Driver suggestions 150Hz-2KHz Xovers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2006, 03:30 PM   #11
Tenson is offline Tenson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It doesn't matter really I will be using it with a digital crossover and lots of power.
Old 28th May 2006, 03:36 PM   #12
Notax is offline Notax  Montenegro
diyAudio Member

http://www.audiotechnology.dk/iz.asp?id=4|a|132|||

Audio Technology (Skaaning) Flex Units 5" or 6".

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 28th May 2006, 03:40 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I looked at though and liked them but could not see a price. Madisound have some other units but not the Flex as far as I can see.
Old 28th May 2006, 03:51 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tenson
I looked at though and liked them but could not see a price. Madisound have some other units but not the Flex as far as I can see.
I found for C-Quenze series 6" about 240 , and Flex Units 6" 360-370 .
At Solen (Canada) FlexUnits 6h52.... is 490$, its 387 . In EU it must be some less.

Distributors

Open Air Germany Skaaning price list

5H52 - 264
Old 28th May 2006, 03:59 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

hey tenson , this is the response about your question, why you have to cross it under 150hz. I quote zaph, on his page, why lower xmax woofers sound better

Quote:
Long voice coils have associated response problems. Look at any monster woofer's response in the lower midrange and you will surely see a massive peak and dip. Short voice coil woofers don't have this problem. With some woofers, the initial peak is still audible even with a low 4th order rolloff. In fact, peaks are still audible even if completely filtered out - They re-appear lower in frequency as 3rd order harmonic distortion. This is why some subs are easily localized even when crossed over at 80 hz.
Old 28th May 2006, 04:04 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Accuton ceramic units. 5" or 6".

Accuton

C2_95-T6 - USA Retail $ 252

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 28th May 2006, 04:05 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

How do I know if it has a long voice coil or not? It just says the diameter. I was under the impression large diameter voice coils are better for low distortion and power compression. Not sure about their length though.

So, are there any 12" woofers that can go higher than the Lab12 and still give a good deal of bass in an EQ'd infinite baffle box? Similar price too.
Old 28th May 2006, 04:17 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

hello tenson !

the lenght of the voice coils is one of the factor defining the Xmax of your drivers, even if it depends on the motor structure.

The LAB12 motor structure seems to be pretty classic, so i guess zaph's comment is totally relevant in the case of the LAB12

Then, there is no secret,if you want to be able to cross higher without dealing with harmonic distortion problems, you will have to trade Xmax.

when you say infinite baffle, you are talking about a closed box right ?

then a 8" midrange could do the trick if you cross the drivers at 70hz 4th order

Note that some motor technologies seems to improve theses fact, like adire XBL2, but i don't know the figures about that so i will let the elders speak
Old 28th May 2006, 04:28 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

if you want to cross higher, while using for example a smaller driver for the midbass, i would advise you to go with this kind of driver :

Hivi W12

Hivi M12

or even

Peerless SLS12

i did put three of them so you can see the difference with the LAB12 or any other super woofer that has around 15mm xmax :

Theses have an halfed xmax, a little less bass capability, doesn't present the "peak and dip" configuration of such drivers, and are crossable to 200-300hz, even more for the SLS.

On the other side, 8mm xmax is still sufficient for most applications, especially provided you are using two drivers

such drivers will allow you to use smaller drivers like the audiotechnology 5" or 6", or any other, that will have better off axis response around the crossover to the ribbon.

it's your choice,but don't mix the two solutions = don't put a 5" driver with 2 mm xmax in a sealed enclosure crossed over to the LAB12
Old 28th May 2006, 05:04 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I think I would rather use a slightly larger mid driver than change to any of those bass drivers. They would all need to be ported to achieve bass down to 20Hz at any good level. For accuracy I prefer closed box with high power and Xmax.

I do like the Accuton drivers but even the 7" doesn't seem to go loud enough at 100Hz in a closed box. The Scan speak revelator and the 21 thingi from the Pheonix go a bit higher though.

Hide this!Advertise here!