TB W3-871 vs Hi-Vi B3S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
morbo said:
Thats great John, this testing is much appreciated! Out of curiosity, bass extension aside, how did you like these drivers subjectively from 200hz up? And did you listen enough to the Hivi and Aura drivers to get an idea of their off axis extension? This was one of the strong points of the 871 IIRC.

Upon initial listening with the test tracks, it was quickly obvious which ones were the winners in the group. Heck, it was even obvious by listening to each driver's MLS impulse.

In regards to off axis response, I only tested and compared two drivers, the TB W3-871 and the Hi-Vi B3S since they were representative of their types. Soft/hard cone, concave/curvilinear profile, phase plug/no phase plug. Normally soft cones have slightly more extended off axis response, and it's true in this case. But also, soft cones generally have higher linear distortion, which is also true in this case. (compare the CSDs) Take your pick. With the 871, due to it's response shape, this is probably a driver that sounds better off axis than on axis. With the B3S however, you'll want to toe them in a bit.

coolkhoa said:
BTW does any one have box recommendations for the Aura NS3-193? Solen recommends a 3L box with 1.5"x4" port but I would like a closed box for small speakers (or perhaps OB).

I don't recommend vented boxes for any of these drivers. They can't be tuned low enough. and there will always be substantial music power below tuning, putting their lives in danger. And with their high Qts, group delay will sound particularly fat and sloppy.

You can pop my T/S numbers into a modeling program to get an idea of box size, but the box will always be a tradeoff between boominess and size. Many of us shoot for a Qtc of .7, but many of these drivers have a Qts higher than that to start with, making .7 impossible.

With the NS3-193, I think I'd chose sealed 2.5-3 liter. (about .10 cu ft) That would result in a Qtc of around .82, only a minor increase in midbass peaking and a F3 of around 90hz.

Regards,
John

Comparison of 10 wide range minispeakers

Thought you guys might find this interesting. Here's a Hi-Vi B3S cone and voice coil assembly. It was damaged in shipping so I didn't feel bad about cutting it open to see what's inside.

The spider is as big as the cone. The cone is attached to the voice coil former with an aluminum reinforcement assembly. The internal outer edge of of the cone is coated with a sticky damping material. The voice coil is 3/8" (10mm) long.

Attachments

• b3s-coil-cone.jpg
    b3s-coil-cone.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,047
By comparison, the Aura NS3-193 spider is actually larger than the cone. It's about as big as the outside of the surround. The aura has no center reinforcement assembly but has another interesting construction technique I've only seen on Seas Excel and L series cones - There is a roundover on the internal edge of the cone to increase edge rigidity. The Hi-Vi and other cheap metal cone drivers such as MCM, and Dayton aluminum cones (including the RS series) do not have this feature.

Attachments

• ns3-193-side2.jpg
    ns3-193-side2.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,003
This post is three years old. The web site linked is gone. The email address has been shut down. If I had the ability to edit and/or delete my original post, I would. This forum is one that helped me learn my lesson - never ever post an email address (or anything else that could come back to haunt you) to a forum where edits or deletes are not allowed.

People seem to like the ability to dredge up ancient posts that are outdated and obsolete, but to me it's an annoyance.

Of course, me pointing out what I think is annoying is in turn annoying to others. :D

A2S driver on sale at PE, anybody tested these?

How is it obsolete? The A2S is currently on sale for only $5.80 at Parts Express:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=297-426

I searched for someone who had evaluated this driver and found your post talking about testing them. I thought: wow, great, Zaph does a very nice job testing drivers, I wonder why I didn't see it last time I looked through his small driver roundup? I looked again to make sure I wasn't being lazy, didn't see it, then, of course, I figured it didn't hurt to ask, the test results probably still exist somewhere, I just can't find them myself...

Should people not use the forum search before posting questions, for fear of finding results that weren't posted last week?

DcibeL: Thank you!

Looking here: http://www.zaphaudio.com/tidbits/HIVI-A2S-FR.gif

I see a FR that looks different (and worse, IMHO) than the one in the .PDF on the PE website...

I'm somewhat looking for drivers to use with the 5" hemispherical bowls that IKEA sells... I want to make some spherical speakers of one sort or another, and thought I might start small and make something for the wife's PC.

EDIT: My post was successful :D , somebody answered and told me where to find the information; in the future, I'll try to remember to check the tidbits section...

Re: A2S driver on sale at PE, anybody tested these?

critofur said:
How is it obsolete? The A2S is currently on sale for only $5.80 at Parts Express

Should people not use the forum search before posting questions, for fear of finding results that weren't posted last week?

The A2S is not obsolete. My original post is obsolete because:
  • The web page originally linked to does not exist.
  • I am no longer requesting that people email me.
  • I no longer make public requests for test samples.
  • It's from late 2004. Data loses value as it gets older.

When something like this is brought up to the top, people could be confused about it, thinking it's current. The ability to search ancient history is great. But if I had my way, I'd set the board up to not allow posts to threads more than a year old.

I don't have my way however, and I certainly don't set the rules here. You're free to do whatever you want that is allowed here. I'm free to complain about it.

This board's policies have changed the way I do things here over the years. First, I never attach files or images. I link them off my web site so that I have control to pull them when I want to. I no longer start new threads here. That way, when someone dredges up a 4 year old post, on the main page it doesn't look like I just made a new post today. It goes without saying that I no longer post my email address here, or anywhere. And finally, I seriously limit the information I post here if there's any way at all that it may become obsolete. Useful info from me that's current is normally posted at other forums that I frequent.

Re: Re: A2S driver on sale at PE, anybody tested these?

Zaph said:
One time, in order limit the number of stupid questions emailed to me, I made my email address the answer to a very difficult quadratic equation. The email was a number @ yahoo.com.

You still check that email? Can I have the equation? :Popworm:

The worm is too fast on my computer.

The worm does not show up, that's a shame. Let's see if sad smiley shows up :(

Oops, false alarm, it was opera web browser that was to blame. The past 5 sentences have been completely pointless, maybe even 7 :apathic:

Oops again, I mean Mozilla was the browser to blame. I'm not :crazy:

Also mozilla makes the worm fast, lol. Okay, okay, I'm leaving :D

Send me the equation zaphy baby, I need help with my woofs, love ya :hug:

Re: Moist?

Tosh said:

It >sounds< interesting too: I wonder what is meant by "Moisturised cone."

I imagine moisturised means it's impregnated with some oil type liquid which won't evaporate and the result would be to lower the Q of the paper, perhaps resulting in something in between a paper and a plastic cone?

You know, how a dry leaf makes a crackly sound...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.