Best Treble Unit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Hi all,

I'm just drawing up some plans on a new loudspeaker I'm going to be making shortly.

Its a sort of no holds barred experiment and I want a very competent HF unit.

I've been looking at the Raven R-1, Seas-Excel 'Millenium' as well as the ScanSpeak 9900 Revelator.

Any suggestion as to which of the above (if any) has the ability to transform recording into reality?

I currently use the seas Millennium in my last speaker, 3 way dipole with electronic crossover dedicated with equalizer + alignment of the acoustic centers for every driver.
Attention to the sound of the Millennium, is very detailed to the middle and the middle high frequency but it is a little airy to the high frequency, compared with tw type ribbon it has a very closed timbre, the impression is that to listen aloft to an answer in limited frequency, an answer with a precocious roll-off.
The general quality is tall but the dark timbre is particular, can reveal disappointing as unfortunately in my speaker.
I don't succeed in accepting this type of sound, I believe that I will change the tw with model to ribbon.

Valter

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Cheers for all the suggestions, though I doubt that I will ever consider spending $1000+ on single drive unit.

So maybe I should rephrase the 'no-holds barred' bit :eek:

Let's say recommendations for HF under $250 each.

I'm thinking that ribbon is the way to go and specifically the Raven 1 but I'm still of course undecided. More suggestions needed.

The Raven is defenitly a much better tweeter than the Seas or the Scanspeak but is also the most difficult one of the three to combine with a good mid-range driver. You will have to look for a driver that is fast enough, dynamic enough and smooth enough to come up with the Raven, else the coherence between the drivers would be dissapointing in the end, so using the Ravens will not automatically lead to an overall better sound.

What mid-range did you have in mind ?

I'd go for the Accuton C12-6 or the C23-6. I've got both, and they're both damn good and easy to work with. Pioneer says this about the PT-R9 ribbon tweeter towards the end of its specifications:

...Crossover. We recommend that the crossover frequency for the PT-R9 be 5 kHz or higher with a cutoff response -12dB/oct or higher

Not very flexible is it? You'd need a small (<5") speaker to smoothly fill in the midrange. The only weakness I could find with the Accuton C23 is that it's a mission getting comparable quality sound from midrange and bass speakers and from the amplifier. At one point I felt like I threw my money away on the C23, when I had trouble getting the Accuton C94 midrange to sound as good. And what it really needs is a class-A amplifier.

IMO the C23 or C12 is a no-brainer - just pick one of them depending on how much midrange you want. Then forget about them and spend weeks optimizing things for the other speakers: box, crossovers, etc. You'll seldom hear other "just do it" recommendations coming from me.

CM

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I'm going to hold off any decision until I've demoed the Scanspeak R2904-700000 Ring Radiator Tweeter in a design by a friend of a fellow DIY'er. Apparently its a very good performer and in a different league to soft domes - according to him, so not my words.

I've heard the Raven 1 in another box featuring the ATC SM75.150 dome midrange and an unknown ATC bass driver in a 3 way enclosure and to my ears it was the best speaker that I'd ever heard, very detail, realistic and music was just so much more involving than anything I'd heard previously.

I'm going to be using a 3 way design with the ATC SM75.150 dome mid and a Volt B250.8 for bass duties

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I'm using Ravens (1 & 2) and I like them (first order crossover)

Like those very much too...
Still, if you're looking for a decent leaf tweeter that won't break the bank the Visaton unit is really excellent.

Cheers,;)

Attachments

• mht12.jpg
    mht12.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 2,339
Peter Daniel, Ceramicman, phase_accurate,

teh R1 and C23-6 both cost under $200. how would these compare?

What midbass driver would match with these tweeters?

My benchmark speakers are 2 x SS 8546 + SS 9900 and Audax170Z0+MDT33.

I would be looking at something significantly better, smoother, more resolution, etc..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.