TB W3-871 vs Hi-Vi B3S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
TB W3-871 vs Hi-Vi B3S

Hi all,

I recently have been thinking about a project that required a very small, wide range driver to be used as the 2nd driver in a 3-way. Of course the first thing that popped into my mind was the W3-871, but vendor issues required that I look elsewhere.

So, I grabbed a pair of Hi-Vi B3S and just for good measure to satisfy my curiosity, I grabbed a couple A2S also. I will be comparing these to a pair of W3-871's I have on hand, and also a TB W2-880S that I have. I'll be doing a full suite of tests, including frequency response, T/S parameters, all forms of distortion and power handling.

If anyone has any 3" drivers they would like included in this test and comparison, I will offer to do this, and send them back to you after the test is done. I'm particularly interested in a Fostex FF85K and/or an Aura NS3 if anyone has got one of these they would like tested. I'm also open to other drivers as long as they are no larger than 3" nominal. (roughly 4" O.D.) Email me at threepoint14159265358979323846@yahoo.com. USA folks only, please.

I don't normally test drivers for people, so this is a temporary departure from policy. Results will be posted when the tests are done.

John

Wow, this is great. I am interested in the Auras also. What about the new Aura 4" - I know it is bit out of range, but should be interesting none-the-less. I live overseas, so can't contribute any speakers, but look forward to the results. Thanks for effort.

bhg41088 said:
I also think a test of the CSS wr125s would be nice. I can donate a pair for testing if you send them back to me.

That's a little too big to be included in a comparison of 3" drivers, But it's certainly unique enough that I wouldn't mind testing it. I notice CSS already has pretty good test results here. About all I could offer is comparison to similar size drivers I have in the house at the moment: Seas L12, GR M130, Vifa TC14 and a few lesser drivers. The Seas L12 is probably it's closest competiton, and is probably the best 4.5" driver I've ever heard when used within it's bandwidth limitations.

BTW, when I mention "vendor issues", it's the fact that two emails to CSS have been ignored, one of which was a request for stock levels and shipping quote for (14) 871's. Considering how many 871's my project pages help sell with a link directly to CSS, you'd think I'd get a little more attention than that.

John

So far the comparison remains with these drivers.

Hi-Vi B3S
Hi-Vi A2S
TB W3-871
TB W2-880S

We're nearing the deadline to get other speakers included in this comparison. Maybe the interest level isn't as high as I thought. I posted over on the Parts Express forum and got no replies. In any case, the test will go on with these 4 drivers.

Still looking for someone who has a Fostex FF85K or Aura NS3 that they want tested. Fostex FE83 or 87 are accepted also, though I had a pair of 87's in the past and performance was not good.

Anyway, let's just say that those who want to send in drivers for testing will need to get them in the mail by the end of this week. That will allow testing next weekend.

Email me for info - threepoint14159265358979323846@yahoo.com

Alittle of subject but has anyone used the VIFA M10MD39 4" mid? Long time ago I used some in my car stereo system. They were mounted in the dash with VIFA neo. 1" tweeter mounted near by and perless 5.25" woofers in the door.

They sounded excellent to me. And have a very smooth wide responce.
VIFA also has a fiberglass cone 4" mid with a responce of 100 - 15,000.

Zaph said:
So far the comparison remains with these drivers.

Hi-Vi B3S
Hi-Vi A2S
TB W3-871
TB W2-880S

We're nearing the deadline to get other speakers included in this comparison. Maybe the interest level isn't as high as I thought. I posted over on the Parts Express forum and got no replies. In any case, the test will go on with these 4 drivers.

Still looking for someone who has a Fostex FF85K or Aura NS3 that they want tested. Fostex FE83 or 87 are accepted also, though I had a pair of 87's in the past and performance was not good.

Anyway, let's just say that those who want to send in drivers for testing will need to get them in the mail by the end of this week. That will allow testing next weekend.

Email me for info - threepoint14159265358979323846@yahoo.com

I have a pair of Aura NS3s on order, but (1) probably wont receive them before the test, and (2) don't think you would appreciate shipping them overseas ;)

Still, hope someone can get them to you, I am interested to see how they compare.

sbolin said:

I have a pair of Aura NS3s on order, but (1) probably wont receive them before the test, and (2) don't think you would appreciate shipping them overseas ;)

Still, hope someone can get them to you, I am interested to see how they compare.

I just bought a pair. I've been curious about those ever since they came out, and I really wanted them included in this comparison.

My wife is going to kick my ***, I already have about 40 pairs of unused speakers laying around. :eek:

Zaph said:

I just bought a pair. I've been curious about those ever since they came out, and I really wanted them included in this comparison.

My wife is going to kick my ***, I already have about 40 pairs of unused speakers laying around. :eek:

Glad to hear they will be included. I bought them purely to satisfy my curiousity too. Heck, at less than $20 bucks, they are almost an impulse buy. The 4" are interesting too, but a bit more than an impulse buy, so I'll wait on them for the time being. Regarding your 40 unused pairs... isn't that what eBay was invented for? :)

This list of drivers being compared has expanded to this:

TB W3-871
TB W2-880S
Aurasound NSW1-205-8A
Aurasound NSW2-326-8A
Aurasound NS3-193-8A
Aurasound NS3-194-8E (New model)
Fostex FE83
Hi-Vi B3S
Hi-Vi A2S
MCM 54-606
MCM 54-609

Thanks for all the help from the folks sending drivers. I might hit some other forums for help in getting a Fostex FF85K included. The Aurasound NS3-194 just came out 2 days ago. Looks interesting - cheap and high efficiency too.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Just letting you guys know I haven't forgotten about this. I've got all of my infinite baffle inserts cut, and I'm about half way through the drivers.

The Fostex has not been included in the test because the guy who was going to send one never did. I tested an FE87 previously however, and it was not that good, so I can't imagine the FE83 being any better anyway.

So far the good ol' TB 871 is holding up rather well, but I'll withhold judgement until testing is done.

ERICSPEEd said:
Do you think the Hi-Hi B3N will preform as the B3S did? Some of the T/S specs are ever so slightly different.

I think they are the same driver with a different frame. The response curve looks the same I think. In fact I think the response curve IS the same. For the T/S parameters, they probably tested both and there was a small difference due to manufacturing variance.

John

Thats great John, this testing is much appreciated! Out of curiosity, bass extension aside, how did you like these drivers subjectively from 200hz up? And did you listen enough to the Hivi and Aura drivers to get an idea of their off axis extension? This was one of the strong points of the 871 IIRC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.