Honestly... what is your quality?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You're the one who has been there.:bawling:
Hi Ken:
Nothing that You have to regret. For me it has been nothing more than just a time consuming experience:(

I guess the situation regarding internet sales in Europe does not differ so much from the one in US.

You are right about that high end sales rely on personal service but it is quite astonishing how easy 10k$ (and more) items are are sold across the world via ebay for example. Certainly that`s for people who know exactly what they want and don`t need any service but to me it appears that among music-lovers are many of those and this might be a reason why internet sales might work better.

I also can agree to what You said about the high end stores 25 years ago. To me it appears as well that there have been much more in former times. Maybe DIY-Audio(.com) has something to do with this:D

Stew:
As You run a business already surely it is much easier for You to begin another as You already know about all the additional things which have to be considered besides "just" to make the product.
I`m very curious to see about what kind of speaker (and how it looks) You`re going to offer and how You arrange the advertising on Your website:bigeyes:
Maybe You want to post here about the progress during the process? I mean nothing that has a spam smell as folks here seem to be somewhat sensitive but I think it would be very interesting for many here to see how (and if) a DIY-Audio hobby is growing into a internet business. Moreover maybe once in a while You want to hear some more opinions about particular things of what You`re doing or planning ;)
Whatever You do GOOD LUCK again in the real world!

I'll certainly let you know how things goes if they go at all! I would think it will take at least 6 months/1 year before I try to sell anything as I've got allot of testing/listening to do.

Also my brother is demanding I make him a pair of floorstanders :eek: .

Ill put up some pics of the speakers when their finished also when I get hold of a digi camera I'll post a pic of my first ever DIY speakers the ones I use at the moment.

Thanks all for the insight,

Cheers,

Stew.

First off, I thank god my father was not just a great dairy farmer, but also a great woodworker! We have milled cherry and maple right from our woods (portable sawmill), and my dipole panels would look like crap without his guidance.
Secondly, without reiterating too many good points brought up here: have you ever looked at the parts used in some "high end" loud speakers? Try not to laugh when you do. Commercial engineers have so many limitations that diy just does not. Price, looks, size, working in a wide variety of rooms... the majority of the cost goes into finishing and the dealers pocket(as already mentioned).
Also, let's not forget that what they are designing for is the sound that the market wants/affords, not necessarily reflective of what many people on this website would appreciate. My feeling is that competent DIY design will always sound better than any commercial product costing three times as much. I've thought about the business side of it and think if I did something it would prioritize custom cabinetry and CHARGE for it.
regards, Jason

I think the custom cabinets are a great way to do business, I made an active sub a while back to a guy I came across in a UK forum http://forum.hifichoice.co.uk to the specs he provided me, And he called it CIY, Choose It Yourself ;) He chose the components and I built it. See pic below

You have all that wood on your doorstep :bigeyes: Birdseye maple is a very beautiful wood,

It's a great passtime crafting speakers/furniture out of wood, the more you do it the better you get and enjoy,

Stew.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Has anyone pointed out that "better sound" is completely subjective? A patient DIYer can spend months tuning a set of speakers that they threw together for $200 (which to me, is pretty inexpensive) to sound better to them than a $10,000 set, because they can tune the $200 set to sound exactly how they want, for their intended use. Of course, if it's tuned for music, it may not sound good for home theater, or playing games, and at limited power levels, but if for THEIR USE, it sounds better, they've made a better speaker at a tiny fraction of the price.

IMO...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.