Laminating cabinets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, I've now had a few days to listen to them and I am of two very different minds.

On the one hand, I am amazed how far they've come with little drivers. It's hard to believe that sound is coming from them. They're pretty darn good including very nice imaging.

On the other hand, that's an awfully large box for such small drivers. They're anything but efficient and max dB is quite low.

In that 20+ litre box, with the same monies spent, I know very well I could do better.

Am I thinking about this fairly?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Well, you're always going to have difficulty matching SPL with your other rigs, and it is an eloquent demonstration of the differences in sensitivity and power handing of pro drivers compared to domestic ones. If you like the box it would be fairly simple to cut a new baffle, perhaps from a nice hardwood and try some other drivers, though where you would go to match your others, I'm not quite sure. For sheer power handling in a relatively small format I'd possibly be looking at Morels.

You know Al, I was thinking something similar. I could put the WR's in smaller boxes and use them as satellites along with a powered woofer somewhere.

I could put the drivers for the intended next set in these and add a box under them with the Extremis, drone and plate amp. That would fill in the "bristle" part of the brush handle. ;)

Only problem is, I was planning to use a Foster 10F3 for the upper mids and was hoping to OB it so that would mean cutting these open. Not a big deal I suppose. I did blueprint the screw locations so I could probably do it without too much damage to me or the blades.

Or, I have on loan, another set of small alnico drivers similar to the Fosters but with a much "lighter" sound that might tolerate being in a box. The 10F3's need to breath IMO.

Oh, and no need to match SPL. The only pro gear in the house is the big coax units that happen to double as a TV stand. Only use them for over the top party time. The rest of the indoor stuff is subtle in comparison.

So many directions, no map.

Time for a beer.
Cheers.

FIVE YEARS LATER:

The urge has hit to go back and do something with these cabinets. I just couldn't put them on the burn pile. The original drivers morphed into the "Calhoun" and these laminated boxes now need filling. Not sure yet but I will think over the next few days as to what direction to head. The cabinets are about 22 litres IIRC so enough breathing room for something decent. I think I'll go poke around the speaker room and see what might work. Stay tuned. This will be the 6th project since October. :)

Here's from 5 years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_6409.jpg
    IMG_6409.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 92
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.