Ascendant 6.5" midrange

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ascendant audio 6.5

I've recieved two of these drivers and then ordered 2 more.
I obtained specs using sound easy.
qe=.3552 qm=2.55 qt=.3118 fs= eff=88.16 fs=48.4 mms=16.36 vas=18.05 bl=6.7
both drivers were very close to each other in spec.
the only diff. I see from the published ones are fs being a little high and qe is quite a bit lower which I consider a plus.
As far as fr, I mounted one in a .6 cu ft box tuned to bout 45, this box is only 8 inches wide with sharp corners. The response was just like shown on their web page but did have some ripple due to the box. They should call this a 7 inch driver it is a bit bigger than a 6.5. I sure hope this company makes a go of it, we need more like it. I also purchased some assasin 10's and they look good also.
bill horn

what does "n00b" mean?
Newbie/Noob = new to diy

chAse,
Not bad at, all much better than my first cabinet. So how do they sound and what are you powering them with? I have been itching to get some of these but kind of backed off when I saw they were 4 ohm drivers. I wanted to do the MTM thing. So that would get a 8ohm as 2ohm isn't a option for me but won't efficiency suffer?

ascendant audio 6.5

If you connect two in series the efficiency strays the same.
Twice the impedance = 1/2 the current but twice the cone area.
If your wanting to go mtm for more bass it's probably not necessary, these drivers have plenty of bottom to go single.
I first tried them out with a dynaco sterio 70 wired in triode mode.
Next with a halfler dh200.
sound was good with both, more impact with the hafler though.
I only played around a little with the xover, will have to do some modeling next. This is going to be a very easy driver to work with, similar to P17rcy.
I don't think there will be anyone dissappointed with this one!
By the way the sensitivity from SE is calculated for 1w/1m. 88.16 db
At 2.83 volts/1m it would be 91.16 db.
bill horn

What crossover are you using? I just built the standard one that they recommend, not knowing the exact specs of the drivers. Im thinking that I am going to see a hump in the response between 2500 and 4000hz, at least thats what my ear is telling me, along with the rough theoretical response graphs I could put together with the limited info on the drivers I have.

ascendant audio 6.5

I banged out a xover real quick so I could listen.
I used a visonic crossover board and sound easy.
wound up with a two element xover using a 1.5 mh coil on the woofer and a 22 mf cap on the tweeter. I figure the xover is about 1500
The tweeter i'm using is an oddball ceratec ceramic. It's kinda between a mid and tweeter. the inverted dome is 1 5/8 in. the voice coil is 1 1/8
this tweeter has a very low impedance bump at 300 hz, has ferrofluid.
The response is pretty even, no bumps. I will be trying out different tweeters, and cabinets with this driver.
bill horn

If you connect two in series the efficiency strays the same.
Sweet! I did not know that. My concern was more with the impedance of the speaker than more bass output. All I have to drive them is a denon avr-3300. I want to build a ucd amp that and about 3 or 4 other projects I need to complete. So many diy possibilities and so little money.:(

chAse,
Did you get the crossover components from AA or did you just buy your own based on their xo schematic? Just curious as to what kind of parts they provide with the kit.

I bought the components myself, Jantzen 18ga coils, solen caps, dayton resistors.
Supposedly the parts supplied by AA are similar in quality, or so I was told. They get them from parts express. I just wanted to get my own stuff to make sure of what I was getting.

I wanted to do the MTM thing. So that would get a 8ohm as 2ohm isn't a option for me...
I want to do the MTM thing too... ...2ohms isn't an option for me either.

I haven't notice if the tuning was vented or sealed... the enclosure size (for MTM) of 1.2 cu ft would work for me. Although XO'd to a sub, the F3 of 45 hz isn't critical for me. It is nice to know the performance is there!

chainenoble,
Your best bet is to call them. They are only open from 12-6pm M-F. So it is hard to get a hold of them sometimes.Which email address did you try? I would use the sales@ascendantaudio.com one you may get a faster response but calling them is the best way.
I have order from them in the past and never had any trouble except having to call a few times to get a hold of them.Which didn't bother me because I know they are small company. I think they only have 2 guys working there.

gp4jesus,
here is a link
go to the 2nd page of the post there are links to pictures of his.The guy's username is "theirishgonzo" just look at his posts. He ordered 7 MTM's in parts express 1.0 cu.ft. enclosures. And AA = Ascendant Audio.

"If you connect two in series the efficiency strays the same."

Actually it's the voltage sensitivity that stays the same.

Efficiency = acoustic power out/electrical power in is doubled.

For the same output, each speaker is using only 1/4 the power as a single driver, reducing distortion and power compression.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.