Waveguide TMM Posted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"In 20 years of building speakers, I've never come across a speaker design that works well with only one component on each driver."

Robin Marshall's Monitor Audio 852/MD woofers. Same for the 16 ohm 952/MD woofers.

These evolved into the Epos drivers. Both had near the best dang roll-off I've ever seen in my life. This, when measured with my at the time: 'Liberty Audio Suite'- I was one of the very first buyers of that package. I still see little advantage with upgrading, I use the package for gross measurements...I use my brain and ears for the rest, like any sane person.

Its usage today has gotten completely away from my usage and basically people seem to be using whenever they feel like it.

it's like that, isn't it.

I created DIY screen coatings, there's now a complete forum dedicated to it at AVSforum-I'm not welcome there.

I did 1080P upscaling first and took over 1.5 years of flack over it, as I tried to explain it to people- now look at it. It's everywhere.

I did projector modifications first, and took severe beatings over it for 2 years....now the entire CRT forum at AVSForum is dedicated to it.

Such is life. It takes on a life of it's own.

To quote Monty Python's 'Life of Brian':

"Follow the Gourd! No!!! Follow the Shoe!"

gedlee said:
I had not seen this thread before.

I am just now completing a very effective DIY speaker with a 10" woofer and a 10" waveguide. Perhaps I'll post some results to DIY.

I'd love to hear more about this. I really enjoyed the Summa, but it was hard to justify spending that much on a speaker. Even at the price you were selling it for, I can accept that it was a bargain, but I don't make enough $$$ to spend that much on a speaker.

When I heard about the AI gear, I was excited to see it come to market, but AFAIK it's not available.

To make a long story short, I'd be very much interested in something comparable, especially if the price tag was more approachable.

Patrick Bateman said:

I'd love to hear more about this. I really enjoyed the Summa, but it was hard to justify spending that much on a speaker. Even at the price you were selling it for, I can accept that it was a bargain, but I don't make enough $$$ to spend that much on a speaker.

When I heard about the AI gear, I was excited to see it come to market, but AFAIK it's not available.

To make a long story short, I'd be very much interested in something comparable, especially if the price tag was more approachable.

Just to work out the MIN. COST for a very good quality 2-way compression/horn and woofer package, I roughly estimate the cost to be:

The horn and compression drive combo without spending lots of money, about $130 per side and $260 for 2 channels, and 2*10" driver woofer from Eminence, about $160-$200. this package plus cabinet will I believe give you very good sound. This package is under $500 plus x.over plus cabinet. Just parts alone will cost you between $750-$800 and more if you want better x-over components and cabinet.

If you want something better in term of performance you have to pay more for them, Gedlee's waveguide is much better than the one mentioned above and also is the woofer.

ttan98 said:

Just to work out the MIN. COST for a very good quality 2-way compression/horn and woofer package, I roughly estimate the cost to be:

The horn and compression drive combo without spending lots of money, about $130 per side and $260 for 2 channels, and 2*10" driver woofer from Eminence, about $160-$200. this package plus cabinet will I believe give you very good sound. This package is under $500 plus x.over plus cabinet. Just parts alone will cost you between $750-$800 and more if you want better x-over components and cabinet.

If you want something better in term of performance you have to pay more for them, Gedlee's waveguide is much better than the one mentioned above and also is the woofer.

I spent about a month creating my Unity horn back in 2006, and there were some serious flaws in the implementation. I'm confident I could do something that's 80% as good as the Summa, but it would take me a minimum of a YEAR to get there LOL! And then I'd still be short of the goal.

So I have two options, either quit my day job and take up speaker building until they come and repo my house, or find a speaker I can afford :)

Optimizing a loudspeaker is serious business. I always LOL when I see newbies post that they want to make the "ultimate speaker" by buying the best drivers... but they don't know the first thing about measuring drivers, optimizing a crossover, balancing the tradeoffs in the design, etc...

Patrick Bateman said:

I spent about a month creating my Unity horn back in 2006, and there were some serious flaws in the implementation. I'm confident I could do something that's 80% as good as the Summa, but it would take me a minimum of a YEAR to get there LOL! And then I'd still be short of the goal.

So I have two options, either quit my day job and take up speaker building until they come and repo my house, or find a speaker I can afford :)

Optimizing a loudspeaker is serious business. I always LOL when I see newbies post that they want to make the "ultimate speaker" by buying the best drivers... but they don't know the first thing about measuring drivers, optimizing a crossover, balancing the tradeoffs in the design, etc...

Well said and appropriately put....the newbies don't know what are involved, the sweat comes after the purchase of components....

cheers.

Patrick Bateman said:
One thing I meant to mention - when I say that I spent a month on my Unity, it was almost full time work. I'm certain I poured at least 150hrs into that project!

A suggestion would be attend the next Hi-Fi show in Denver and talk to some of the designers there and they MAY give some ideas to solve your problem(s) still inherent with Unity.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.