Matching tweeter for Audio Technology C-Quenze 18 H 52 17 06 SD,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why would you use a fabulous driver like the Audio Technology with a cheap tweeter? That driver (which I use in my two-way) deserves something like a Scanspeak or upper-end SEAS tweeter.
I totally agree. Starting with Audio Technology drivers, you are already way beyond budget build.

I just don't understand what raelman mean by matching. So many things could match. But most of all, one search for a sound signature that one like, soft vs hard domes. And seas have 1 soft dome and 2 hard domes I very easy can recommend. But using the word cheap is dangerous. What is cheap, $10, $30, $100 ?

The Hiquphone OW-II tweeter used in The Monitor can easily be replaced by SEAS H1283 22TAF/G - This SEAS tweeter is a hidden gem which many don't give much attention to due to the price. This is a HUGE mistake. Roughly $45-50/piece. That is cheap for a tweeter and such a well made one.

Thanks to all.
What I mean is a good tweeter that can pair the AT in a balanced system. Matched sensibility for sure.
For example XT25 is as cheap as good tweeter
When I say cheap I mean that there’s no need to go to berillium domes I.e.

I would like a proven design If possible. Will take a look at the proposed ones.

Thanks to all.
What I mean is a good tweeter that can pair the AT in a balanced system. Matched sensibility for sure.
For example XT25 is as cheap as good tweeter
When I say cheap I mean that there’s no need to go to berillium domes I.e.

I would like a proven design If possible. Will take a look at the proposed ones.
Balanced or equal as in flat frequency curve is misused and almost mythical as a good approach. There are two things that collide using flat frequency response as the target and that is 1. Machine measured "good" response vs 2. Perceived flat or equal loudness. Humans don't hear frequency's the same, its actually uneven. We are most sensitive between 1500-6000 Hz, before and after and the sensitivity goes down. Pair that with machine flat and human frequency flat and they are totally separated. Too many loudspeakers sound dead after 10kHz, meaning all the natural harmonics is more or less removed.

Anyway, you can read more about it in the link. So what I am saying is, as an advice, don't look to much at measured flat frequency.
Equal-loudness contour - Wikipedia

No 6" driver can cross between 3 and 4KHz with 19mm tweeter and work good AT, Revelator or ...

19mm tweeters want to be crossed over 4KHz or higher. There is nothing 19mm tweeter can do better than 25mm up to 10KHz - higher than 10KHz it may have slight advantage because of wider directivity but, in my opinion, it's not worth lower power handling, smaller Sd and as byproduct higher excursion at lower frequencies.

@Raelman: SB26ADC costs about 50€ and measures in line with best of what Seas and Scan Speak have to offer. I'd consider it at least.

Last edited:
I am quite sure that you like those.

If that loudspeaker is crossed at 4KHz i can only presume what loudspeakers you've used to listen when you liked these that much.

Maybe you should stop your wrong assumptions and learn.
The Myro Loudspeakers were just one example to show you that it is possible to use a 3/4" tweeter in a 2-way design as you stated its not possible, which is sheer nonesene

Maybe you should stop your wrong assumptions and learn...

I'm not assuming.

With Sd=137sqcm and circle surface area being r˄2 x Pi - we can conclude that r=6.6cm and R=13.2cm and that would be diameter of the cone.

In theory, cone with that diameter will start to beam at 2606Hz. In practice, frequency response at 30deg will be at about -3dB and at 60deg off axis will be arround -8dB in regard to on axis at that frequency.

On the other hand, we have small 19mm tweeter that will start to beam in theory at 17KHz but between 3 and 4 KHz the response off axis will be the same as on axis.

Loudspeaker with these two drivers combined at lets say 3,5KHz, will have severe dip/peak combo even at small off axis angles. Since you hear complex sum of on and off axis sound it can not sound natural ( unless you're sitting nearfield and not moving at all while the loudspeakers are aiming directly at your head).

Or maybe you can point me to something i overlooked, life is a learning experience. Much obliged.

The Myro Loudspeakers were just one example to show you that it is possible to use a 3/4" tweeter in a 2-way design as you stated its not possible, which is sheer nonesene

I stated no such thing - don't lie.

It is possible - just not with 6" midwoofer or, if it is with 6" midwoofer, not without a waveguide.

I'd really like you to provide us with measurements of loudspeaker that you've linked. On and off axis, gated to at least 200Hz and off axis to about 90 deg in 10dB increments.

Last edited:
Well, I could try SBAcoustics Satori TW29R that I have at home in the Kairos speakers.

Regarding to 3/4 tweeters, Tony Gee from Humblehomadehifi buld The Monitors with AT 18H52+Hiquphon OW2 so I assume they will pair good.
In fact he told me that OW1 MAYBE could work as well without paralell LPad resistor

Regarding to 3/4 tweeters, Tony Gee from Humblehomadehifi buld The Monitors with AT 18H52+Hiquphon OW2 so I assume they will pair good.
In fact he told me that OW1 MAYBE could work as well without paralell LPad resistor

One can call this The Monitor:

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/download/Humble Homemade Hifi_The Monitor.pdf

I'd call it The Embarrassment.

Consider making something like this: Disco-M – Heissmann Acoustics but with 6.5" midwoofer instead of 8".

Alexander Heismann knows what he's doing.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.