Is there any Future for high-end PASSIVE multi-way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That comment made me think of how the whole active/DSP thing is now mandatory in my DIYer's life:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/311433-multi-11.html#post5167370

Can't think otherwise anymore. Too convenient, too precise, too efficient and too fun to pass on.

I wonder if in 5, 10 or 20 years from now they will be any place for high-end speakers using passive crossover and single amp ?

Sure, the low-end stuff will remain (especially 2-way) but what about real multiway stuff ?

I'm talking DIY projects but also commercial, boutique, speakers.

Could say the same thing for turntables when CDs came along!

OTOH that did sound the death knell for cassette tape! You can't even give away a tape player these days...

There is also carriages pulled by horses passing on my street everyday (no kidding) that doesnt mean cars didnt win over horses...

I'm not talking about the full complete disappearance of something on the market but rather a permanent decline trend.

I'm not sure it's even on the way right now, in 2017, that permanent decline (passive speakers, not horses...)

You could always edit your first post, I don't care because I made sure to quote what I considered to be the relevant part in my first reply :cool:

Yeah, but i can't headline ''YOUR PASSIVE MULTIWAY WILL DIE, BE PREPARED S*CKERS!'' there is a certain way to tell people those kind of things, you know ? :happy2:

Like when your daughter's dog get hit by a car you don't tell her the dog is now painting a bumper but rather ''he's in dog's heaven with the unicorns taking care, honey''

I'm not saying passive multi-way is ready to meet the unicorns ...but be prepared.

:cheerful:

I wonder if in 5, 10 or 20 years from now they will be any place for high-end speakers using passive crossover and single amp ?

As long as there is high-end amplifiers, high-end passive speakers will be there too, along with "high-end" wires. In the end it doesn't matter what will prevail.

For casual listening I am perfectly satisfied with a suboptimal smaller stereo setup made from scrap pieces of drivers of what used to be a mini stereo system (4" midwoofer, 2" cone tweeter) tweaked passively to sound transparent and a salvaged chip amp from a car stereo (4 watts/4 ohm) with a cd-rom drive acting as front end. This was the project of mine for the 2017. Mesh grille was also reused from another loudspeaker, fits not ideally but it does provide protection.

Attachments

• DIY 2.jpg
    DIY 2.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 609
  • DIY 3.jpg
    DIY 3.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 614
  • DIY 1.jpg
    DIY 1.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 610
  • DIY 4.jpg
    DIY 4.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 606
  • DIY amp.JPG
    DIY amp.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 601
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.