B200 Kef Drivers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2002, 09:46 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default B200 Kef Drivers

Hey there.
I have bought a couple of old KEF drivers. They are of the B200 range (the SP 1054). http://www.t-linespeakers.org/drivers/b200.html I wanted to build a pair of TL but have been informed that it's Q is too low. Does anyone perhaps have some plans for speakers containing these drivers? Or any recommendations. They seem like some nice drivers but I dont know what enclosure to use with them. Does anyone have any documentation on the SP 1044? or any other range of these speakers? I have been searching for ages.
Thanx
Neopsp
Old 9th June 2002, 09:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Don't know if I still have them, but I had some project sheets from KEF, might be something with a B200 in them. I do have a project from ETI (from the Electronics Digets Volume 6 No3 winter 85/86), an active two-way by Barry Porter using a B200G. This is a closed box, closed with EQ or BR. Just had that in my hand today.
Old 9th June 2002, 10:55 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Havoc
I had some project sheets from KEF, might be something with a B200
I have the whole set of those, but this particular B200 was never sold by itself and is only available as a pull from a set of KEF Calindas so a pre-done project is not likely to be found.

Purpose-built to be used with a B139 PR, you would be well to plug the T/S into a box design program and come up with a suitable vented box (vent substituting for the PR).

The B200 SP1022 which looks the same, with the big magnet, is the B200 that is ideal for a TL. Fried used these in his Model H.

dave
Old 10th June 2002, 03:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default I do have a project from ETI...

Do you think that it will be possible to get a copy the plans for the active 2 way? I was wanting to build a TL but the next best thing for me was the closed box.
Could anyone tell me what happens when the Q of the driver is too low in a TL?
Thanks for the help
Neopsp
Old 10th June 2002, 03:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

What drivers would you guys recomend from KEF ranges (bout the same age as the B200).
You see there is this audiophile hifi place near me that has got old replacement stock from the KEF ranges. The guy is wanting to get rid of it, and is selling it for quite cheap. Does anyone know the SP 1193?
Thanks
Neopsp
Old 10th June 2002, 04:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Other KEF Drivers

The KEF B139's are a great driver. I think that they had one of the most powerful motors (BL Product) of any speaker built at that time. Wireless World carried a number of designs with them, so did Audio Amateur in the 1970's. I picked up a pair of new ones about a year ago. One great thing about these speakers is that the kids (real young'uns) didn't have a dome to push in.

I personally liked the KEF B110 midrange, but they became difficult to get so I switched to Audax (and more recently Peerless).

The T27 Tweeter -- some folks swear by it, not me.

There is an ongoing discussion which parallels this somewhat on www.groups.yahoo.com -- search under LS3/5a -- the Roger-o-philiacs.
Old 10th June 2002, 07:37 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Neopsp, do you need just the enclosure or the whole thing? Everything is about 15 pages, the enclosure 2-3 pages.
Old 11th June 2002, 11:26 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Havoc. I would like to have the whole aricle but if it is only possible to get the enclosures I will be more than greatfull.
Thanks
Neopsp
Old 11th June 2002, 11:28 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default B1044

I have found some old plans of a large dual line TL with 2 SP 1044's. I dont know whether it is any good. Has anyone had some experience with these or seen some data sheets?
Thanx
Neopsp
Old 11th June 2002, 05:59 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: B1044

Quote:
Originally posted by Neopsp
I have found some old plans of a large dual line TL with 2 SP 1044's. I dont know whether it is any good. Has anyone had some experience with these or seen some data sheets?
What is the rest of the driver designation. The SP number is a designation for a specific version of a bass driver (ie B200 SP1039). SP1044 is a designation for the standard B139. The large dual line you are talking about sounds like the Coffin.

dave

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!