New ceramic drivers from SB Acoustics

I got a pair of the new CAC mid woofers. First test measurements were taken today. Bass goes very low for the 15cm woofer but IMHO it doesn't have so many ''colours'' as paper woofers. Midrange are superb and very natural with plenty details. Overall good value for the money.
I have made quick setup with SB21RDC and they play beautiful, one of the best budget monitors I have made.

Thanks for your feedback, appreciated

Bellow callibrated 2.83V RMS.

Attachments

• sb15 thd 1w.jpg
    sb15 thd 1w.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,046
  • sb15 thd arta 1w.jpg
    sb15 thd arta 1w.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,032
  • sb15 thd1w prcent.jpg
    sb15 thd1w prcent.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 1,031
These SB Acoustics CAC ceramic (and NAC aluminium) line of drivers are one of the single cleanest measuring bass-midrange drivers out there. It handles well nonlinearities even at elevated drive voltages. Only Seas Excel W15CY001 measures so clean but remember that Seas is 3x more expensive driver and what is more its magnesium membrane is plagued with severe break-up so you do need to know well how to handle it. SB driver is extremely easy to use, on the other hand. Response in passive alignments is impressive as well. Kudos to SB Acoustics!

Last edited:
These SB Acoustics CAC ceramic (and NAC aluminium) line of drivers are one of the single cleanest measuring bass-midrange drivers out there. It handles well nonlinearities even at elevated drive voltages. Only Seas Excel W15CY001 measures so clean but remember that Seas is 3x more expensive driver and what is more its magnesium membrane is plagued with severe break-up so you do need to know well how to handle it. SB driver is extremely easy to use, on the other hand. Response in passive alignments is impressive as well. Kudos to SB Acoustics!
I'm curious about the motor used in the 5 and 6" standard SB drivers. The carbon woofer for example, is it a good performer THD wise?

I have made quick setup SB15CAC + SB21RDC + some parts hanging around my desk. This 15cm woofer is bass-crazy, just look Yourself :D
The measurements are not super accurate (crossover also) but the bass is really deep.

Attachments

• prototyp..jpg
    prototyp..jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 1,319
  • thd 1w.jpg
    thd 1w.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,301
  • thd prcent 1w.jpg
    thd prcent 1w.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,289
Last edited:
Good balance of T-S parameters combined with decent linear stroke capabilities can develop impressive output from small enclosure and relatively small excitation signal. This is combined with special features: low-order HD rapidly rising from ultra - clean midrange (typical for constant - inductance motors and rigid membranes behaving like ideal piston) into the harmonics - rich bass. High HD content inside of bass range gives the impression of "huge bass". These are my favorites among 5".

Last edited:
but the bass is really deep.

I am not sure that is a good thing though. The driver uses a rather thick surround rubber that may give it extra bass but it's a bit dead on the midrange well at least that was my initial impression a few months ago. I mean these are 5.5in driver, not some big woofer. Hopefully I'll get to fire it up again soon for a more careful listening.
Another of my disappointment with this driver is that when I received them, the driver surface looks a bit cheap - sort of like my sofa leather and it feels sort of rubbery. I personally have not seen an Accuton ceramic driver, but if this is what ceramic driver looks like, then I am not sure I want it. But I already bought a pair so might as well try them out.

I am not sure that is a good thing though. The driver uses a rather thick surround rubber that may give it extra bass but it's a bit dead on the midrange well at least that was my initial impression a few months ago. I mean these are 5.5in driver, not some big woofer.....

I got the same impression from SB17NRXC35-8. Deep, not too precise bass with lack of clarity in midrange.

...... the driver surface looks a bit cheap - sort of like my sofa leather and it feels sort of rubbery. I personally have not seen an Accuton ceramic driver, but if this is what ceramic driver looks like, then I am not sure I want it. But I already bought a pair so might as well try them out.

It is coating of aluminium(III) oxide (Al2O3) and a thin one. There is hardly any difference from classic ALU cone that they make other than aesthetics.

Thanks for honest comments.

Looking at the freq. response curve, it looks like the driver pretty much done after 2KHz. I mean a 5.5 driver that couldn't do past 2khz. I can't believe SBA would release these kind of garbage. Sorry for the harsh language it is garbage.
Not sure what you're looking at but the on-axis frequency response is very good up to 4 kHz or so, with the only flaw being a mild, broad rise centered at 1.5-2 kHz.

If you're talking about the 30 and 60 degree off-axis curves, they seem to be fairly in-line with other drivers of similar size. I have not, however, double-checked to confirm...