You may not hear "diffraction" but can you see "diffraction"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey folks. For Canadian diy'ers especially southern ontario I found this company in Mississauga.
Felt Characteristics - The Brand Felt Ltd.
Seems that sae f10 and f11 are the best they produce. Both above 95% wool content, f10 being white and f11 being grey. Both up to 1" thickness by 72" wide.
I am emailing them about minimum length.
I have read elsewhere that "needle felt" is superior.
I will be starting my 3 way horn loaded speakers this fall and will be using the felt tapering from several inches inside the mid and tweet horns to a bump-out covering the flanges and sides of the grill pocket.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-05-20-13-06-02.png
    Screenshot_2018-05-20-13-06-02.png
    304.9 KB · Views: 169
  • Screenshot_2018-05-20-13-04-49.png
    Screenshot_2018-05-20-13-04-49.png
    314 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Based on my reading other threads, felt on a baffle does not absorb enough. Similar problems may apply to lining the insides of a waveguide. You need thicker media to absorb some of the unwanted sound that would otherwise diffract. Usually applied to waveguides, has anyone tried the "towel trick"? Certainly cheap, easy to try, and looks like hell :) In a horn it helps break up the mouth resonance, but seems like it would help reduce diffraction problems with the edge. So why not put a turban around your tweeter :)

Felt comes in densities of soft to diamond hard.
I'd recommend the soft as it would have a more open structure than diamond hard and be less reflective.
Perhaps a synergistic approach of a base layer of felt then 20-30 ppm open cell foam on top should provide a stable absorptive solution.

BTW I found Big Al's fish stores have blocks of 30 ppm open cell for a good price. Also good for stuffing horn throats.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.