Help with L-Pad

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just replaced the 25 ohm pots on my stock N-800-F crossovers because the originals were non-functional. Unfortunately, I replaced the called for 25 ohm pots with 25K ohm pots. Needles to say, they are also non-functional. I have a couple of 16 ohm L-pads but I am unsure how to wire them up in place of the stock pots+20 ohm resistors. I'm not smart enough to interpret the schematic for an L-pad and then transfer the correct wires from the pot+resistor.
I'm trying to get this done for Christmas!
Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• 20171223_141531.jpg
    20171223_141531.jpg
    828.9 KB · Views: 121
  • N-800F Schematic.jpg
    N-800F Schematic.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 122
Hi WntrMute,

This isn't really an L-Pad, just an attenuator.

What most fussy people do is replace that with a string of resistors. Depends what you have and what you have time for, because at this point the value you want you'll have to experiment with. I'd suggest getting a 5 and pair of 10s. Put them in series with R1 to (+). Then connect the wiper, or the arrow from the end of L1 to each in turn until you get the right level. So maybe like this:

--10--5--10--

Then depending on where you put the wiper (L1) you achieve different levels of attenuation. The order of the resistors doesn't matter. So you could do:

--10--10-5--

or

--5--10--10--

What matters is you get the level right. The 5 Ohm resistor will give you a good half-way point. :) You can then attach the wiper at any of these points on the series of resistors. For instance:

--5-^--10--10--

Would give you just a little attenuation (5 Ohms) while putting it one step after:

--5--10--^--10--

Would increase the attenuation a little more. Jumper cables are your friend. :)

You could also put the wiper (end of L1) at the beginning or end. Depends what you need.

Best,

E

Last edited:
Thanks EricS. I see what you are suggesting. Currently though, I really just want to replace that difficult to source 25ohm pot+resistor with an L-Pad. There are plenty of schematics on the web but I am having trouble figuring which wire would go where on the L-Pad.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Simply use the 16 ohm pot. Add a 4.7 ohm resistor either side of it, in other words change the 20 ohm to 25 and add 5 on the other side. Then, if you find you want more adjustment on either side, simply rearrange that extra resistance.

Thanks for the good suggestion Allen. I really need to know which wires/resistor in the original design go to which contact on the new pot. For instance, do I keep that big 25ohm resistor hooked up the same way when I substitute the L-Pad for the potentiometer?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
If you replace the pot with fixed resistors, you'll want two of them which together add to 25 ohms. First connect one lead from each resistor together, this will be the arrow in the schematic. The remaining two leads are the outer connections of the 25 in the schematic.

If I understand you. The middle tap on the L-Pad gets the two wires (blue & black) that are attached to the middle tap in the picture. The single black wire goes to one tap, either 1 or 3. The 25 ohm resistor gets bypassed by a wire that goes from the last tap to the tag strip. In essence, removing the resistor from the circuit. Sound correct?
Thanks for your help with this.

Attachments

• 20171223_141531.jpg
    20171223_141531.jpg
    828.9 KB · Views: 44
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The middle tap on the L-Pad gets the two wires (blue & black) that are attached to the middle tap in the picture.
Yes. You mention bypassing the 20 ohm resistor and I assume you mean to effectively remove it. Have the two new resistors add up to 45 ohms or so.

The action of the pot in the original crossover is going to change more than the level, just slightly altering the response character, so there is some uncertainty to begin with. A little experimentation is in order.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.