Honestly... what is your quality?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Many here seem to be right into the design of speakers - not just building pre-spec'ed designs. I am doing my first DIY project (which also happens to be from scratch completely)-- and even though mine is turning out to look (cant comment on sound until it can make one) home-made, Ive seen some DIY projects online which look pretty damn professional.

What are your skills as a speaker-designer comparable to? Hard to be 'unbiased', but if you were a manufacturer of loudspeakers for a living (which some of you may be), would your speakers compete well with commercial products?

Ive seen some DIY speakers online which, comparing frequency response measurements, should compete with with the likes of Von Schweikert, Vienna Acoustics, etc.

I find it quite unusual that in this branch of industry, a person working from home on weekends with tools designed for small-scale home use can produce products competing with companies who have invested lots into R&D, and use industry tools operated by skilled tradesmen.

GeniX said:
[
What are your skills as a speaker-designer comparable to? Hard to be 'unbiased', but if you were a manufacturer of loudspeakers for a living (which some of you may be), would your speakers compete well with commercial products?

[/COLOR]

Let's say I've built the speakers of my dreams and I think they are as good as anything out there on ther market. What are my chances of getting it tested against the best products which go in prices of $10,000 and up? Going to CES? Bying all of them and test? Get reviews?

Or believe my judgement?;) :confused:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Practice is the main advantage. Many poeple have been building things for throughout thier life. Aside from doing the DIY audio stuff I also do scale models and car stuff as well as other general building projects. Also when your building YOUR diy stuff, whether it be speakers or a pre-amp, it's yours, it's not $7.50 an hour, 30 hours a week. Some poeple are alot more meticulus than others.

Also planning can make a world of diference. If you design your joints to line up right and stuff to intersect well and then prep it correctly, it's not hard to make a nice looking project.

Ask most poeple and they will say that their first wasn't their best, but you gotta have a first.

Cliffs Notes: Its a hobby and/or a passsion, not a job.

Peter,

I see your point - comparison with other hi-fi brands is difficult at best. However, most people into audio have heard dozens of commercial speakers, and one slowly develops the ability to discern sound quality (I do believe this ability is learnt, and not a natural ability). Surely there must be DIY shows or shows with DIY sections? (Well, not in New Zealand that I know of, but there must be in the US).

Westrock2000,

I hope that patience and consideration alone are enough to make a good project! My one at the moment is showing the fact that I havent done this kind of woodwork before... although I still gotta sand the cabinet pieces. Hopefully I can smooth it off and still get a reasonably nice looking finish on it.

Speaker design from scratch - complete - relying only on your own tools and instruments to a very high level is generally beyond the skills and resources of the average DIY'er - However, the large bulk (?) of DIY speakers probably clone or modify the designs of others and have a tremendous amount reference available on the web - I for one think there are a tremendous amount of possiblities available where you have much of the R&D already done. I also believe that quite a few are completed at a comparable level better than is readily available at the retail level - particularly when you compare dollar for dollar and make no allowance for DIY labor

Also, you don't necessarily have to have _all_ of the skills that you need and might pay to have cabinets built or unfinished, etc.

Sometime after I started surfing the web on audio-related items, I came across a statement by Lynn Olson that said essentially "DIY is where it is happening in High Resolution audio." I believe he is correct.

The dealer/distribution and marketing system is such that the parts/materials is probably somewhere around 15% of the retail price - I will agree that sometimes the DIY is not finished off at the cosmetic level that is available to a manufacturer - however, many times it is - and the scales tip heavily in favor of the DIY'er when you add into the equation that the DIY'er is almost free of the many constraints placed on a manufacturer.

Ken L

:D

If I were to charge for my time as well as the parts for my speakers, it'd be well over $10 000, even at minimum wage. Why? Bbecause it takes me a hell of a long time, because I want it done right. I've been working on my last amps (two simultaneously) for a few months now, sure the chasis is done, and I'm still working on the psu (haven't even etched the audio circuit boards, so it'll be another few months before it's complete, but when it's done, it'll be nice. So imagine how much it would cost to buy this amp, a few hours every day for 6 months, that's alot of labor.

Companies need to cut costs to keep profits up, for them it's a business, for us it's an art...

The dealer/distribution and marketing system is such that the parts/materials is probably somewhere around 15% of the retail price - I will agree that sometimes the DIY is not finished off at the cosmetic level that is available to a manufacturer - however, many times it is - and the scales tip heavily in favor of the DIY'er when you add into the equation that the DIY'er is almost free of the many constraints placed on a manufacturer.
Ken:
Your number of 15% is pretty correct what concerns the speakers (audio electronics I don`t know) and around 50% (sometimes even more) of the retail price keeps the dealer. That`s is why going pro in building speakers is hardly to become successful and why DIY particular in speakers brings the most bang for the money.

IMHO the most important things in designing speaker from scratch in an professional manner are an electroacoustic measurement system and experience (unfortunately the latter is it what can not be bought or learnt in a short time).

I mean that is not so much compared to other fields as in electronics for instance (imagine You were to built an audio amplifier and want to sell it - You would need a huge lot of very expensive electronic test gear and tools to manufacture and to finally test it like the real pros).
About the experience, thanks to internet and for instance this great forum You have at hand the most concentrated amount of experience You can imagine in how to make speakers professionally (for all issues from xovers to special woodworking questions).
What concerns the speaker measurement system as the time has changed with the PC-era, You can get pro like performance for around off $750-$1000 which would have required 20 times the amount 15 years ago to do something similar. So the investment for the tools for building a pro like enclosure probably exceed the electronic instrumentation but if You know a carpenter or a friend`s friend who know one.......if You know what I mean.......You even don`t need tools and the craftsmen experience but still You can save a lot of money although You may have to pay for the man hours.

Everybody is cooking with water only (as we say here) and that is why I think it is not in question that the speakers could compete well. IMHO of course they could (and BTW: if You do it pro they HAVE to as well). The question rather were wether or not the speakers could be sold with reasonable profit to make ones living and this would be the hardest part of it.

I find it quite unusual that in this branch of industry, a person working from home on weekends with tools designed for small-scale home use can produce products competing with companies who have invested lots into R&D, and use industry tools operated by skilled tradesmen.
GeniX:
As a big part of speaker technology is in the drivers already which can be bought from everybody just like most of the speaker manufactorers do also, after all I would say under the best circumstances (skilled and willing :) carpenter friend) one need just to invest around $500 min. for the test system and the door is open to potentially (experience respectively some good ideas preassumed) compete with almost any commercial product regardless of the price.

The BIG thing !!!!!

is that the DIYer does not have to make commercial construction compromises or bother with advertising, distribution etc etc etc etc etc

Look at the commercial price of "no-compromise" commercial loudspeakers !!! ouch !!!

With the right equipment there is no reason why a good DIYer cannot surpass any commercial design at even 4-5 times the component price: its the nature of commerce.

This thread really interests me,

I already run my own business (construction) and have always had a strong desire to make speakers to sell in my spare time.

I have 2 designs 1 of which I have built and another on the drawing board which are pretty unique and easy/quick to build, I also have a machine shop to my disposal so once I have all the templates made it should greatly increase the build time. Also I have a friend who sells excellent high quality hard woods kiln dried for very cheap which I use. Im fanatical about finish quality and have an eye for aesthetics,

Im probably dreaming :spin: but I don't think I could loose anything by giving it a bash, Although I need to get my designs so im 100% happy before I try to sell, possibly next year.

So I'd be grateful if any of you could drag me back down to earth with a bang and tell me no, don't do it it'll never work :headbash: for 101 reasons Im not thinking off/cant see, It's better to know all the hidden hardships so they don't jump out at you by surprise.

Anyway back to the realworld,

Stew.

back to the realworld

So I'd be grateful if any of you could drag me back down to earth with a bang and tell me no, don't do it it'll never work for 101 reasons Im not thinking off/cant see, It's better to know all the hidden hardships so they don't jump out at you by surprise.
Stew:
I really don`t want to discourage You too much and I won`t say it never will work but from my own experience I would say it is very hard to make reasonable profit in building and selling speakers.
First consider the prices. As a newcomer You have to be satiesfied with about 50% (+tax) of the retail price, if at all (at least here in Germany it works that way). For the remaining money You have to buy all the parts and materials and You have to design and build them. Besides this don`t forget You have to pay taxes as well.
There are much more things You have to think of - have You ever thought about packing Your speakers, just for instance - do You ever gone through the hassle to make a pro packing for a product? Of course You can buy a custom made one, but.....that`s economical only if You buy huge quantities.....
If You make it Yourself You`ll find out that this is a lot of work.
Regarding economical, the same applies to the parts and materials You need. You have to buy them in big quantities to get economical prices (because Your competitors do it the same and they calculate everything until the last srew) . Probably You`ll end up with a big stock of parts and materials (drivers, xover-parts, cables, terminals, screws, wood, veneer, damping materials, laquer etc. etc...) which costs lots of money. And...You`ll need some space to stock all this stuff... and a certain amount of ready made speakers as well.
What if You want to change or if You have to change Your design (because for example the drivers You bought are somewhat out of fashion meanwhile)....what do You do with Your stock drivers and with Your stock of already finished speakers?
As we are talking about fashion: yes, selling audio products depends about fashion too. The momentary state of the current fashion is directed by the audio magazines - You don`t have any influence about this and the customers are going to buy what is recommended by the mags. Almost nobody want to buy something from a no-name brand company even though it may be the better product.
Furthermore You have to deal with a bunch of technically misinformed, closed minded, biased and often arrogant dealers. That´s no fun!
If You still intend to go pro in selling speakers I would recommend first to think good about the design (You don`t want to make the 115th version of an already existing design but also not something tooo freaky which very likely nobody wants - it`s a thin line) and second to make a small series (let`s say 10 pairs). Try to sell them to friends and relatives and friends friends.
During the building process of ten pairs You`ll find out how much time You need for making a pair with more experience (use a watch for every single process You make until the speakers are ready packed). Then make an ecaxtly calculation (don`t even forget the srews and the wood glue - everything costs money and You`ll be surprised how much all the tiny things costs, You normally don`t waste a thought as DIYer). Now calculate Your profit per hour after all Your expenses (taxes) are paid on base of what You can achieve when selling to a dealer.
I doubt that it will much exceed $10 per hour:D:(
Though if You want to give it a try - GOOD LUCK (and please don`t forget to tell us how it worked out - in either case)!

musings

Generally, my guess is that it is one way to ruin a perfectly good hobby ;)

I think Cocolino makes a number of viable points - To some extent a determining factor might be how busy you are in your "day" job - If you're busy all the time or if there are slow spells in which you and/or the shop might be idle and you could increase revenue without increasing your indirect overhead.

One additional thought - while I do not have any idea of the viability of market depth, perhaps others might - What about developing a kit to be sold over the Internet?? I think that possibly a well cut flats pack and well designed crossover sold over the internet, while allowing the end user to purchase drivers locally might reduce freight and somewhat overcome tariffs problems at the same time as addressing the fact that frequently these things are the most difficult for the diy'er to resolve - this also would reduce the capital, etc. required for start up.

One potential negative that I see with that scenario is you would have to be very sure that you make your price points accurate because I would expect the DIY market to be quite price sensitive.

No predictions here. Only musings:D

Ken L:D

Advertising, Advertising, Advertising!!! Just check on the prices of ads with the major mags and you may change your mind. And without ads your product will not get any press. Do not count on reviews as they are hard to get and fickle. A few companies use the Internet as their main or only source and may survive as a minor player, which may be OK. OHM Loudspeakers and Musical Design come to mind.

Well, from the responses it would seem that the better DIY jobs are on a par with commercial products. This is good :)

My reason for asking was not that I intend to build & sell speakers, but simply whether (with practice) I should expect to make speakers on a par with the hi-fi stuff available in stores.

The difference? Well both ways I can make speakers for enjoyment, but if I can hope to make quality products (both in terms of sound & finish) then I may well find that in a years time Im not only making a pair of speakers for fun, but also making a pair to replace the speakers I have *bought* for my hi-fi setup that I do most of my listening on.

internet sales

Generally, my guess is that it is one way to ruin a perfectly good hobby
Yes this is certainly true!!
Advertising, Advertising, Advertising!!!
As newcomer advertising will not help You much because Your customers are the dealers and the best advertising is to visit and to present them a good product with attractive profit for them (the profit is what convince them most - Your product and its quality comes after this).
Maybe after a while when You have some dealers yet, advertising may additionally help to expand Your business.

KenL:
I fear selling speaker kits of the kind You mentioned over the internet won`t work well also. In this case You have to compete with the kit sellers which have CNC machines to produce the cuts much cheaper. Besides this the customer who want to have pro looking speakers is still on his own with the finish.
This adresses neither the folks who don`t want or can`t go into difficultiues to lay on hand themselfes nor the real DIYers which, I guess will make their speakers completly by their own anyway.
The few left inbetween this groups, which do not have the money to buy something ready nor cannot make an enclosure probably won`t buy a kit with just the cuts.
I think somebody who wants something good but has to spare about the money and is able to assemble and finish an enclosure kit, also is able to order the cuts in a wood-center (I don`t know the suitable word in English but You probably know what i mean) how to by himself and so is no need to buy such a kit. What concerns the design itself, there are tons of good and ready schematics avaible over the internet (some even with detailled instructions of how to build and tweak and where to get the parts cheapest).

IMHO if at all, maybe the best way to go (at least that is the way I`d go if I`d try it again) would be to offer a complete kit including a very high quality ready made enclosure and to offer it directly to the end customer via internet without hassling around with dealers and magazine reviews. All a customer would need to assemble is a srewdriver and maybe a soldering iron.
The high shipping costs are more than compensated (respectively in case Your dealer is far away You have to ship them anyway) as the dealers profit is omitted and still there is something left to price the product in a manner that the customer has a real financial benefit to dealers prices and respectively the manufactorer can achieve somewhat more reasonable prices as this is usually the case.
In most cases anyway IMHO dealers don´t offer much help and real advice for their customers to make a good decision in peace and with certainity of what to buy because they don`t have so much choice and the listening rooms often are horrible and/or there are other restrictions which do not allow a proper choice (unqualified and /or heavily biased sellers, no fair comparisons possible etc.). So why not just forget them?

Of course that would only work in a particular price range. I guess nobody spends $10000 by buying speakers over the internet. On the other hand You probably can`t compete with high volume sellers in the $500 category but maybe from $1000-$3000 it might work. Or maybe now it`s me who is dreaming:D
Ok, as there is no reference this will take some time until it run and one have a good reputation but the internet gives You the chance to present Your product in a pro manner as detailled and in any extend You want without the enormous cost for advertising (and where You only can excel with a clever designed marketing slogan instead of meaningful facts).
At the beginning You could offer a money-back guarantee if not satiesfied (maybe less a part of the shipping).
If Your product is really good and worth the money the "snowball" effect from satiesfied customers (this should not be underestimated as the internet works even better in this regard than in "ordinary" live) might help to be successful finally. Who knows?

You're the one who has the best outlook

You're the one who has been there.:bawling:

:D As the business model continues changing in North America due to the effect of the internet, I continue to marvel at the changes.

I've not been to Europe in 12 to 15 years and have no idea what practical changes are filtering in there

As large ticket items such as cars and other traditional high markup items are sold more and more over the internet and varous dealer systems seem to be withering on the vine, I cannot think but that the days of the dealer system are numbered, due to the inefficiences of the system - In other words, the dealer system by adding additional costs, is not the most effective means of marketing - However, high end sales rely on personal service to close the sale.

While I haven't researched the situation to speak with certainty, at a quick glance it seems that few if any are making a lot of money in this industry. Extremely high prices for some equipment does not in fact mean that they are making a substantial profit - Again, only at a glance, but it seems to me like there were more high end stores 25 years ago than there are today.

:D

Ken L

Thanks for all your views very interesting!

What I was thinking was just making them for fun/hobby in my spare time at first, (I've finished my own DIY speakers and crave a new project)

I have gathered allot of thoughts over the years about acoustics and sound how I like it to be presented so this is evident in my design, also aesthetics are not typical on my designs it's the artist in me. Most people want something with a finish that does not look out of place (wife friendly!) but is unique and stylish

I was thinking to sell in low volumes no more than say 3 pairs per month (I would make them in batches of three at first)

I will create a website that does the product justice and lays it on thick about the sonic virtues of the speakers. with a little help from a few IT friends and promote it in the right places. This will cut out any dealers, and keep the profit margin up as high as possible without any compromises to quality.

Also I will offer a 30 day money back (excluding postage) deal if the customer is not satisfied so it's less of a gamble for the customer. Also possibly send out a demo pair at first to a few people I know in various positions in hi-fi to get feedback and hopefully start spreading the word.

Retail price will be between £1500 and £2000 materials would soak up around £800-1000. Also a cheap version (cheaper drive units) retailing for £700 - £1000

If you can get a design that works and is soughtafter and if you can sell it for good money, then you have to focus on ways of increasing production speed thus maximising the income, but not expanding beyond your means (very important).

I already run my own house building company and what I have found out over the past few years if you find a design of house that's soughtafter, you know you can build easily without problems and quickly for good profit, typically the more complex the job the less profitable the outcome but you must always retain quality and especially style so the reputation does all the selling for you. It's a mammoth struggle starting a business from scratch as you have to find the first people that are willing to take a gamble on you and your service that's why something like 50% of new business fail within their first year. And the golden rule don't gamble more than you can afford to loose ;)

Back to the real world :D

Stew.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.