Matching tweeter for Audio Technology C-Quenze 18 H 52 17 06 SD,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nice monitor disco-m but my woofer is AT 18H52 and not the SS and my idea it’s not to build a good or the best monitor... it’s to build the best monitor I can build with the AT 18H52 and a good tweeter suitable to be crossed with.

The Disco-m could be a project in the future.

Sorry mate, but that's just sheer bullsh***

If you implement them right, they work like a charm.. even in a 2 way.
I have heard those speakers here and they were just incredible:
Loudspeakers

..his statement is generally true.

The exception is the Hiquphon, becuase of it added linear excursion (which compensates for the lack of surface area).

So you are both correct. ;)

(..thus end's my "easter-egg" for this year.)

-happy Easter. :)

Nice monitor disco-m but my woofer is AT 18H52 and not the SS and my idea it’s not to build a good or the best monitor... it’s to build the best monitor I can build with the AT 18H52 and a good tweeter suitable to be crossed with.

The Disco-m could be a project in the future.

Disco-m uses a tweeter/waveguide combo that can work well with AT midwoofer. Linear response, low crossover point and controlled directivity.

If finished project with your midwoofer and tweeter is what you want, that's another matter. Then ScottG's suggestion is closest to a good sounding loudspeaker you can get.

18h52 have a breakup about 5,3-5,5 khz. I advise you: around 3kz is the good crossover frequency. My crossover frequency for it is 2.7-2.8 khz. I use Ss 6600 tw. If you want " build the best monitor I can build with the AT 18H52 " then you can not save money for tweeter.
You can use: SS6600 or other top tw of scan, seas crescendo, morel, ow2, or top ribbon (raal). According your taste.

If you just want a good tweeter that fits your exellent AudioTechnology 18H52´s, I woud strongly recommend the SBacoustics Satori Beryllium units.
Next, and cheaper, the SBacoustics Satori 29 Nd units.
They are very, very good, and easy to make CO. And they fits the AT units sonically and dispersion-wise.
The Beryllium units are the best tweeters I have ever heard and used, the last 30 years. And as low as a 2Khz 12/dB highpass filter is no problem for both SB units. Viawawe is no good with AT, I´ve tried them.

BTW the small peak at 6Khz in the AT units, should be smoothened by a notch filter, not by a steep lowpass filter...

Last edited:
I would also wager that the Wavecor TW022WA06-4 will work in the 6.5-7" 2-way segment as I'm currently working on it. It's a waveguided 22mm dome with an Fs of 736/762Hz for my pair. The 2nd order HD rises above the -40dB threshold at about 2.5k, and 3rd order is -50dB from reference to below 1k. This is with a 95dB output level, and a 70uF cap used in series.

Depending on the woofer unit and the inherent FR, I feel this unit is also usable in a 2-way of this sort.

Later,
Wolf

Are you saying that you know of a tweeter that measures horrible but sounds great ?

That's a new one...

First of all, to say one tweeter measures better than some other tweeter, one has to qualify that with "with respect to what parameter" since there can be a whole lot of parameters to choose from. The SBA probably has better low freq. distortion vs. the scanspeak (although I am not sure), but that does not mean it's better since the scanspeak might be better in some other respects.
But anyway, the SB26ADC has a 2db dip around 1k - 4k then a 2db peak at around 5k-6k so that might not be good. Most woofer on a narrow baffle has a dip aroudn 2 - 4k due to diffraction so the combination is definitely not good. Most scanspeak domes don't have that. But of course, freq. response is not everything either. My point is one has to be careful when we use "data" to compare one driver vs. another.

Well, I have decided I will give a try to the satori beryllium TW29B as well as Raidho FTT75

I know none of these is what we can call a cheap tweeter but I do have them stocked (one Raidho has gone to DK calling for a new diafragm) and it’s a cheap test.

In fact the tweeter comes from the Troels Gravesen kit AT-R.
Although the woofer is the stock one and not the special version for Troels design, I think I can make it work with a few mods on crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.