Will this design work? (Drawings)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DonVK I understand now. Thanks again. so I'm up here with some new drawings. I also add my recent project, so this floor standing ones will be same type, rounded over edges and oil finish, but speakers will be mounted from inside. I have a sample photo from Kirby Meets Audio about speaker mounting.

I hope this time i got something works...

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    359.3 KB · Views: 107
  • speaker 2.png
    speaker 2.png
    256 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20170225_191517_1.jpg
    IMG_20170225_191517_1.jpg
    686.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_6568.jpg
    IMG_6568.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 94
DonVK I understand now. Thanks again. so I'm up here with some new drawings. I also add my recent project, so this floor standing ones will be same type, rounded over edges and oil finish, but speakers will be mounted from inside. I have a sample photo from Kirby Meets Audio about speaker mounting.

I hope this time i got something works...
How much of this speaker are you actually building?

Are you buying a kit [Drivers, CrossOvers, misc Hardware] and placing it in your own cabinet?

BTW you're lucky to be in HK. Your available parts selection and prices must be amazing.

Hi again,

My components;
Speaker; AIRS brand 5.79 US Dollar each
TB29VY.tpXXXXbcXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!316587309.jpg

Tweeters; AIRS 5.50 US Each

TB27vnUaFXXXXXFXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!316587309.jpg

Crossover; AIRS 4.34 US each

T2XKj.XBJXXXXXXXXX_!!316587309.jpg

Digital Amp 2.1 BREEZE AUDIO (I regret) 18.09 US

TB2X2QOdXXXXXX5XXXXXXXXXXXX_!!88221699.jpg

Bamboo plywood is not flooring. They produce 5mm to 31mm thickness. So beautiful, so sturdy and easy to work. I think for this project it will cost me about 20-25 USD i will use 18mm thick.

I'm buying my stuff from taobao.com its amazing. You can find anything you need. But unfortunately its only available in chinese and they wont send overseas. Im actually From Turkey but my wife is Chinese. So its great to have an access to taobao.com.

So what do you guys think about my last sketches? Will any of them worth to try?

By the way, they claimed woofers are 35w and tweeters 20w, i used 3 inches woofers on my previous project, from same brand. It's unexpectedly good. But i'm not an audio guy. Maybe it wont be pleasant for you guys.
What goals are you trying to accomplish?

Usually a tilted or horizontal woofer is attempting to make omnidirectional sound, using reflected sound off the walls. However you need room to do this, as the speakers cannot be against a wall. Is your listening space large enough to put the speakers >1m from any walls?

I just want to make decent speakers for listening music with some nice looking handmade touch. Maybe I can give it to someone as gift. I thought it would be nice next to TV for using with TV and music player.

Is it really dramatically effect that distance to wall or shape of the room? Houses are so small in Hong Kong. I mean will it be disturb any ordinary person that not especially looking for HIFI sound?

I just want to make decent speakers for listening music with some nice looking handmade touch. Maybe I can give it to someone as gift. I thought it would be nice next to TV for using with TV and music player.

Is it really dramatically effect that distance to wall or shape of the room? Houses are so small in Hong Kong. I mean will it be disturb any ordinary person that not especially looking for HIFI sound?
This is only a suggestion, I have not made a speaker like this.

Try a type of vertical "bipole" which are made to be mounted against walls. Top woofer or full range is on surface between 30-45deg down from horizontal making the angle from the vertical wall 120-135deg (oblique). Then either a woofer or full range driver on the front surface equi-distant from the front edge with top driver. Then a tweeter, only if the other drivers are woofers. If you use full range drivers you don't need a cross over, and you can go a little bigger (5-6inch) driver for similar cost. Also, if there are children around you'll need a wire mesh driver cover otherwise they will poke the drivers :)

Do you mean like this? I will need larger space for this am i right? I mean i calculate the chamber that speaker stay is about 5,6 litre exactly what manufacturer recommend. If I add one more speaker do I need double space?
I agree with Scott, the tweeter needs to be roughly at ear listening level.

Yes, 2x drivers means 2x volume but you'll also get much better bass from small speakers.

I can't tell how high the cabinet is. One drawing has a vertical tab at the back (oblique to top woofer) of the cabinet for a tweeter. That would be one location because it would be parallel to the wall and raised to ear listening level. However it does cause a phase shift problem from the woofer. Another solution is to put the tweeter as high up on the front surface so its aligned to the front woofer.

Are you sure you don't want to use 2 full range speakers for this, and avoid the other issues?

Last edited:
I really appreciate guys, you already taught me a lot. So, what about this drawing?

And I want to ask should I double the cabinet volume due to 2 speakers?

Speaker itself about 60cm without that tweeter board. I thought it can be even place on the TV stand. The guy in the drawings is about 180cm tall. He can give some idea about scale.

Attachments

• LAST.png
    LAST.png
    121.5 KB · Views: 75
  • last2.png
    last2.png
    325.6 KB · Views: 78
If you bring your tweeter plate down to where the bottom of the angled woofer is and put the other woofer underneath the one on the base you would have a TMM style with the tweeter being reasonably time aligned. Much more conventional but likely to be more successful.

By combining radiation in different directions from the same type of drivers will create interference patterns. This can be helpful if you know what you are doing and can control the relative levels or EQ of the drivers like the Beolab does.

In your picture it is more likely to create destructive interference and peaks and dips in the response.

Cabinet volume is dependant on the parameters of your drivers, do you have any Thiele Small parameters for them. Also whether it will be sealed or vented.

Last edited:
If you bring your tweeter plate down to where the bottom of the angled woofer is and put the other woofer underneath the one on the base you would have a TMM style with the tweeter being reasonably time aligned. Much more conventional but likely to be more successful.

By combining radiation in different directions from the same type of drivers will create interference patterns. This can be helpful if you know what you are doing and can control the relative levels or EQ of the drivers like the Beolab does.

In your picture it is more likely to create destructive interference and peaks and dips in the response.

Cabinet volume is dependant on the parameters of your drivers, do you have any Thiele Small parameters for them. Also whether it will be sealed or vented.
I agree.

Oh I dont really understand the placement. (My bad English)
I attached the graphs that manufacturer provided. and the other informations are like this;

Rated power: 35W

Maximum power: 50W

Peak power: 100W

Effective frequency: 75Hz-5500Hz

Sensitivity: 86dB

Qts: 0.56

Cabinet volume: 5.6L

I designed as sealed. No any reason just easier. I think vent hole and insert pipe also need some calculation. I feel very down now. I think it will ended up ordinary book shelf speakers; woofer and tweeter in the front. :( :( But I want to make something visually different and pleasing.

Attachments

• T2FY5XXpRaXXXXXXXX_!!316587309.jpg
    T2FY5XXpRaXXXXXXXX_!!316587309.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 69
  • T2sXWFXuhaXXXXXXXX_!!316587309.jpg
    T2sXWFXuhaXXXXXXXX_!!316587309.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 72
  • T2v0GJXBJXXXXXXXXX_!!316587309.jpg
    T2v0GJXBJXXXXXXXXX_!!316587309.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 66
In my mind I saw it as a floor stander. Obviously that's not the case, so, from an aesthetic point of view you could place the tweeter wherever you want and adjust height with the stand. I still recommend though that you place it as close as possible to the woofer. Also you mentioned a 2.1 amp, are you planning to use a subwoofer?

Last edited:
Oh I dont really understand the placement. (My bad English)

Like this, I chopped your picture up a bit but hopefully you get the idea.

attachment.php

I attached the graphs that manufacturer provided. and the other informations are like this;

Rated power: 35W

Maximum power: 50W

Peak power: 100W

Effective frequency: 75Hz-5500Hz

Sensitivity: 86dB

Qts: 0.56

Cabinet volume: 5.6L

The last page is the most useful as it lists the T/S parameters put these into a box program and it will tell you the optimum cabinet volume.

There are some strange things in that Qts is shown in the image as 0.52 and not 0.56, but Vas at 5.6L is the same as the cabinet volume they have listed.

Making the cabinet the same size as Vas will work but it may not be optimal.

I designed as sealed. No any reason just easier. I think vent hole and insert pipe also need some calculation. I feel very down now. I think it will ended up ordinary book shelf speakers; woofer and tweeter in the front. :( :( But I want to make something visually different and pleasing.

Sealed is fine but those woofers won't go very low in a sealed cabinet.

Make it however you want it to look, but the image I just posted will work a lot better as a speaker!

Attachments

• LAST.png
    LAST.png
    201.6 KB · Views: 173

AquaDesignHK,

For your goals, you might want to check out wide-band (aka full-range) drivers. I know this is the multi-way forum, but given the design brief, I thought I'd suggest. :)

Mark Audio, one of the popular wide-band brands among diyA folk, are based in Hong Kong, so should be easy for you to check out.

An "up-firing" design that might interest you:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...-bipolar-ml-tl-chr-70-el70-7.html#post1926558

fluid, Thanks mate, I got it now. Probably I will go for single woofer + tweeter. Maybe just ordinary tower speaker. I will try something different maybe next time.

zman01 Thanks for the link. I heard about his speakers, seems very good quality. I don't know the price range but must be way way over this projects budget. Definately i will go for full range drivers next time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.