Ascendant 6.5" midrange

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ascendant 6.5" midrange

I am doing a design using the new Ascendant Audio 6.5" poly midrange, specs here: http://www.ascendantaudio.com/poly_6.5_page.html

I was wondering what you guys think would be a good box size and tuning point for this driver. Its going to be a vented design with a 2" flared port and I have a max of 1.2 cu. ft. to work with. I was going to do something around 1 cube tuned to around 40hz, but I thought I would look a little closer at the design before I get past the no return point of setting the box volume. I will likely use it with a sub, but would like to have decent in-room extension in case I need to run them by themselves.
Yes, I know what WinISD and all typical box calculators tell me in terms of box size, just looking for input from some actual brains.
Thanks

The drivers are already bought :) Ill let you know what I think once they are finished, since nobody else has said much on these. The price/performance looks pretty good at least. I need to look some more at the box design, Im thinking that I might reduce the volume a bit, down towards 0.75 cubes or so.

So now looking at the box design a bit more, I think that if I stick to the 0.75 cu. ft. volume, I would like to tune it fairly low (36 hz) to keep the in-room response from getting peaky around 40-50. Anyone see any problems with tuning much below Fs?

For 35$, poly woofer with alu phase plug, copper shorting ring, cast basket, powerfull motor based on a technology very similar to XBL^2 (assuming they use the same kind of motors they use in their subs), i'd say you in fact can't go wrong. If the driver do an half of what it should, you already have done a good investment.

Well that was my thoughts, there just arent comparable woofers at that price point. The extremis is about 3 times as much, and even it has some characteristics that I dont really like to have to deal with.
I needed a woofer that could reach down fairly low, while not having any nasty breakup in the typical crossover region. While Im not sure about this driver due to the lack of information, I still am taking a shot with it due to its value.

Im still a bit stuck on box tuning, and not having great information doesnt help much, as well as not knowing exactly what room these will be placed in. My bedroom is very small (12x10) but if I move and run them in a large room I dont want them to be overly rolled off. Neither do I want them to be extremely peaky in the middle bass region. I dont really plan on running these with an EQ, so they need to be fairly flat out of the box.

chAse said:
Well that was my thoughts, there just arent comparable woofers at that price point. The extremis is about 3 times as much, and even it has some characteristics that I dont really like to have to deal with.
I needed a woofer that could reach down fairly low, while not having any nasty breakup in the typical crossover region. While Im not sure about this driver due to the lack of information, I still am taking a shot with it due to its value.

Im still a bit stuck on box tuning, and not having great information doesnt help much, as well as not knowing exactly what room these will be placed in. My bedroom is very small (12x10) but if I move and run them in a large room I dont want them to be overly rolled off. Neither do I want them to be extremely peaky in the middle bass region. I dont really plan on running these with an EQ, so they need to be fairly flat out of the box.

I've a pair, they pretty much spank the Vifa P17SJ-00-08 that they replaced. They are of different impedances though, take that how you will. Not much other comparisons yet, still need to play with them in other rooms.

.5 cu. ft. enclosure, 2"x4" port. I prefer ported in this size, however it sounds like there's more to be had. Another enclosure is in the works.

The 10hz sawtooth tone trick is neat to watch, the center of the cone damn near gets to the end of the phase plug.

to Cyrus_s

wondering if this is the driver I've been searching for.

"a driver in the 5.25-6.5 range to operate between 80* hz and 700 hz. More likely in a narrower range of 80+* hz to 500 hz."
* have subs, do THUMP!

"With 4th order active filtering in either a TMM or, more likely, MTM configuration (yet to be decided). Ssensitivity in that range along with a host of other factors are issues."

" XO'd to a planar mid/tweeter unit with nominal 94dB sensitivity rating, 5-6 dB peak @ 12K*; with notch filter for peak* & some adjusting (EQ) above 1K, more like 91-92dB."

Your comments along with anyone elses who reads this far

Thanks

tony

These drivers look really interesting, especially for the price. I'm waiting for some objective testers to get their hands on them before I draw any conclusions.

One thing I don't expect to see is high sensitivity. They have a small cone (with a phase plug, even less area!) and a lot of Xmax. If they are over 85 db / 1w / 1m, I'd be pretty happy about that.

I have my eye on these as a possible "stealth" sub, or as a different woofer for something very much like Linkwitz's Pluto design. That design has certain limitations- mainly that it uses a single sealed 5" woofer. The off-axis requirements up near 1 khz prevents you from simply using a larger driver. This one could be useful in such a situation....

Joe

One thing I don't expect to see is high sensitivity. They have a small cone (with a phase plug, even less area!) and a lot of Xmax. If they are over 85 db...
what are your thoughts for my MTM* application? 88dB at best?!
*actually this is a woofer mid-tweeter** woofer (WM/TW?)application
** mid & tweet are a single unit in case you haven't kept up on this thread

gp4Jesus said:
to Cyrus_s

wondering if this is the driver I've been searching for.

"a driver in the 5.25-6.5 range to operate between 80* hz and 700 hz. More likely in a narrower range of 80+* hz to 500 hz."
* have subs, do THUMP!

"With 4th order active filtering in either a TMM or, more likely, MTM configuration (yet to be decided). Ssensitivity in that range along with a host of other factors are issues."

" XO'd to a planar mid/tweeter unit with nominal 94dB sensitivity rating, 5-6 dB peak @ 12K*; with notch filter for peak* & some adjusting (EQ) above 1K, more like 91-92dB."

Your comments along with anyone elses who reads this far

Thanks

tony

IMO At the least go MTM to increase sensitivity. However, what does one do with either an 8 or 2 ohm nominal load? Oh wait I now re-read active filtering.. with the ability to trim back those planars if need be, I'm sure you'll be able to tailor to taste with at least 2 drivers per side.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.