Tweeter faceplate as part of the cabinet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At this point this is only a mental (stretching?) exercise.
What if I removed the faceplate from my tweeter and mounted the tweeter from inside the speaker cabinet?
For this execise the tweeter is not specified and assumes the diaphragm is not mounted on the faceplate.
1. I could duplicate the profile of the original faceplate. I think the benefit of this would be appearance. I imagine a select or figured wood that I would like to see more of.
2. I could alter the profile. I would like discussion or direction to sources that will help me understand "horn loading" and difraction as they would relate to the changes in tweeter response.
I will consider these things for incorporation into another set of home-built speakers.

Yee Ha!

If you have the woodworking skills for such a job, why not simply use a compression driver tweeter? You can mill the horn into the front using a CNC router of some kind, or sand down concentric rings to get the shape... It'll make the tweeter better time-aligned to the mid/woofer too.. :)

Somebody here replaced the front plates of his Vifa XT25 with hand-carved wooden plates... I can't remember who it was.

Yea that was me, however it took some tweaking on the faceplate to make them as transparent as the original. I had no idea that the tweeter faceplate could change the sound so easily by being just a little different.

Attachments

• weeter.jpg
    weeter.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 480
Rocky, Thanks for the reference to The Single Driver Website, I'll spend some time with it this weekend. Woodworking skill? I have a shop and am handy with wood turning. A stack laminated horn behind the cabinet face could be considered. It could be finish-turned, mounted inside the cabinet and then the cabinet face opened up and profiled with a router or other shaping method. I like the concern for time alignment. Sweet.

kingdaddy, Yours is the "faceplate" I found when doing a search prior to my post. The change in sound you refer to is one of the things concerning me, one of my motives for research of this. Read, plan then do.

My "bulls eye" at this time is to cover all of the tweeter except the diaphragm, allowing the profile of the opening to do the same job as a "normal" faceplate. Until now I hadn't considered a compression driver. The list grows and

The saga continues

The only real problem I ran into was a directivity issue, if your not careful with the depth and angle of the throat opening you will cause the tweeter to beam unnaturally. I had to shave off a mm at a time, then compare it to the stock tweeter to get good results. I did however do something that was a complete guess, by extending the ring's of the tweeter's radiator surface onto the faceplate, you can tell by looking closely at the picture that there is a slight trough near the middle of the faceplate that mimics the rings in the cone, a fixed extension if you will. I don't know if this has any effect or not, I could not verify it, however, I found it interesting that Sonus Faber did something very similar to the SS Tweeter on there new Stradivari speakers.

Well I tried to attach a good picture but this site must be having problems, keeps saying that the file sixze is too big, and it's only 270K, oh well.

I use a built in utility in Thumbs Plus (picture viewing program), it has a dialog for resizing a picture, you can input the Pixel width or height and it will auto resize to that parameter. It's only 300Pix's wide and its at 130K, so it must be a very hi rez with high color and contrast to be that big. Anyway I'm trying to post a picture of the Sonus Faber Stradivari tweeter, it has a similar ring in the faceplate as mine.

Here is the site I got the pic from.
http://www.cinenow.com/us/reportage.php/sid,781/

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.