Building a two way bookshelf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I am thinking to build a pair of bookshelf speakers using Scan-Speak 8" woofers and probably some aluminum dome tweeters from Seas, Vifa, Morell, or any good quality brand. I can build the crossover myself but prefer to buy a kit to assemble it. I have not idea what cutting frequency should I get since I don't know too much about these drivers. For what I have read, these drivers will work cutting them to 2000hz, 2500hz, 3000hz, 3500hz and 4000 hz. (two way crossover)

This is a project I want to do for fun and entertainment but I would like to have good results. I am trying to get advice from those who already has built DIY speakers or know the best way to chose a crossover. I don't know if it could be a good idea to cut the tweeter high and let more mid-frequencies to reach the woofer or to cut lower the tweeter allowing more mid-frequencies going to it. I am toward to allow more mid-range going to the woofer but I may be wrong. I think the woofer handles the mid better than a 1" metallic dome tweeter.

Please, give me some light about how to chose the crossovers and correct me if I am wrong with it.

Thanks

Last edited:
A crossover does more than cut frequencies. It is responsible for the integration of the two drivers and usually some mild EQ. If you are going to spend Scan level money and you want good results, you should build an existing design. If you want to learn about speaker design, I would personally start with more value oriented drivers.

Dan

Advice depends on circumstances. What Scan 8" woofers are these?

The Peerless 830869 looks good to me. Think I'd know what to do with that one.

Attachments

• Peerless 830869.JPG
    Peerless 830869.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 630
Worth looking at the sb acoustics 21 or 29rdc ring tweeters, these go down pretty low and are pretty flat to 20khz so could be crossed over from about 1O00hz by the look of it. May get time tomorrow to model something in boxsim with the ScanSpeak 22w and peerless above. An 8” desktop monitor would be nice, run active with a pair of naim nap200 clones and an active cross over. Like the look also of a front ported L slot cabinet, probably tunes to about 35hz for a 20-25l cabinet.

SB Acoustics :: SB21RDC-C000-4

SB29RDC-C000-4 :: SB Acoustics

The Dayton rs225p-4 also looks pretty well behaved, less of a 700-800hz dip than other similar drivers. Similar price too.

Last edited:
The Peerless 830869 looks good to me. Think I'd know what to do with that one.

system7 is correct...the Peerless P830869 has a smoother SPL above 1kHz and hence better suited for a 2-way design.

--PROPOSED DESIGN: The 1.1" diameter SB29RDC-4 dome tweeter has been used sucessfully with steep slope crossovers at 1400Hz with the Peerless P830869.
--EXTERNAL: 12"-wide * 17"-18"-high * 12"-deep will yield about 0.75cuft open volume after drivers + crossover + brace + port are subtracted.
--LR4-LR4 crossover circuit at 1400Hz which is adjusted for modest baffle diffraction gain between 500-1000Hz.

Attachments

• 8in dome 12x18.JPG
    8in dome 12x18.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 435
  • 8in woof 1in dome.JPG
    8in woof 1in dome.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 425
Is it a crazy idea ??

Hi all,

I am hooked up with the hobby during these days and many ideas come to my mind. I am learning before to venture building some speakers. I don't have the resources to design and tune a loudspeaker the right way but I want to play anyway.
During my visits to Thrift stores I have seen many speakers of different sizes and types. Some of them are vintage, others aren't. Sometimes, I find the boxes are in very good condition but they are low quality speakers from Sony, Pioneer, KLH, etc.

Can a set of speakers with low quality drivers be upgraded using quality drivers ??

What is going to happen if I get some of these boxes and upgrade the drivers and crossovers ?? Does it work or don't work ??

Please, I know this isn't the right way but I want to know if somebody has done it and what was his experience.

I dream of buying a pair of low priced speakers and to upgrade the drivers using Danish drivers or any other high quality drivers and crossovers.

Thanks for reading and excuse me if this is totally nonsense. I think about having a basic KIA with an BMW engine and transmission.

Last edited:
The cabinet is as important as the drivers. Hold out for a good speaker system,
or build a complete scratch system. Watch your local Craigslist regularly.

Thanks for advising.! I really don't need speakers. I own good entry level speakers, Paradigm Studio 100 and Monitor Audio Silver. I have had B&W, Boston Acoustic, Thiel, Epos, Mission, etc. The thing is I want to build or upgrade some by myself.

There's a loudspeaker called Suzie Q which uses the 4 ohm version of the Scanspeak woofer. The designer wants a license fee, but you get the plans for a well done speaker. Tweeter and crossover are properly selected by someone who knows what he is doing. :)

Suzie „Q“ – Heissmann Acoustics

BTW, I recently have noticed Alexander Heißmann is also member of diyAudio.

Thanks for the link. It looks beautiful. The textile dome tweeters aren't my favorites. I prefer metal domes, otherwise, it could be perfect.

I can buy a kit.! However, kits using top drivers are very expensive. I have listened speakers designed by recognized brands that don't impress anybody. The fact they are from factories doesn't mean they will perform how you like. Anyway, according to the answers so far, an speaker can not be upgraded with new drivers. Thanks for advising.! By the way, nobody has answered what I asked.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.