Why Zaph doesn't test no more?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Two reasons I am aware of
1. Family. Having kids eats into time to do this stuff
2. As he designed his own drivers it was hard to remain impartial. Or people started claiming it was hard to stay impartial. only he knows. The internet freetards are hard on you if you start to make some money!

If someone knows more accurately which one of these was the real reason I would be interested to hear.

Having done my own driver testing I now understand the tremendous amount of work and attention to detail needed to produce results on the same level as Zaph's. Publishing speaker data can also be a rather thankless exercise and once you've measured as much as Zaph has, new and interesting drivers become few and far between. Spending half a weekend setting up your measurement rig only to confirm that a probably mediocre driver is indeed mediocre is not something most people would want to do.

I learnt so much from Zaphs website - I would even go as far as saying that the majority of my speaker building knowledge comes from studying the projects and data on his website, so if he is reading I just wanted to say thanks.

As TMM and Face said. Doing this kind of thing with the kind of consistency that Zaph did is a massive undertaking.

I do driver testing for my own personal projects but these are never standardised in the same way that Zaph's were. I simply don't have the space available to dedicate the kind of measurement setup you'd need to do what he did.

I believe Zaph used a large amount of redundant space in his basement or similar for a measurement setup that was largely left alone when not in use. I could be wrong on this, but if you have such a room available it makes doing repeat testing far less of a burden, but it does require that space.

Now he's got the family, time is an issue, but so is the space. What once could be devoted to measurements may now be used otherwise!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.