Need help with 5.1 Home Theater design with donated SEAS and Peerless drivers. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2016, 10:42 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need help with 5.1 Home Theater design with donated SEAS and Peerless drivers.

Hi All,

A few months ago, a local community tinkering/making group (Hackerspace) I sometimes frequent was donated a large number of drivers from an audio supply place who was clearing out old stock.

They are:

Woofers: SEAS P17RE/P (Over 500 drivers)
Tweeters: SEAS 27TFF (Over 350 drivers)
Sub-Woofer: Peerless 830533 (I forget how many, but a lot)

I have taken my own T/S measurements of the drivers to the best of my limited abilities.

Woofer: Fs=90hz; Re=6.3Ohm; Qms=1.323; Qes=0.958; Qts=0.555; Sd=120cm^2; Vas=7.991litre; Spl=90dB/W/m

Tweeter: Fs=1025hz; Re=4.5Ohm; Qms=1.98; Qes=1.16; Qts=0.73; Sd=7.5cm^2; (looks like I didn't get the SPL sorry)

Sub: Fs=38hz; Re=2.7Ohm; Qms=8.52; Qes=0.497; Qts=0.469; Sd=353cm^2; Vas=63.651litre; Spl=90.46 Db/W/m

Nobody at the Hackerspace knows much about speakers, so I'm the guy (I know very little, although I've been bitten by the bug and am keen to learn and build).

I designed and built an MLTL in a TMM arrangement with MJK's worksheets, which i'm sort of happy with, but I don't yet have a mic to take proper measurements. I have the electronics to measure impedance etc. though.

The problem I have is that they have promised my father a new 5.1/5.2 surround system for his home theater in return for a donated piece of machinery, and I've been stuck in the middle of making it happen and designing a system.

What i'd like to know is, given the drivers available, is it possible to construct a reasonable or better home theater setup, and how do I go about doing it. I have like I mentioned a lot of drivers to play with, wood workers who could build me any cabinet I asked for.

The theater is a square room built for the home theater, with two levels, each one containing a row of 5 plush recliners as an indicator of size. I don't have exact room dimensions atm, but I can get them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i'm tearing my hair out here trying to figure out how to make this work...

Regards,
Andrew.
Old 22nd January 2016, 11:25 AM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Quick search for the datasheets for the woofer and tweeter shows they are quite decent speakers. Maybe not the best match but I think it should be possible to use them together perhaps with a crossover point around 2500Hz... Can't find anything on the sub.

I'd look at doing two ways for the woofer/tweeter combo same for front and back. Do some modeling with something like unibox in a sealed enclosure and see how it looks.

Then do a design using the peerless for a sub (or perhaps multiple subs since you have a lot of drivers).

What aspects are you not happy about the MLTL?

Tony.
Old 22nd January 2016, 11:28 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Oh, I'm pretty happy for music (although not being able to measure the frequency response irks me, proper test equipment is on the must buy list), I just don't know how it'd go for home theater, and its too big for the rear speakers.
Old 22nd January 2016, 11:39 AM   #4
rutager is offline rutager  Australia
diyAudio Member

Well hello there!
Old 22nd January 2016, 12:15 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Joining the dots with rutager's recent post ... You're in Brisbane?

I don't have much spare time (work, newborn and a huge pile of unfinished projects to work on) but ...

I'm also in Brisbane. I have a calibrated mic and an spl meter ... Seems like they're the parts you're missing. I'm by no means a speaker expert but if you're not in a rush (to work in with my schedule) I could try to bring some stuff around to help get the speakers measured and have a yarn about ideas.

(Send me a pm if you're keen)

Chris
Old 22nd January 2016, 12:31 PM   #6
esgigt is offline esgigt  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The tweeter specs : http://www.seas.no/images/stories/pr..._datasheet.pdf

SPL = 92 db
Old 22nd January 2016, 02:40 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

That sounds great Chris, will PM you tomorrow. Esgigt, yes, that's the data sheet, but you might notice that my measured parameters are different to the manufacturers specs, so I wouldn't lean too heavily on that data.

Hi Rutager, fancy seeing you here, as you can see, I'm still working on this a snail might move faster
Old 22nd January 2016, 04:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

What I would suggest, is invest some time in designing a good kit, then sell that kit for money.

Your community could make quite a bit of dough.

Are there local woodworkers who could make cabinets?

Of course, could always sell them on ebay individually, but it's kind of cool to think of your community having the most and best home theaters.

Best,

Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeineaddict View Post
Hi All,

A few months ago, a local community tinkering/making group (Hackerspace) I sometimes frequent was donated a large number of drivers from an audio supply place who was clearing out old stock.

They are:

Woofers: SEAS P17RE/P (Over 500 drivers)
Tweeters: SEAS 27TFF (Over 350 drivers)
Sub-Woofer: Peerless 830533 (I forget how many, but a lot)

I have taken my own T/S measurements of the drivers to the best of my limited abilities.

Woofer: Fs=90hz; Re=6.3Ohm; Qms=1.323; Qes=0.958; Qts=0.555; Sd=120cm^2; Vas=7.991litre; Spl=90dB/W/m

Tweeter: Fs=1025hz; Re=4.5Ohm; Qms=1.98; Qes=1.16; Qts=0.73; Sd=7.5cm^2; (looks like I didn't get the SPL sorry)

Sub: Fs=38hz; Re=2.7Ohm; Qms=8.52; Qes=0.497; Qts=0.469; Sd=353cm^2; Vas=63.651litre; Spl=90.46 Db/W/m

Nobody at the Hackerspace knows much about speakers, so I'm the guy (I know very little, although I've been bitten by the bug and am keen to learn and build).

I designed and built an MLTL in a TMM arrangement with MJK's worksheets, which i'm sort of happy with, but I don't yet have a mic to take proper measurements. I have the electronics to measure impedance etc. though.

The problem I have is that they have promised my father a new 5.1/5.2 surround system for his home theater in return for a donated piece of machinery, and I've been stuck in the middle of making it happen and designing a system.

What i'd like to know is, given the drivers available, is it possible to construct a reasonable or better home theater setup, and how do I go about doing it. I have like I mentioned a lot of drivers to play with, wood workers who could build me any cabinet I asked for.

The theater is a square room built for the home theater, with two levels, each one containing a row of 5 plush recliners as an indicator of size. I don't have exact room dimensions atm, but I can get them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i'm tearing my hair out here trying to figure out how to make this work...

Regards,
Andrew.
Old 22nd January 2016, 05:40 PM   #9
jReave is offline jReave  Canada
diyAudio Member

Given the number of drivers you have access to, I would kind of go wild and build speakers with multiple drivers, probably similar to a MTMWWWW or some variant where the Mids are still the same Seas driver as the Woofers but with the mids probably sealed and the woofers ported. Along the likes then of the Uluwatus.

High SPL's would be effortless.

If you have the space, I'd do the same for the CC with the MTM section stacked vertically and if space is more limited, just MTM's for the surrounds.
Old 22nd January 2016, 10:42 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The room size is as follows.

6m*6m, looking at the screen, the roof on the left has a height of 3.2-3.3m, and it radius's down to 0m on the right with a 6.5m radius (the house is a Nissan Hut/airplane hanger design, the theater is on the top floor).

There is a step approx 300mm heigh, 2m from the back.

The floor is double layer mezzanine, the walls and roof are a two part expanding epoxy like they use to make props in movies, covered over a layer of polystyrene.

Hide this!Advertise here!