if the new 6600 sounds likes the old one, it's a true bargain. It's my favourite dome tweeter (I prefer it over the Morel Supreme/ Seas Millenium).

p.s. I used all drivers mentioned in one of my design efforts.

LaMa

How much would it cost to pursuade you to part with the Scan 6600's? I'm very serious BTW, name a figure that your looking for and I'll see what I can do.

I had the 6600 on order in middle of last year and then waited and waited... nothing for a couple of months and then was told that there was some problem with manufacturing and that they'd be introduced at the beginning of 2007. Well I've emailed Tymphany once again and looked also looked around the net and it seems that this tweeter is never going to hit the market at this rate because its still the same situation with no firm date.

I used the R2904-7000 on my last project and boy is that tweeter overpriced. Did you think it sortof exagerated the very top end (10Khz+) a little? If you used a shelve on it then it tamed the very slight edge but then you lost resolution plus cymbals and the like sounded a little muted and unnatural.

ShinOBIWAN said:

LaMa

How much would it cost to pursuade you to part with the Scan 6600's? I'm very serious BTW, name a figure that your looking for and I'll see what I can do.

I had the 6600 on order in middle of last year and then waited and waited... nothing for a couple of months and then was told that there was some problem with manufacturing and that they'd be introduced at the beginning of 2007. Well I've emailed Tymphany once again and looked also looked around the net and it seems that this tweeter is never going to hit the market at this rate because its still the same situation with no firm date.

I used the R2904-7000 on my last project and boy is that tweeter overpriced. Did you think it sortof exagerated the very top end (10Khz+) a little? If you used a shelve on it then it tamed the very slight edge but then you lost resolution plus cymbals and the like sounded a little muted and unnatural.

Do not worry the Raal is better, oh before I forget I keep all my drivers (yes there is a lot of capital on the shelf). At the moment I am using the 6600 with a pair of 15H units in a third system (the third system is for trying out stuff).

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
A shame that you want part with the 6600's but I'd be the same if I was onto a good thing, you've likely just done me a favor anyway. But they're really quite rare as I think that only a couple of batches were made before things got halted for months and months.

The RAAL's seem to be the hailed by all who own or hear one as a truly natural transducer and frankly I've only heard one, maybe two that I would put in that category. So I think its worth the wait even if it means that the project gets stalled. Allowing for delays I still think there's a good chance these will be finished for the end of July and that includes the spray job and finishing hopefully. Fingers crossed for some hot weather early on.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.