Asymmetrical crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Filter I came up with in Boxsim is below. 30L closed box. Whether it sounds any good? No idea. Seems to push the tweeter hard.

It doesn't work well with my baffle.

This is crossover I came up. It also pushes tweeter very low, but Boxsim thinks it is OK (after all tweeter is quite big and BG 20 only has 40W and 4mm Xmax). I hope peak above 10kHz won't be a problem. I will try it.

Attachments

• spl.png
    spl.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 168
  • crossover.png
    crossover.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 166
  • max_spl.png
    max_spl.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 167
I may be in a minority of one here, but these problems aren't easy IMO. :D

It's certainly interesting to work with a bass unit that has a lively sound. Dustcaps are bad, IMO. Cloth surrounds work well. Efficiency is good.
Monacor SP200X +
BLACKCONES

I greatly like the two cheap and retro drivers in my Sony E44 cheapie. But the single 3.3uF capacitor crossover to the plastic cone tweeter sounded horrible. Too cheap, IMO. We can do better.

Attachments

• Sony_E44.jpg
    Sony_E44.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 151
Boxsim sound origin SEO

Do I understand correcty, this value in Bassbox is acoustic center?
It is 50 mm for BG 20 and 14 mm for TW 6 NG. Values seem a bit deep.
Boxsim sound origin SEO

The value here is not the acoustic centre. Visaton mathematically remove the mike to baffle distance (40cm) and look at the phase. If they don't do this then the phase will wrap over 20 times before 20 KHz. If it still wraps too much then they mathematically add or subtract more mike distance until the phase looks nice and does not wrap around so much in the frequency range relevant for that particular driver. This extra "mike distance" is the figure you see in the Sound Origin SEO dialog.

Isn't extra mic distance basically acoustic center offset from baffle?
Not quite. The description below explains it nicely.
Well even, if it is not real acoustic center, it should provide acoustic offset (which is important for simulation). My imprecise measurement wasn't that far off (7 mm).
If you want the real acoustic centre then the jeff bagby method will get you there

https://translate.google.com/transl.../showpost.php?p=364815&postcount=35&sandbox=1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.