High Mass Woofers, Did Snell Start it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When I last heard the Snell A/III it was up against a wall so I doubt I got much of the rear tweeter effect. Interesting observation, so the 275 Hz does seem high for a floor firing woofer. May explain some of Gravesen's observations about the bass/midrange not integrating quite as well as the mid/treble.

What were the Fs and SPL eff. on each?
23Hz & 2.1% for the JBL 2234, 20Hz and 1.3% for the 2235 (ouch).
Surprising 50 grams of added mass (1/3 MMS) only drops FS by 3 Hz.

Attachments

• JBL.png
    JBL.png
    142.6 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
I have a pair of early model type A speakers, 10" woofers. When I got them the surrounds were shot so I had them re-coned. Unfortunately the guy who did the work removed the resin and didn't put it back. He told me he had re-coned more than one set of these woofers. Now the bass is noticeably weaker. Any ideas on how I can fix the problem?

TS parameters of the earlier/original and the reconed version are needed to figure out the differences and the frequency response measurement would have revealed further. If the new surround appears much stiffer than the original, then one could try an attempt to have another surround exchange. But first measurements to be sure.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I saw it here or on the PE forum, but he had retired from business, and I believe sold his web address.
As my mother used to say, "it's never a good time".
At least, as with tinnitus, sreten, and others, we still have his thoughtful posts and explanations from his years of experience.

They are all alive within us, as long as we remember them.

Sorry to spring it on you like that,
David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.