Fostex F120A vs FX120 or Alternatives

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI All
I am planing to build a Projekt with a widerange Unit plus Bass. I dont want to use bigger Chassies because of dispersion. I tried the FE108 Sigma and the FE127 but there is still a bit of "paper Sound" and distorsion which I dont like. Does anybody has listening Experience whith the F120A or FX120 ( they are on my "worth a try" List ) or has anybody other Favorits for this use.

Bernhard

i have been investigating such a combination for a while. the reasons are:

1. I believe every exrta component detract something
2. keep design very simple using only 1st order XO

my design calls for a 7-8" woofer capable of delivering 95db at 2m with a 8-10W amp mated to a wide range unit from 300Hz up capable of the same (95db at 2m with 8-10W).

the amps in intend to use are solid state for bass and tube (el84) for widerange. the Xo will 1st order PLL-XO (passive line level).

actually the jx92 i hear needs a super tweeter so i would suggest the jx53.

from the fostex range i would suggest a FF85k.

the jordan jx53 costs about $120 the FF85K cost about $30.

each of these can then be XOed over to a 7-8" woofer. in the case of jordan the JX125 or JX150. in the case of fostex though I am a bit stumped.

I have looked at the FW208N as one alternate but it costs $160 and it has a very low Qts (0.2) which makes it unsuitable for TL or ML-TL. I am hence stuck looking for a good 7-8" woofer that can work in a 20-22liter box and produce 45hz (-3db). While I have an approximate budget of $70 for the woofer I can strech it if the "right" woofer is found.

my goal is for a TL bass and a open baffle fullrange. also i am hoping my design is flexible enough to incorporate a second fullrange in a vertical array with the 1st if more SPL is required. I know this will lead to comb filtering but this can me compensated by tilting the box a bit backwards.

Dr. ODD said:
HI All
I am planing to build a Projekt with a widerange Unit plus Bass. I dont want to use bigger Chassies because of dispersion. I tried the FE108 Sigma and the FE127 but there is still a bit of "paper Sound" and distorsion which I dont like. Does anybody has listening Experience whith the F120A or FX120 ( they are on my "worth a try" List ) or has anybody other Favorits for this use.

Bernhard

Before you throw away the Fostex speakers, try painting them with some varnish.

Not that I have listened to those...
but what about the Visaton B200?
Quite a recommended chassis and at the moment Visaton is planning "tours in germany" where you can borrow the "Solo50" for a while to have a listen to them at home.

As I´m still heavily playing with my Tangbands and am a bit short of time I still haven´t finished my ML-TL with the Gradient W160AL8.
That driver only costs 24€ was featured in HobbyHifi and Klang+Ton and at least one forum member build a speaker with it which he really likes.

http://www.spectrumaudio.de/
I wouldn´t buy it there but you can have a look at quite a few fullrangers including the Gradient.

I have a littel fear about the directivity of the big 20 cm chassies like the Visaton B200.
From what I´ve read on for example the Visaton-forum that is indeed a problem but isn´t that a drawback with fullrangers in general?
If even a little and excellent chassis like the Fostex FF85K only gives you a relatively tight sweet spot I don´t think you should look any "bigger".
I certainly wouldn´t wanna use my TBW3-871S drivers in my main system sitting in different positions. Handstands can also cause problems BTW.:D

besides if you OB the fullrange the spaciousness of the sound should increase.

That´s what I experience with the FF85K when changing from TQWT to OB. The sweet spot doesn´t become really wider, but it "hurts less" when you leave it. And the soundstage gives some more impression of depth.
But you pay a price! The pinpoint localisation of instruments like cymbals, drumsticks and triangles, which distinguishes the FF85K in a "box", gets somehow smeared with the OB - at least in my room.
So I am still not sure, what configuration I like best. Keeps this hobby exciting for me!

Rudolf

hi Bernhard

I listen to 80% baroque,17% classical and 3% classical rock
i bi amp the subs, XO is 100 HZ with a PLLXO and its FAB.
the Jordan is not cut off on the bottom. if you dont mind a larger speaker try a suravox bi cone signature. they are splendid :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.